Blaine County & It's portrayal (?)

marbella mondays

I'll open by saying my main char does live in Sandy. 

I think it is a sweeping generalisation to say every character in Blaine is a cookie version cutter of the next. It couldn't be further from the truth. It's a real mix of characters ust like any large area irl would produce. Some people do hate the city, others enjoy going to the city, some people do have strong accents, most don't.  I've played all over the sever and one key reason for enjoying life in Blaine is the the sheer variety of characters that exist. 

I think least we can do is appreciate the country folk for even trying to blow some American feel into this whole thing. Most of Los Santos City just feels like a virtualized discord server where people are not even characters but rather their irl avatars.

3 hours ago, eTaylor said:

All that “fer” stuff is stupid. I can’t take people who type like they serious. The second I see people type like that I typically avoid them like the plague. It’s grammatically wrong, it’s phonetic garbage. And it’s something people were doing on other servers. Really reminds me of CHC from nearly a decade ago. I speak with a southern accent, and I’ve never typed “fur’ yuak’auh ‘gueh’sue’nurrr fush’!”. It’s trash bag roleplay, you’re just as bad as a mallrat in the traditional sense. 

Most words in common usage today are or were informal conjunctions of prepositions of old words. It's the equivalent of saying "ain't" isn't a word. Fer, like the words: ain't and innit are informal words in common usage because of regional dialects in English. For fucks sake it's literally in 3 different dictionaries. Same as feck as a replacement for fuck. 

You ain't gotta take anyone seriously, you just gotta understand them and inherently connect written word to their regional dialects IC. If they've done that, then they've done their part. Continue to avoid them like the plague, probably doing them a favour. You sound really stressful to be around. Same for anyone that overly nitpicks rp in any sense. Bad roleplay is one thing, but it not being to your preference doesn't make it poor. 

I think Waggle hit the nail on the head a few posts ago, on page 4.

Edited by Karner
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
2 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

So I'm Southern, right? I have an accent. I have several pairs of boots. I have several cowboy hats, and anyone in the PD discord can tell you I post pictures of BBQ I cook fairly regularly. I know lots of rednecks. I know lots of Cajuns. I know a decent number of people I'd call hillbillies, though they don't live in the hills. But I would say I'm almost an expert on how people from the country are. Because I am that. And I realize there are differences geographically but it's generally fairly similar. Country is country wide.

But the county roleplayers are not any of that. What a piece of them are, and it's the most polarizing piece is, this trailer trash amalgamation of every stereotype of country that you saw on LivePD and Cops.

I can tell you that as someone who knows people like that, and I know people like myself who are just from the boonies and are otherwise fairly normal, we hate them. Can't fucking stand them. They breed the stereotype of people from the country being stupid, illiterate idiots who can probably get you some meth and fuck their cousins. We don't do any of that, unless you're from that Roll Tide state. 

These heavy accents of "Hay thare feller. Haw yew durin' tuhdayyy?" It's over the top and frankly speaking it's too much most of the time. It comes down to a lack of research, and I realize that it's not nearly as easy as researching gang culture. But y'all gotta do something if you're trying to accurately portray someone from out in the middle of nowhere. We speak normally. There might be some colloquial slang that people would take as hick, but for the most part, it's fairly normal conversation. 

And all this stuff about people who are from the country and were poor and move to a different part of the country to keep being poor. It doesn't make sense. It seems that you've probably never been poor. If you're poor, then you're probably not leaving from where you are to go be poor somewhere else.

And as far as work, I get it - you don't want to spend your time doing RP at "work". Maybe you do. I don't know. But a lot of people in that demographic wouldn't have college educations. If they did, they'd have jobs in the city, where those degrees would take them. They instead, have professions they work with their hands. Lots of construction, pipe liners, stuff like that.

There are small changes that can be made to the culture of the county without offending the populace and going into a mass reconstruction of the roleplay out there. But I think the first thing that needs to be acknowledged is an issue, and the notion that you don't have to act like a buck toothed sister fucking hick just because you don't live in the city. But from what I've seen, if you suggest anything, it's just bashing. So - you know....

good shit

28 minutes ago, Karner said:

Most words in common usage today are or were informal conjunctions of prepositions of old words. It's the equivalent of saying "ain't" isn't a word. Fer, like the words: ain't and innit are informal words in common usage because of regional dialects in English. For fucks sake it's literally in 3 different dictionaries. Same as feck as a replacement for fuck. 

