Modify Rule 9 to include suicide as disgusting RP.

I agree. Sure, a lot of suicides are usually preceded these days by some sort of post on social media - but I don't think anyone on the server has ever done it correctly.

Not to mention, all too often does someone decide to kill their character, call 911 from the top of some building so that it turns into a huge scene, and, with their minds made up to do it anyway, decide to waste the time of everyone who turns up by jumping no matter what.

It's tedious roleplay, especially for those of us who end up having to interact with that jumper directly, when it's very clear their mind is made up OOCly and they're giving their character no lee-way by forcing the roleplay in a direction that makes no sense.

I'd say it's fine as long as the RP isn't forced on anyone. Abit like ERP I guess? Don't do it in public, people involved have to be 18+ and OOC consent has to be given. As much as I agree that it is a game that is.. 18+, GTAW has made rules to specify that anyone who's under 18 can't partake in particular types of RP; I think that suicide should be among some of the genres of RP that should be 18+.

I don't think banning it out right is a good idea as there are RPers that genuinely make.. Impactful RP scenarios with suicide.. Attempted suicide and such. If a character naturally develops to that state.. Then for the sake of Rp it should be allowed - counted the factors mentioned before were met. 

I read someone saying that they got annoyed because as working as a paramedic they had a lot of suicide calls. I mean. at the end of the day, that's.. Your character, you chose to join that faction. Instead of complaining OOCly, I'd suggest developing your character about it- How it effects them and what not.  No one's forcing you to RP a paramedic. 

Edited by AdamZZ

If you don't like it like me just avoid it like me, boom problem solved. If everyone was doing that nobody would stand on the rooftop of a skyscraper, crying for attention for hours, but there's clearly people that like giving attention to those in need so people keep doing it since it seems to be a working method. 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 1

¡Hola! I hope everybody is okay 🙂
I'm going to reply to this suggestion because, even though this can be taken as a general thing for future players (because obviously I'm not the first or last person to RP this), clearly this one was made after seeing the post about my character "Evangeline Bratten" (yes, that's me). I totally respect this suggestion and your opinions. I've had several characters and this is the first time I've role-played a suicide with one of them (in this case, Eva, as I mentioned). Many here are confusing OP's reason for the suggestion (some talking about FB and others about committing suicide in-game in public), soooo to clarify:

1) When my character committed suicide in-game, I did it away from other players respecting the consent rule. The only person who was there during that RP was a friend of my character... and Evangeline was already dead. Also, it wasn't a gore or violent roleplay. And yes, I know that on the server there is the behavior (which already seems more like a meme) about "My partner broke up with me IC, so I'm going to kill myself", but this was not the case for my character. She had already been diagnosed with depression since she was little, but she never showed it on FB or in person to try to stay strong. So in that case, I was never looking for attention. While she was growing up (and according to her story), she was getting worse, adding to it the constant daily harassment that she suffered through social media + in person (because she suffered from alopecia too). ADDITIONALLY, she had a confusing breakup with a guy. So yes, I agree that sometimes the reasons are not so clear and that some people do not respect the consent rule, but in this case I think I did it the right way.

2) Talking about posting it on FB, she hadn't posted anything in over a month and several people were worried in her DMs. So, just to let her contacts know, I decided to roleplay that her dad was going to post about the situation a few days later. And that's it, I'm not planning on continuing role-playing as her parents to keep using her FB. I never did it with the desire to offend anyone or to get attention from every user, but I totally understand that it could have caused frustration. I respect that and I apologize for it. So, in order for it not to be something "too strong", I simply decided that it was an emotional message from her parents and not give details of HOW she committed suicide, so as not to be explicit at any time. When I read something and it starts to bother me, I just stop reading and continue scrolling. No one is forced to read the whole thing until the end, but I get that everyone is different. From what I see, it's still reason enough to trigger people, and again, I apologize. I just didn't think a post like that would have such a big impact on players seeing how there is in-game violence/murder/blood, death from drugs/overdose (which can also affect people OOCly), provocative photos and all that, so I didn't do it on purpose.

If you want to modify the rule, go ahead, I have no problem. If any admin wants my FB post to be removed, please contact me. Again, I say all of this with respect and clearing up any misunderstandings, because I see a lot of you being genuinely concerned and some others just making fun of it. Thanks for your concern and suggestion!

Edited by purplehuman
some corrections

Mental health is a delicate and serious subject however I wouldn't consider someone making the decision to CK their character by self-inflicting pain on to themselves as disgusting roleplay. Sure, nobody wants to see that shit done in a public setting. Members of this community have the right to roleplay their character as they want. 

If you're going about this way of killing your character, just do that shit in private. Nobody wants to see screenshots or posts of you self-inflicting pain on to your character. 

1 hour ago, Chipsdose said:

If you don't like it like me just avoid it like me, boom problem solved. If everyone was doing that nobody would stand on the rooftop of a skyscraper, crying for attention for hours, but there's clearly people that like giving attention to those in need so people keep doing it since it seems to be a working method. 🤷‍♂️

LEOs & FD are forced to respond. This is not something we can just "avoid".

• Upvote 2
11 hours ago, Levitate said:

This is enough for everyone. It's a 18+ related game. Forgive me but in a game where blood, nudity and murder occurs, you now tell me you get offended by this. Simple, don't get involved AT ALL. IT'S YOUR CHOICE. 

I agree only with this part of the suggestion. 

Welcome to GTAW.

I'd give reasons but everyone already did.

Edited by Jennie