Do we have too many additions to the world?

Paenymion

17 minutes ago, Valkyr_ said:

honestly a full rewrite and optimization would probably fix many issues but its a mass amount of work, you still need to push out updates for the main game whilst working on the rewrite so it'd take way too much time

Basically, this here is important. Most "big optimizations/rewrites" that are done in the video gaming world, are done by a separate team, along with normal updates. One team keeps pushing normal updates while another, usually smaller, focuses on reworking all the old code and pushing new better coding practices.

The issue here is that while it's very doable (but already expensive/complicated) for a gaming studio made of professionals, paid to work 7-8 hours a day... it's not really the environment we got here on GTAW. 

Problem is, if the dev team focuses on the rework, they will most likely need to stop pushing new features in the meantime. While most of us here would be like "oh I don't mind 😄 ", the fact is that it can take a long while and have very real consequences. Some here may remember the infamous "6RP", the o-so famous new reworked script for an old server named 5RP. The focus on the new optimized script ("6RP") took so long that the server received nothing new in almost a year, players trickled out (to GTAW 😛 ) and the server eventually died. 

Now don't get me wrong, I think a nice clean rework would be insanely useful and valuable. But like you said there Valkyr, it's a lot more complicated to do than it seems at first glance 😞 

• Wuhtah locked this topic