Why do people identify civilians as "rats" immediately?

Sasquatch98

Just now, DLimit said:

As a criminal roleplayer, I enjoy the presence of legal RPers. It provides diverse situations. I'd prefer if legal RPers interacted with criminal RPers, more frequently, to the extent that they purchase a gram, here and there.

I've never seen an "Us vs Them" situation.

And I fully do agree with you but those legal roleplayers who do that don't sit on the forums 24/7 crying how bad the illegal community is. I've got a lot of love for people who simply roleplay residents of an area and hang with locals etc.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Yoshijira said:

I can genuinely say the exact same thing.

Are you aware of how many times Gang RP'ers need to deal with debatable RP from legal RP'ers? Take for example MS13 literally having fecal matter and various bodily fluids thrown onto the couch at the spot they usually chill at for pressing people and simply saying "Where you from, you bang?" and then the overall justification being, "Oh well we were being threatened!"

Or the amount of times a PF wielding legal RP'er went all gung hoe in South Central and immediately took any provocation as a threat upon their life, pulled their PF and started shooting? Or anybody just failing to RP fear when they're surrounded by seven angry Latino gangbangers and continuing to act like they've got plot armor all over their character? Or even random legal RP'ers just taking the houses in South Central because they're dirt cheap and failing to RP what living in such an area would be, still continuing to drive nice and fancy cars and mapping out their houses to be wildly extravagant?

These are also daily issues that illegal RP'ers, hell legal hood RP'ers, deal with. Can I separate myself from it and recognize that these RP'ers coming over there are not indicative of all Legal RP? Yes.

Both sides of the river brandish guns and bare fangs at each other. I simply cannot describe it any other way. And it happens exactly because, what gets the attention the most are trigger happy vigilantes, die hard hardcore winners, who think defusing a fist fight by flashing a pistol is the way to go, yes it is a way go. In gang rp, not in civilian life. Every civilian when confronted in real life tries to wiggle out of the situation asap, possibly without altercation. Not by flashing guns or even shooting. Other side, criminals of all kinds are known to take it out on unsuspecting or weaker prey, yes even big international syndicates have soldiers or even el tees who may entertain themselves with a street brawl behind their favorite club. It's just the way. It happens, somewhere daily, somewhere it doesn't. It's life yes, but when comparing the numbers with the real world, it shows that LS civilian either was robbed several times already, or will be. That is an inevitable reality civilian players roleplay with. That every day and night there is a high chance someone will jump them for whatever reason, there is nothing else to it, just numbers.

Edited by Engelbert
4 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

Where did I say specifically that my issue was exclusively with "gangs shooting gangs"? Feel free to find that exact quote from my responses.

My main concern, as stated multiple times, is the relationship between the civilian and the criminal community. Civilians have no real forcible means or interest in attacking criminals that is not against the rules or just outright impossible tedious, whereas criminals have a number of advantages that are leveraged against the civilian community, and with what should be the most rare crime of all (murder), the proportional scaling of lesser crimes similarly goes up. Muggings in central are a weekly occurrence, and Soreno Team Six is just what was caught - more shootings and Los Santos gang related crime are still occurring in the mountains.

...and none of the action being taken to combat it is visible. Is there action being taken to combat this? I do not know, it is kept private. A pretty big downfall if your goal is to establish trust with your victims.

Report it. You're once again generalizing the entire community. Also, here's a couple tips on how to not get robbed: get a gun/knife/fucking whatever, don't visit dangerous and/or poverty ridden areas (Vespucci, Davis, Strawberry, El Burro, Rancho) after dark, don't carry huge amounts of cash on yourself. It's as simple as that. How come during a month of roleplay I've been robbed only once? You're exaggerating the issue.

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
1 minute ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

And I fully do agree with you but those legal roleplayers who do that don't sit on the forums 24/7 crying how bad the illegal community is. I've got a lot of love for people who simply roleplay residents of an area and hang with locals etc.

I mean, you have a good chunk of people claiming that illegal roleplayers should engage in more passive roleplay to develop themselves beyond JUST the criminal life. Yet, whenever I attempt to interact with legal RPers? Some of them OOCly ignore you. Maybe... they ignore us because a very small chunk of illegal RPers have displayed poor RP efforts in the past. But, they shouldn't automatically jump the gun and perpetuate the cycle of "us vs them".

I believe it all boils down to the fluency between legal/illegal roleplay. What about semi-legal roleplay? Does being a criminal make your character unable to have a normal life? Does being a corrupt cop make you less of a legal roleplayer? I feel like people misunderstand the idea and resort to locking themselves in some mental-ghettos way too often.

