Do we have too many additions to the world?

Paenymion

So, we know there are often issues with texture loss at events and scenes where there are many vehicles and people.  Riots...social events...big LEO and FD scenes.  People with weaker computers suffer earlier and more than people with better computers.  Is there a case to start thinking about /removing/ items from the world, instead of constantly adding things?  For example, we have the map mod that added lots of extra trees, posts and other things.  We have various telephone booths that have been added, and bus stops.  Around the port, we have many barriers, concrete posts and cones.  To me it seems like GTA5 was kind of finely balanced: the vanilla world is detailed about to the max, without causing issues.  On GTAW we have MANY custom assets: custom clothes, custom hair, custom vehicles.  And then when you combine that with all the extra STUFF on the streets that we have to load, it just leads to people not being able to attend these events because everything disappears.

So should we think about what can be removed?  Nobody is using these bus stops, nobody is using these hotdog stands.  Do the extra trees *really* add to our RP if it means when 20 people gather in that area, the road disappears? We should be frugal about what is added imo. I would ask people who have top end computers to keep those who do not in mind 🙂

These issues are not created by server addition, they are created because Ragemp is an incredibly bad multiplayer client. Texture loss is not caused by the mods we have but by Ragemp being shit. If we would run a vanilla server with 0  mods and have gigantic scenes, texture loss would still occur.

• Upvote 3

I'm inclined to agree with stringer here. I absolutely understand why those frustrated by regular texture loss might look for even miniscule things that might help them out a tiny bit, but the truth is that added assets (especially when you consider that things like custom vehicles are pre-downloaded prior to the launch of the game) are really not the main culprit of texture loss.

Couple that with the fact that some of the larger mapping projects (Charlston, the new Mirror Park - an outstanding piece of work by @Oggy) add incredible amounts of role-playing potential to the server, versus an eye-sore of a mall and pointless construction work.

If the main argument here is that payphones and EV charging stations are responsible for your texture loss, then I feel that those players were already working with a losing hand from the get-go. That's unfortunate, but it is also a fact.

1 hour ago, stringer said:

These issues are not created by server addition, they are created because Ragemp is an incredibly bad multiplayer client. Texture loss is not caused by the mods we have but by Ragemp being shit. If we would run a vanilla server with 0  mods and have gigantic scenes, texture loss would still occur.

Even though RageMP is far from the peak of optimization and without mods we're still pushing the Rage engine to it's limits (GTA:Online is limited to 32 players for a reason, we have around 700+ of them) I do feel mods increase the frequency of texture loss, if only a little.

I think people are acting intentionally ignorant when claiming modded vehicles and hundreds of modded clothing have absolutely no effect on texture loss.

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

I'm inclined to agree with stringer here. I absolutely understand why those frustrated by regular texture loss might look for even miniscule things that might help them out a tiny bit, but the truth is that added assets (especially when you consider that things like custom vehicles are pre-downloaded prior to the launch of the game) are really not the main culprit of texture loss.

Couple that with the fact that some of the larger mapping projects (Charlston, the new Mirror Park - an outstanding piece of work by @Oggy) add incredible amounts of role-playing potential to the server, versus an eye-sore of a mall and pointless construction work.

If the main argument here is that payphones and EV charging stations are responsible for your texture loss, then I feel that those players were already working with a losing hand from the get-go. That's unfortunate, but it is also a fact.

I also agree here, fact is that these are minor causes of said issues. As others have pointed out, yes the RAGEMP client is very heavily pushed to it's limit and I believe that is where the breaking point is occurring.

• Wuhtah locked this topic