You ain't gotta take anyone seriously, you just gotta understand them and inherently connect written word to their regional dialects IC. If they've done that, then they've done their part. Continue to avoid them like the plague, probably doing them a favour. You sound really stressful to be around. Same for anyone that overly nitpicks rp in any sense. Bad roleplay is one thing, but it not being to your preference doesn't make it poor. 

I think Waggle hit the nail on the head a few posts ago, on page 4.

Fer was a bad example, it’s all the stuff that comes with it. The ridiculous amount of apostrophes everywhere, the random self-invented words. It’s not even English anymore at some points. I mean, have you ever seen the screenshots? It’s not the y’all or the howdy. It’s the “yh’ualls!” and the “haw’deh” that are stupid. I’ve never seen a decent well constructed character talk like that. They’re always some piss poor out of place hick stereotype, and they never last. There are ways to portray dialect, the southern vernacular in fact has written grammar that differs per region. But it isn’t what I’ve seen. “A‘nawh yh’uals. Dis’ ‘erheh ain’t ‘Eyng’lush!” It’s not good roleplay, and sure that’s a subjective opinion, but I’m sticking to it. It’s racist.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

Fer was a bad example, it’s all the stuff that comes with it. The ridiculous amount of apostrophes everywhere, the random self-invented words. It’s not even English anymore at some points. I mean, have you ever seen the screenshots? It’s not the y’all or the howdy. It’s the “yh’ualls!” and the “haw’deh” that are stupid. I’ve never seen a decent well constructed character talk like that. They’re always some piss poor out of place hick stereotype, and they never last. There are ways to portray dialect, the southern vernacular in fact has written grammar that differs per region. But it isn’t what I’ve seen. “A‘nawh yh’uals. Dis’ ‘erheh ain’t ‘Eyng’lush!” It’s not good roleplay, and sure that’s a subjective opinion, but I’m sticking to it. It’s racist.

I can absolutely agree with you if it's taken to the CHC levels and levels you've described it's a turn off. Most dialects It make sense to cut off wording using the apostrophe especially for celtic and rural accents. I can personally attest to the fact that most people I encounter in my time in Sandy tend not to do it in an immersion breaking, or way that indicates they're bad RPers. Hell, I don't know... oftentimes I actually hear their character's accent in my head because of the way they type and I find it awesome.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Karner said:

I can absolutely agree with you if it's taken to the CHC levels and levels you've described it's a turn off. Most dialects It make sense to cut off wording using the apostrophe especially for celtic and rural accents. I can personally attest to the fact that most people I encounter in my time in Sandy tend not to do it in an immersion breaking, or way that indicates they're bad RPers. Hell, I don't know... oftentimes I actually hear their character's accent in my head because of the way they type and I find it awesome.

That’s perfectly fine, I have that too. I can tell somebody character is Irish just by the way they type for example, but that CHC stuff is genuinely bad. A pet peeve sure, but still..

6 hours ago, Skar said:

With a little research into Palm Desert and Desert Shores, Palm Desert seems to not resemble of anything even remotely in Blaine County (Maybe places like Chumash or Paleto) and Desert Shores itself is also a very odd place. Because Palm Deserts is VERY developed and even Desert Shores is filled with houses not a mix mash of small crappy houses and trailers in what looks like a super rundown area or even a place full of farmland like Grapeseed. Blaine even has a place based off California's Slab City and, at least from what I've seen on the internet and heard of it, is full of some very very interesting people. And Sandy Shores, which is said to be based off Joshua Tree and Niland, only really resembles Niland which is also full of very interesting and colorful people.

As many other people have said, some of the people Roleplaying in Blaine roleplay as locals and some roleplay as people from the opposite ends of the country and some roleplay from the other ends of the world. Just like the Real United States, California included, there's all sorts of different kinds of people from all corners of the earth that manage to find themselves in some of the oddest places, small ones included.

As for the issue with the way some people speak In-game and what not, If you actually incorporate all off the places that Blaine County resemble in the base game  you can't at all complain about what kind of people you run in to out there. Because there's so many types of places that GTA 5 injected into the county it's insane. To add to the way people speak and portray themselves. I've lived in western US all my life and only ever lived in California, Arizona, Oregon, and Colorado.  The way people pronounce crap over here is all over the place from very formal "you are" to "yer", "t'one" to "the one" and so on.