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
10 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

I believe it all boils down to the fluency between legal/illegal roleplay. What about semi-legal roleplay? Does being a criminal make your character unable to have a normal life? Does being a corrupt cop make you less of a legal roleplayer? I feel like people misunderstand the idea and resort to locking themselves in some mental-ghettos way too often.

I believe you are right, people have their own comfort zones each and everything that does not match their vision, is bad.

Edited by Engelbert
22 minutes ago, DLimit said:

As a criminal roleplayer, I enjoy the presence of legal RPers. It provides diverse situations.

A well roleplayed mugging, even if it ends with gun violence, can be amazing when genuinely roleplayed correctly. Prior to recent rule revisions, I made it a habit of carrying fifty thousand dollars to reward to the good criminal roleplayers that genuinely expressed an interest in creating fun and engaging roleplay for both sides.

22 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Only aspect that I HEAVILY dislike about SOME legal roleplayers is that they automatically ignore any one that may potentially be a criminal OR act like they wouldn't fear hostile gang members (John Wicks).

We should meet sometime! My characters may be a refreshing change of pace.

18 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

what gets the attention the most are trigger happy vigilantes, die hard hardcore winners, who think defusing a fist fight by flashing a pistol is the way to go

It is so much more fun and challenging to go without the use of possession of a firearm. As a personal compromise I made when joining the server, the results of staying away from the use of firearms has been a 10/10 experience. It removes so many complications.

17 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

You're once again generalizing the entire community.

You are entirely free to champion the goal of making IFM discussions public. It would diffuse so many of the misunderstandings and, if you and others are to be believed, would reveal the process through which you self-police. No room for generalizing then!

gun/knife/fucking whatever

Ah, yes, so we can have SIX to EIGHT deaths daily instead of five. Great way to fix the unrealistic violence issue!

don't visit dangerous and/or poverty ridden areas (Vespucci, Davis, Strawberry, El Burro, Rancho)

...central, Sandy Shores, Mt. Chiliad, Blain county in general...

Arguably the whole island. The Colombian bike-riding robbers are really good at reaching out, and Soreno Team Six is still hard at work killing sheriff's deputies in the mountains.

. How come during a month of roleplay I've been robbed only once?

Criminal networks and reputations tend to make one pretty robust against other criminal elements. I am willing to bet however that you know more people who have been involved in robbing or extorting someone.

You're exaggerating the issue.

To the contrary, I have done research as YOU requested. If you think it is an exaggeration, let us see your numbers now.

3 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

I believe you are right, people have their own comfort zones each and everything that does not match their vision, is bad.

It is an unfortunate generalization. I do not think muggings or shootings are bad. Really, the core issue is that crime overall is out of control, and it is having negative implications. 

The real scuff though, is when blame is shifted. "Look at what you made me do" is a real situation criminals seem to be visiting on civilians, mugging them, extorting businesses to shuttering, and then blaming some unseen civilian trespass as the trigger. Sometimes it is legitimate, as I thoroughly believe the John Wicks of the civilian world NEED to be gunned down, but when it comes to then punishing other unrelated civilians? That is a little too far...

5 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

It is an unfortunate generalization. I do not think muggings or shootings are bad. Really, the core issue is that crime overall is out of control, and it is having negative implications. 

The real scuff though, is when blame is shifted. "Look at what you made me do" is a real situation criminals seem to be visiting on civilians, mugging them, extorting businesses to shuttering, and then blaming some unseen civilian trespass as the trigger. Sometimes it is legitimate, as I thoroughly believe the John Wicks of the civilian world NEED to be gunned down, but when it comes to then punishing other unrelated civilians? That is a little too far...

It is unfortunate, but true. People are people, different standards for different people, I for instance, like to walk around the city. And I do that. During the day and night sometimes too. Yes I risk to be robbed on every step, which is the sad reality I am trying to fight against. The numbers, as usual. It happens in big cities in real life yes, happens daily. But if we take a look at statistics of Los Santos at 900+ player base, we will see, that every second player is either criminal, cop or a victim. There is nothing else in those numbers.

6 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

Yes I risk to be robbed on every step

Which is fine! Good muggings can be fun. 

...but good muggings are also rare. As the population grows, it is likely it will become even less likely to encounter a mugging with anything more than the bare minimum roleplay.

And with the new money robbing limit changes, I cannot carry around fifty thousand to reward the good roleplayers any longer. One of my best methods of trying to improve the situation has been stripped...

• Wuhtah locked this topic