The Police Department & You

Big_Smokes

9 hours ago, Tennplugg said:

Kinda feel weird to hear about near fights between deputies and officers, as a deputy in SD, I’ve seen people have their opinion about PD. But never have I seen a fight. 

We all have our ic interactions which forms a certain opinion about one another, good or bad. Which is what it is, as long as that stays ic. As for the fights, I think it was the gala? I heard something about it. Don't take my word for that😅

• Upvote 1

Hey guys,

As of lately I haven't really been posting any messages on this thread as I was busy with changing things internally and I haven't really been keeping an eye on the general forums. With that being said, it was my last day serving as the Faction Leader of the LSPD. We attempted and somewhat managed to accomplish a few goals we outlined in the past and attempted to meet the community's demands to portray a more realistic police department, compared to what we were in the past.

It was a tough road internally and it is quite hard to change the mindset in a faction with over 150 members. We still got a lot of support and I would be lying if I said our roleplay improved a lot. Every faction has its bad apples but the image is important and we weren't there yet. I do know a lot of faction members tried to change this image and tried to be a more approachable and realistic department from a community POV, despite what some faction members internally wanted.

I made an agreement with Server Management to accomplish this goal with their support and they have given me the chance and space to do so. I do want to thank @Nervous and @Notbond for the chance they gave me to lead this amazing faction and I want to give a special thanks to @Jester. for all his support, guidance. I could always rely on him and he was and still is a great help towards the faction.

Continue what we started and don't let our work go to waste.

• Upvote 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Applaud 4

I have a genuine question and please don't take this as a hostility towards PD or bashing. I really want to know, for my own sanity and for the sake of the current, multiple threads going on about the issue I would love to hear from the source about this current ongoing topic and very heated topic at that.

What's the deal with extortion? Why aren't more cases of extortion brought to justice? Is it because of the long-form investigations that ultimately end with someone getting a short sentence for being caught and then back out on the street days later? It it the lack of Detectives or Investigators to look into these claims? Personnel issues to complete the investigations? Do people (business owners) genuinely not call and report extortion? Is it an OOC fear of shutting down factions?

I've seen discussions from multiple prominent illegal RP'ers lately practically advocating for more police interaction with this specific issue. We have surveillance tools now that could be used to catch audio/video of these extortion situations. We live in an age of technology. CCTV cameras, wires, bugs, trackers, these are things that we have at our disposal on this server. This next part is no reflection on PD because it requires DOJ involvement, but just to make my point, there have been a total of 3 judicial cases that even mention the word/charge of extortion. 3. With all that goes on in this server, only 3 cases? I would venture to bet that at least half the businesses on this server have been or are currently being extorted in one way or another. I could be wrong, but from internal discussions, it seems quite prevalent.

Are there internal OOC reasons within the PD faction impeding IC avenues for extortion enforcement? If so, how can it be fixed by management? What rules need to be changed? I have had nothing but good interactions with PD and I applaud for whoever is at the top for leading it in the right direction. I just want to hear a logical reason as to why this particular issue seems neglected so much. Extortion RP can be a lot of fun, when its done right. I think some real and consistent pressure from the PD/DOJ factions could help alleviate the issue as well. I have heard one, great example of pressure being applied IC'ly on the Conti Crime Family and @UTOPIA even mentioned it was insane and created some superb RP within the faction. These are things that should be done on a wide scale. At the end of the day, I am simply a concerned citizen that sees this is a real problem on the server and I just want to know what can be done about it (if anything) and understand why nothing has been done about it already (except for the example from the Conti Crime Family) on an IC level. Where does the issue lie? Pretty please help me to understand and many others who share similar concerns (as evidenced by a 20+ page thread on extortion RP). Thank you!

Edited by Cypher
6 hours ago, Cypher said:

snip

I'm not exactly part of any investigative divisions in PD, but if I had to guess? They're simply not high priority at the moment for the people who are. For every extortion attempt I'm willing to bet there's at least five murders, and I don't see that statistic going anywhere any time soon. I could be completely wrong, but that's my assumption.

