Modify Rule 9 to include suicide as disgusting RP.

i agree with it being offensive but even completely detached from that:

99/100 times it's cringey shit roleplay that is an OOC attention grab and nothing more. that probably shouldn't be allowed and definitely not so common?

doesn't seem like a hard equation to even just attack it from that angle

3 hours ago, sparkz said:

LEOs & FD are forced to respond. This is not something we can just "avoid".

You talking like it's real life, surely you can just tell your faction leader if asked that you aren't too fond of such rp hence why you didn't get yourself involved and every normal human being would understand that.

• Web Developer

Most of the scenes I have seen that involve people wanting to commit suicide in game have been really poor. It's usually done because the player wants attention OOC and craves the resulting drama; it's not even uncommon to have the same player OOC trying to pull the same thing on their characters one after another. And in my experience, the people who try to pull off this kind of roleplay have no regard for their character development anyway except trying to be involved in constant drama.

Apart from just being a pointless attempt at getting some (mostly OOC) attention, it also offers no good roleplay because the player either 1) never really intended to do it and just wanted the attention or 2) is just going to do it anyway regardless of anyone's attempts to interact with their characters. In both cases, it's a waste of everyone's time. There's no good character development to be had for anyone involved.

Not to mention the elephant in the room, being that suicide and mental health are very serious matters in real life and having people try to pull off some theatric suicide scenes in game (and forcing it upon others) because they just want some attention greatly undermines that.

If you want to do it in private, by all means, so long as everyone there consents OOC.

TLDR, it's not good roleplay nor character development. It's an attention grab and it undermines serious issues like mental health and suicide.

Edited by Gibbz
  • Upvote 1

Why are we allowing people to use characters they haven't created to post about the suicide of their character that isn't alive enough to make the post? More important, why are they making a character that knows another one of their characters? 

Pretty sure that's a very obvious and deliberate disregard for the rules, in such a fashion that should be easy to both report and punish?

If their character is dead, that's it, there shouldn't be any further commentary unless it is a different person OOC with an actual character on the server available to make the post. Conjuring an NPC or "Your mom" to say that someone they knew just committed suicide, while not unrealistic, requires steps that are blatant rule breaks. Enforcing proper administrative action against these rule breaks should be both swift and significant.

Going into distinct detail on the way somebody commits suicide, that's offensive/disgusting RP. But restricting people in being able to RP suicide is kind of unnecessary, I understand it may be a touchy subject for some - but so are gangland shootings and general street-oriented violence that occurs regularly on the server.

I think it comes down to roleplay quality, where if people are committing suicide purely from a lack of care for their character - that's a problem with quality of roleplay and if within a faction - that should be nipped in the bud.

Suicide is the 12th leading cause of death in the US and the 4th leading cause of death for adolescents, sadly millions of people commit suicide on a yearly basis. I'm not validating anyone's shit RP by saying this, however inflicting restrictions on suicide is super unfair for the people who's character commit suicide with a heavy amount of detailed RP and development to that point.

RIP Bobby

• Upvote 1

Personal Opinion.

I do not mind suicide RP as long as the rp is done correctly, just like with any other rp situation. I do not believe that restricting the rp is right, as murder is also allowed. To me, the only difference between the two is the killing is done by another person instead of themselves.

I've done CNT in the PD for a short while, and it's one of the most pointless qualification due to the fact that 9/10 players do not rp suicidal people correctly and mostly just want to CK. 

I understand that people might be affected by such rp, but that could be the same with general shooting, or people being beaten up. Can't restrict everything. If you don't enjoy such rp, exclude yourself from it. If the rp isn't realistic, report it. 

Again, this is my personal opinion.

• Upvote 3

Honestly if people want to just CK their characters by suicide. I don't see any reason why not doing it quietly.

If you want to build a whole scene around it, like overdosing in metro station, pick a time when FD is active so you can have some drama and rp.

But making a scene for the sole purpose of "hey witness me" lulz. Nah not necessary.

+1

Edited by Engelbert

9/10 times these public suicides are some of the most non sensical, boring and ridiculous scenes you can take part in. But a rule won't fix it. Let them do their dumb ass attention seeking then ban them for their horrible rp. Server's standard goes up, less cringey suicide scenes. Win win.