Why do people identify civilians as "rats" immediately?

Sasquatch98

19 minutes ago, TacticalDR3AD said:

Well, there's a number of things that you can do both OOCly and ICly to tell someone who's roleplaying an illegal character or roleplaying with a gang based faction. Such as how they portray their character, for instance, their /me's /do's. Even down to their appearance that your character would see (when you do /ex). Their /attributes can say it all, such as any tattoos, facial features, shit like that you know? So yeah, there's a number of things that you can do to spot an illegal roleplayer.

Greyfeather and I were addressing an "obvious type" of illegal roleplayer, not just illegal roleplayers, in general. 

I only read through the first three-four pages of this topic but it seems either everyone I've interacted with on the server define "mallrats" as something else than people have said in this thread or just made those assumptions from their own experiences.

Personally what I define a mallrat as are these players who own six different luxury sports cars and only race around Banham or go to every club all night. And then you see them working as a trucker or as a mechanic at a garage. I just personally think that's poor portrayal of character but still I guess it's their choice to do so, I just think it's terrible RP. Now however that doesn't mean every civilian roleplayer is a mallrat. In-fact having only playing illegal faction/criminal characters, I really enjoy rp created with civilians who portray their characters great. People that struggle with money while working a 9-5 at a gas station, truckers that drive their beat up truck to a bar to get a beer after their shift is done. Stuff like that. Thought I'm not saying everyone should play poor characters with no money, I've interacted with my fair-share of wealthy characters, the difference being they own companies or run successful nightclub or other businesses and aren't working a trucking job or grinding paychecks as a mechanic to end up owning luxury penthouse apartments and multiple expensive vehicles. That's my take and I mean no offense to anyone, just an opinion to throw out. And I never played on LSRP, I honestly thought this was a common term on GTAW when I first heard and began to utilize it.

Edited by BigSleezy

I think its honestly a trend that followed from LSRP.  The term rat or Mall rat comes from LSRP and I think as a whole with that mentality it carried here.  In LSRP it was defined as the group of people who just rped at the mall in their sports cars and thats all they did all day.   In LSRP civi rp wasn't as large as here because imo LSRP was way more gang focussed due to the side of gang areas and the player base.  So civis here get that title I guess

Bruh mallrats lost an essence of grand theft auto game itself, they turn the whole game into the sims. Nothing wrong with it but their character development and portrayal is super poor. There is someone alrdy explain it above they just be chilling around grinding paychecks not really do anything impact the vibe of roleplay atmosphere in LS, they might be the reason why the economy is fucked up bcs they got so much money off the scripted job.

Edited by ohshititsali
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, ohshititsali said:

Bruh mallrats lost an essence of grand theft auto game itself, they turn the whole game into the sims. Nothing wrong with it but their character development and portrayal is super poor. There is someone alrdy explain it above they just be chilling around grinding paychecks not really do anything impact the vibe of roleplay atmosphere in LS, they might be the reason why the economy is fucked up bcs they got so much money off the scripted job.

I strongly disagree with that part. I think that the server goal should be loosing GTA essence. Server should be inspired in real LA, and factions like ULSA or the goverment are great for that purpose. Also business like record labels, movie productions, logistics, white collar roleplay are things that should be encouraged. There's even a Veterinary RP going on, and if that's turning the game into the sims it's great! It's true that there are civilians that don't have a realistic character, chilling around all day without much roleplat, but there are many others who are creating deep and realistic roleplay, like dating, socialization, college lifestyle, legal jobs, etc. There should be more opportunities for those who aren't interested in violence RP like a mob, gang or LEO.

• 2 weeks later...

There's different types of rats imo.
There are mallrats with their massively tuned sports car racing through LS, depressed lesbians/trans with grey hair doing drive by's on a Bati or whatever.
Also there's hoodrats portraying the most hardened gangmember down for whatever or mass murdering Saweetie lookalike gang females running around with a draco upping the score for their neighborhood before they even turn 16.
In the end of the day it just comes down to your RP and your ability to portray and develop your character. 

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, kartoffel said:

There's different types of rats imo.
There are mallrats with their massively tuned sports car racing through LS, depressed lesbians/trans with grey hair doing drive by's on a Bati or whatever.
Also there's hoodrats portraying the most hardened gangmember down for whatever or mass murdering Saweetie lookalike gang females running around with a draco upping the score for their neighborhood before they even turn 16.
In the end of the day it just comes down to your RP and your ability to portray and develop your character. 

This should be pinned in guides, as HOW YOU SHOULDN'T PLAY your character.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic