Blaine County & It's portrayal (?)

marbella mondays

Just now, Marksman said:

You mean, based on the lore of a game thats entire purpose is to be a parody and joke of everything it imitates?

Then no wonder people are pissed off.

Honestly, whats the fuzz even about?

Lets make a topic about LS being an 80% lesbian population before starting to look at good RP in Blaine.

Ive been roleplaying in Blaine County for about a week now, and Im more impressed than the RP I see in the city.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

Honestly, whats the fuzz even about?

Lets make a topic about LS being an 80% lesbian population before starting to look at good RP in Blaine.

Ive been roleplaying in Blaine County for about a week now, and Im more impressed than the RP I see in the city.

This is is the attitude that advocates for poor roleplay. Blaine County's population is undeniably a mere fraction of the city's, there's far more room for improvement. It's easier to amend considering the smaller population. To say that the "people roleplay poorly in the city therefore it's OK for Blaine to reflect that" is an attitude to be avoided - turning a blind eye because another far larger area is untouched is a turn for the worse. 

I hope you understand.

Edit: I have to address, I understand why certain people in this thread are getting defensive and passive-aggressive to a degree; but that's not the way to go about it. The least that can be done is help grasp the issue and resolve it. The majority of arguments in this thread have been very defensive and emotional, plenty of denial. If a counter-point is brought up, at least make sure it's validated.

Edited by Gall
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1

Damn city folk comin to our forums now.  But in seriousness, sure it's a valid point but it always comes down to the age old argument of "what's realistic" vs what is GTA.   As people have said, Blaine County in GTA heavily promotes the stereotype.  Most of the houses are falling apart trailers with TVs blasting and people shouting.  Signs say you'll be shot for entering etc.  So are we trying to portray "Desert Shores" as it is in real life or "Sandy Shores" as it is in GTAV?  Personally I think the second is more colourful and rich.  As others have said, not EVERYONE there roleplays extreme hick anyway, there are many who speak mostly normal and are just kind of your typical small town people.  I guess the most extreme just stand out more though, so you notice them.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Paenymion said:

Damn city folk comin to our forums now.  But in seriousness, sure it's a valid point but it always comes down to the age old argument of "what's realistic" vs what is GTA.   As people have said, Blaine County in GTA heavily promotes the stereotype.  Most of the houses are falling apart trailers with TVs blasting and people shouting.  Signs say you'll be shot for entering etc.  So are we trying to portray "Desert Shores" as it is in real life or "Sandy Shores" as it is in GTAV?  Personally I think the second is more colourful and rich.  As others have said, not EVERYONE there roleplays extreme hick anyway, there are many who speak mostly normal and are just kind of your typical small town people.  I guess the most extreme just stand out more though, so you notice them.

For my response to this, I'm gonna type the same message out twice. And you tell me which seems dumb. I'm gonna type the whole damn thing out in that goofy ass speech pattern that the RPers use in Sandy. In the second, I'm gonna type it out as I would say it.

Wale hayull feller, fer the lyfe uh may, I cain't evun beegin tuh uhderstayund whyyy the hayulll ainybuhdy wooUld thank thayut jis becaws sumbidy leyuvs eeyun a traaylur er eyus teww poour tuh feeyix they howse thayut it meens thayut thayur eh buunch uh buk toofed seeyister fuckin' heeyicks.

So I don't understand why that anyone would think that because someone lives in a trailer or are too poor to fix up their house it automatically turns them into the this stereotype of a buck toothed sister fucking hick.

So you see how it's basically the same message? What's the difference? One is insanely taxing to to read, especially if you don't know what you're looking for. And it also brings to mind someone with about who's mouth looks like a gate to a haunted house, wears a sleevless flannel vest, a trucker hat, has a car in his driveway on blocks, and a 400 pound wife. What you guys are doing isn't colorful or rich. It's the visual representation of Jeff Foxworthy's "You might be a Redneck" albums. It's not nearly as good as you think it is. 

I've tried to roleplay in Sandy on several occasions. My long time character is kind of a country boy, and I can tell you as someone who actually is one, him going out there was like oil and water. Didn't mix. Every single person I met out there asked he was "Wunuhh theyum fellers fruhm thuh citay." and when it came out he was living in Paleto "Dayum feller, yew muhst be reeyul reeyich ayus hayull." 

It's insanely off putting to deal with at every turn when you're out there. And while a lot of people are like "Wow, this is amazing. Look at this rich accent and different style of roleplay...." they know about as much about playing someone from the country as the people in Sandy do.

4 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

For my response to this, I'm gonna type the same message out twice. And you tell me which seems dumb. I'm gonna type the whole damn thing out in that goofy ass speech pattern that the RPers use in Sandy. In the second, I'm gonna type it out as I would say it.

So you see how it's basically the same message? What's the difference? One is insanely taxing to to read, especially if you don't know what you're looking for. And it also brings to mind someone with about who's mouth looks like a gate to a haunted house, wears a sleevless flannel vest, a trucker hat, has a car in his driveway on blocks, and a 400 pound wife. What you guys are doing isn't colorful or rich. It's the visual representation of Jeff Foxworthy's "You might be a Redneck" albums. It's not nearly as good as you think it is. 

I've tried to roleplay in Sandy on several occasions. My long time character is kind of a country boy, and I can tell you as someone who actually is one, him going out there was like oil and water. Didn't mix. Every single person I met out there asked he was "Wunuhh theyum fellers fruhm thuh citay." and when it came out he was living in Paleto "Dayum feller, yew muhst be reeyul reeyich ayus hayull." 

It's insanely off putting to deal with at every turn when you're out there. And while a lot of people are like "Wow, this is amazing. Look at this rich accent and different style of roleplay...." they know about as much about playing someone from the country as the people in Sandy do.

Can we stop generalizing? This is not every single person.

• Upvote 2

The generalizing in this topic is actually nuts. I’ve been in the county for a few weeks and there’s only two people I’ve ran into that actually type like what is said to be “common” here. Frankly, it didn’t and doesn’t bother me at all and feels ridiculously nit picky.

9 hours ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

Blaine County is portrayed as it is within the GTA lore, with some mixed aspects of IRL.

What are people doing following the GTA lore on GTA World, a roleplay server in the first place lol? It's not called "GTA World: Singleplayer knockoff RP". And everytime someone tries to push realism and improve the rp on the server like this thread it's always this bs GTA lore excuse, it makes no sense.

If you really portray Blaine County as it is in the GTA lore then that's the problem right there lol. It's the same mentality as making Chamberlain Families and Ballas factions in Davis meanwhile every faction on the server goes against the lore. Nobody gives a shit about the lore really if you ask around.

Edited by Nathan_Maestas
  • Moonsong locked and unlocked this topic