Blaine County & It's portrayal (?)

marbella mondays

3 minutes ago, wickedsource said:

Not sure what OP expected when making this thread, obviously just to bash Blaine County. If management feels like it's an issue they will implement rules and moderate how Sandy Shores "speaks". (Still makes me laugh that people just get so upset over it) 

So if someone could lock and archive this, since like all those other "Area & portrayal" threads have worked out so well in the past. 

Bash Blaine County? What are you on? This is a general question about the portrayal of Blaine County and how it's currently portrayed.

3 minutes ago, wickedsource said:

Not sure what OP expected when making this thread, obviously just to bash Blaine County. If management feels like it's an issue they will implement rules and moderate how Sandy Shores "speaks". (Still makes me laugh that people just get so upset over it) 

So if someone could lock and archive this, since like all those other "Area & portrayal" threads have worked out so well in the past. 

I don’t think they’re bashing Blaine county at all, you’re just adding a negative connotation to it. Not meant like that at all, it is a forum after all. People talk about stuff.

7 minutes ago, Sacred said:

Bash Blaine County? What are you on? This is a general question about the portrayal of Blaine County and how it's currently portrayed.

6 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

I don’t think they’re bashing Blaine county at all, you’re just adding a negative connotation to it. Not meant like that at all, it is a forum after all. People talk about stuff.

Which will solve what? 

Discussing how Blaine County locals speak? Give me a break, not even you two are that dense.

Edited by wickedsource
  • Applaud 1
1 minute ago, wickedsource said:

Which will solve what? 

Discussing how Blaine County locals speak? Give me a break, not even you two are that dense.

I’m not sure what the problem is, there’s not a whole lot to “solve” here if anything. People are just talking lol, take it easy. I think you’re misunderstood somewhere, it’s not that serious.

1 minute ago, wickedsource said:

Which will solve what? 

Yeah I think you need to be the one who gets administrative action taken against him. Holy fuck bro, you're MAKING this thread get L&A'ed. Hop off the thread if you're just here to talk shit & not provide anything of value. The OP is pointing out how Blaine County is portrayed incorrectly. 

40 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

All that “fer” stuff is stupid. I can’t take people who type like they serious. The second I see people type like that I typically avoid them like the plague. It’s grammatically wrong, it’s phonetic garbage. And it’s something people were doing on other servers. Really reminds me of CHC from nearly a decade ago. I speak with a southern accent, and I’ve never typed “fur’ yuak’auh ‘gueh’sue’nurrr fush’!”. It’s trash bag roleplay, you’re just as bad as a mallrat in the traditional sense. 

A lot of people in California state "fer" and "yer" to make it easier to flow with their sentences. Easier to say "Doin' it fer you" than "Doing it for you", especially with how fast many of them speak.

36 minutes ago, Sacred said:

Blaine County is portrayed as it is within the GTA lore, with some mixed aspects of IRL.

Its fine, while we're at it we should open a thread about the city and how many lesbians live there in comparison to straight females.

People are making a fuzz over nothing. Enjoy the game, RP, and if you don't like an area, don't go it it.

• Upvote 1

So I'm Southern, right? I have an accent. I have several pairs of boots. I have several cowboy hats, and anyone in the PD discord can tell you I post pictures of BBQ I cook fairly regularly. I know lots of rednecks. I know lots of Cajuns. I know a decent number of people I'd call hillbillies, though they don't live in the hills. But I would say I'm almost an expert on how people from the country are. Because I am that. And I realize there are differences geographically but it's generally fairly similar. Country is country wide.

But the county roleplayers are not any of that. What a piece of them are, and it's the most polarizing piece is, this trailer trash amalgamation of every stereotype of country that you saw on LivePD and Cops.

I can tell you that as someone who knows people like that, and I know people like myself who are just from the boonies and are otherwise fairly normal, we hate them. Can't fucking stand them. They breed the stereotype of people from the country being stupid, illiterate idiots who can probably get you some meth and fuck their cousins. We don't do any of that, unless you're from that Roll Tide state. 

These heavy accents of "Hay thare feller. Haw yew durin' tuhdayyy?" It's over the top and frankly speaking it's too much most of the time. It comes down to a lack of research, and I realize that it's not nearly as easy as researching gang culture. But y'all gotta do something if you're trying to accurately portray someone from out in the middle of nowhere. We speak normally. There might be some colloquial slang that people would take as hick, but for the most part, it's fairly normal conversation. 

And all this stuff about people who are from the country and were poor and move to a different part of the country to keep being poor. It doesn't make sense. It seems that you've probably never been poor. If you're poor, then you're probably not leaving from where you are to go be poor somewhere else.

And as far as work, I get it - you don't want to spend your time doing RP at "work". Maybe you do. I don't know. But a lot of people in that demographic wouldn't have college educations. If they did, they'd have jobs in the city, where those degrees would take them. They instead, have professions they work with their hands. Lots of construction, pipe liners, stuff like that.

There are small changes that can be made to the culture of the county without offending the populace and going into a mass reconstruction of the roleplay out there. But I think the first thing that needs to be acknowledged is an issue, and the notion that you don't have to act like a buck toothed sister fucking hick just because you don't live in the city. But from what I've seen, if you suggest anything, it's just bashing. So - you know....

Edited by SaintBatemanofWallStreet
  • Upvote 4
  • Applaud 3
40 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

So I'm Southern, right? I have an accent. I have several pairs of boots. I have several cowboy hats, and anyone in the PD discord can tell you I post pictures of BBQ I cook fairly regularly. I know lots of rednecks. I know lots of Cajuns. I know a decent number of people I'd call hillbillies, though they don't live in the hills. But I would say I'm almost an expert on how people from the country are. Because I am that. And I realize there are differences geographically but it's generally fairly similar. Country is country wide.

But the county roleplayers are not any of that. What a piece of them are, and it's the most polarizing piece is, this trailer trash amalgamation of every stereotype of country that you saw on LivePD and Cops.

I can tell you that as someone who knows people like that, and I know people like myself who are just from the boonies and are otherwise fairly normal, we hate them. Can't fucking stand them. They breed the stereotype of people from the country being stupid, illiterate idiots who can probably get you some meth and fuck their cousins. We don't do any of that, unless you're from that Roll Tide state. 

These heavy accents of "Hay thare feller. Haw yew durin' tuhdayyy?" It's over the top and frankly speaking it's too much most of the time. It comes down to a lack of research, and I realize that it's not nearly as easy as researching gang culture. But y'all gotta do something if you're trying to accurately portray someone from out in the middle of nowhere. We speak normally. There might be some colloquial slang that people would take as hick, but for the most part, it's fairly normal conversation. 

And all this stuff about people who are from the country and were poor and move to a different part of the country to keep being poor. It doesn't make sense. It seems that you've probably never been poor. If you're poor, then you're probably not leaving from where you are to go be poor somewhere else.

And as far as work, I get it - you don't want to spend your time doing RP at "work". Maybe you do. I don't know. But a lot of people in that demographic wouldn't have college educations. If they did, they'd have jobs in the city, where those degrees would take them. They instead, have professions they work with their hands. Lots of construction, pipe liners, stuff like that.

There are small changes that can be made to the culture of the county without offending the populace and going into a mass reconstruction of the roleplay out there. But I think the first thing that needs to be acknowledged is an issue, and the notion that you don't have to act like a buck toothed sister fucking hick just because you don't live in the city. But from what I've seen, if you suggest anything, it's just bashing. So - you know....

source.gif

• Moonsong locked and unlocked this topic