When it comes to people out there being like "ahh I hate city folk", that mostly comes from IC situations that have continued to evolve out there from when more often then not, random people clearly from LS (from street gangs to more organized crime type individuals) decide to come out to Blaine to conduct robberies on individual(s), extortion, or just to cause a ruckus. That aspect of it, from my experience of 5 months in Blaine, stems from people like that coming from LS into the county and doing some rather stupid things.

There may be a few bad apples as there are with anything in life, but I don't see an issues with the majority of people who roleplay in Blaine County as of right now. I don't see any need to address this 'problem' as there doesn't seem to even be one.

Consider SaintBatemanofWallStreet's post on page 6, he struck all the good points. A lot of the spelling and form of writing seen from these groups are ridiculous and stereotypical. The "hey feller how yew doen" accents are over the top and a plaguing trend throughout Blaine County; Sandy Shores to be specific. Whether Sandy Shores is based on Desert Shores or not, you wouldn't see people talking like hicks along LA county or any neighboring counties in California. The issue's drawn people away from roleplaying in the area, including myself.

It's a portrayal issue at best, people from the South have little to no reason to move to a rundown town like Sandy Shores. It's far fetched, a downgrade at its finest. And as I've said, if we're taking that into hypothesis; it'd be a rare case and not groups of people fulfilling their RDR fantasies. I understand the thread may upset the groups of people in question but it's an issue worth addressing in my eyes. I believe the thread's intended to help bring these issues to light, not bash the people in question. 

"Blaine even has a place based off California's Slab City and, at least from what I've seen on the internet and heard of it, is full of some very very interesting people. And Sandy Shores, which is said to be based off Joshua Tree and Niland, only really resembles Niland which is also full of very interesting and colorful people."

To address your point, throughout the video I've failed to find someone that speaks as the people in Sandy Shores/Blaine County do on the server. The people in Slab City are junkies who spend their days high. With some digging into the people living in Niland, California - they don't fall under the hick bracket either.

I appreciate the thread owner for bringing these issues to light, and I hope people roleplaying in the county could at least grasp the issue and overcome denial for the better.

5 hours ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

So I'm Southern, right? I have an accent. I have several pairs of boots. I have several cowboy hats, and anyone in the PD discord can tell you I post pictures of BBQ I cook fairly regularly. I know lots of rednecks. I know lots of Cajuns. I know a decent number of people I'd call hillbillies, though they don't live in the hills. But I would say I'm almost an expert on how people from the country are. Because I am that. And I realize there are differences geographically but it's generally fairly similar. Country is country wide.

But the county roleplayers are not any of that. What a piece of them are, and it's the most polarizing piece is, this trailer trash amalgamation of every stereotype of country that you saw on LivePD and Cops.

I can tell you that as someone who knows people like that, and I know people like myself who are just from the boonies and are otherwise fairly normal, we hate them. Can't fucking stand them. They breed the stereotype of people from the country being stupid, illiterate idiots who can probably get you some meth and fuck their cousins. We don't do any of that, unless you're from that Roll Tide state. 

These heavy accents of "Hay thare feller. Haw yew durin' tuhdayyy?" It's over the top and frankly speaking it's too much most of the time. It comes down to a lack of research, and I realize that it's not nearly as easy as researching gang culture. But y'all gotta do something if you're trying to accurately portray someone from out in the middle of nowhere. We speak normally. There might be some colloquial slang that people would take as hick, but for the most part, it's fairly normal conversation. 

And all this stuff about people who are from the country and were poor and move to a different part of the country to keep being poor. It doesn't make sense. It seems that you've probably never been poor. If you're poor, then you're probably not leaving from where you are to go be poor somewhere else.

And as far as work, I get it - you don't want to spend your time doing RP at "work". Maybe you do. I don't know. But a lot of people in that demographic wouldn't have college educations. If they did, they'd have jobs in the city, where those degrees would take them. They instead, have professions they work with their hands. Lots of construction, pipe liners, stuff like that.

There are small changes that can be made to the culture of the county without offending the populace and going into a mass reconstruction of the roleplay out there. But I think the first thing that needs to be acknowledged is an issue, and the notion that you don't have to act like a buck toothed sister fucking hick just because you don't live in the city. But from what I've seen, if you suggest anything, it's just bashing. So - you know....

Edited by Gall
  • Moonsong locked and unlocked this topic