7 hours ago, Cypher said:

I have a genuine question and please don't take this as a hostility towards PD or bashing. I really want to know, for my own sanity and for the sake of the current, multiple threads going on about the issue I would love to hear from the source about this current ongoing topic and very heated topic at that.

What's the deal with extortion? Why aren't more cases of extortion brought to justice? Is it because of the long-form investigations that ultimately end with someone getting a short sentence for being caught and then back out on the street days later? It it the lack of Detectives or Investigators to look into these claims? Personnel issues to complete the investigations? Do people (business owners) genuinely not call and report extortion? Is it an OOC fear of shutting down factions?

I've seen discussions from multiple prominent illegal RP'ers lately practically advocating for more police interaction with this specific issue. We have surveillance tools now that could be used to catch audio/video of these extortion situations. We live in an age of technology. CCTV cameras, wires, bugs, trackers, these are things that we have at our disposal on this server. This next part is no reflection on PD because it requires DOJ involvement, but just to make my point, there have been a total of 3 judicial cases that even mention the word/charge of extortion. 3. With all that goes on in this server, only 3 cases? I would venture to bet that at least half the businesses on this server have been or are currently being extorted in one way or another. I could be wrong, but from internal discussions, it seems quite prevalent.

Are there internal OOC reasons within the PD faction impeding IC avenues for extortion enforcement? If so, how can it be fixed by management? What rules need to be changed? I have had nothing but good interactions with PD and I applaud for whoever is at the top for leading it in the right direction. I just want to hear a logical reason as to why this particular issue seems neglected so much. Extortion RP can be a lot of fun, when its done right. I think some real and consistent pressure from the PD/DOJ factions could help alleviate the issue as well. I have heard one, great example of pressure being applied IC'ly on the Conti Crime Family and @UTOPIA even mentioned it was insane and created some superb RP within the faction. These are things that should be done on a wide scale. At the end of the day, I am simply a concerned citizen that sees this is a real problem on the server and I just want to know what can be done about it (if anything) and understand why nothing has been done about it already (except for the example from the Conti Crime Family) on an IC level. Where does the issue lie? Pretty please help me to understand and many others who share similar concerns (as evidenced by a 20+ page thread on extortion RP). Thank you!

I have never personally seen someone trying to report extortion, be it in person or via 911/email. There are 100% instances when it was reported but none that I can come up with. There is nothing that prevents PD from investigating extortion or making it low priority or a lower priority than anything else, it's just that it doesn't come up, people rarely report extortion.

2 minutes ago, Rozi said:

I have never personally seen someone trying to report extortion, be it in person or via 911/email. There are 100% instances when it was reported but none that I can come up with. There is nothing that prevents PD from investigating extortion or making it low priority or a lower priority than anything else, it's just that it doesn't come up, people rarely report extortion.

Likewise, I haven't seen extortion roleplayed at all in the server. I'd be more than happy to roleplay extortion and complete a wholesome report and investigation if it was brought to light.

Extortion would be difficult to prove if it wasn't ongoing and long term. That is, the person doing it would have to keep it up for a long time so that the victim had time to report it and the authorities had time to collect evidence of it occurring. If it only occurred once or twice it wouldn't be easy to prove it actually happened, considering the case would be based solely on the word of the victim.

Extortion cases in real life are juicy investigative targets but they're usually part of long investigations (such as RICO cases) for this reason.

24 minutes ago, Brown Buffalo said:

Hello,
Brown Buffalo very pleased with the interactions I have had with the LSPD. They are very kind.
Dawn is a very nice person both IC and OOC.
Dawn should be chief.

Thank you.

Thats quite a jump but thank you Brown Buffalo.

• Wuhtah locked and unlocked this topic
  • Wuhtah locked this topic