Modify Rule 9 to include suicide as disgusting RP.

53 minutes ago, Valkyria said:

boy do i have to tell you what else is in the game but isn't on the server

suicide "roleplayers" are extremely cringe, uninformed and, i'm gonna say it — stupid. you pull in a different amount of people (yes, some have to be there due to them being in X or Y faction such as PD, SD, FD or whatever). and waste their time because you (the player, really) want attention. during my time here, not a single suicide "roleplay" scene was good, engaging, interesting, or even valid for the most part, and i've seen some ridiculous shit going on such as people watching a jumper while holding hands.

yes, it happens in real life.

no, it's not good roleplay.

if you want to send your character to the no-return zone, here's a solution that's not nearly as cringe and tedious

db318a2f46f61709b14c58cdf7c0d551.png

i've had people (pd/sd) who attended these god-awful "roleplay" scenes with me pming me asking me if they'd get in trouble if they left because it's uncomfortable for them. please ban this stupid cringe

I don't think it can be banned entirely but restricting it behind Offensive RP rules is a good way to at least not get bothered with this often questionable RP when you don't want to see it. 

as a person who's been directly effected by suicide in my real life, i agree with the OP. i'm of course not saying that there's no way to properly use suicide as a theme in rp, or even to kill your own character. instead, i'm saying that the way suicide rp is USUALLY handled on gtaw breaks several rules that are already in place - and it should be directly addressed in clear language. plenty of dark subjects like murder, addiction, abuse, etc, are a common part of life on gtaw. for the most part, they're done realistically and have rules written for them specifically to ensure the quality of these types of roleplay. i believe there should also be a clear addition about suicide in these rules for the same reasons the others exist. here are the rules that i believe most public suicide rp on gtaw is already breaking, and why.

public suicide is powergaming. powergaming as defined in gtaw rules includes: "It is not allowed to force actions upon another player. You are not allowed to roleplay a non-player character." public suicide roleplay is not only forcing a particular type of roleplay on other players, but would directly effect any invisible npcs that might be realistically present at the time, in a way that could potentially influence the entire city in nothing but negative ways. a person who uses public suicide rp is forcing all other characters not only to be an audience to it, but an active participant in it. that sort of incident can force character arcs, create lifelong trauma, etc.  you're forcing actions and reactions on other players and that is, by definition, powergaming.

public suicide rp is usually metagaming. metagaming as defined in gtaw rules includes: "All characters you create cannot interact with each other in any way. You may not use a third party to transfer IC information from one of your characters to another one of your characters either. You may not reference any of your other characters." posting on facebrowser or in game as another character directly related to your own is metagaming, as is using information gained or given through ooc means between your characters. almost every time i've seen suicide rp on this server so far, the "They're Gone" post has always been done by a family member or friend that is also the same player. ALL of that behavior is defined by gtaw as metagaming.

public suicide is offensive roleplay as already defined in the rules offensive roleplay rules in gtaw include: "Offensive roleplay must be conducted away from other players and areas where players are likely to stumble across it. It is the responsibility of the players participating in the offensive roleplay to try to keep it away from players that may be uncomfortable with witnessing it." you're forcing traumatic roleplay on people in a way that otherwise would at LEAST require ooc consent. for the same reason you cant make an information marker or note that depicts gory suicide, you obviously shouldn't be able to do the actual event in the public eye in essentially the exact same way.

thank you bye

Edited by KFA
  • Upvote 5
13 minutes ago, KFA said:

as a person who's been directly effected by suicide in my real life, i agree with the OP. i'm of course not saying that there's no way to properly use suicide as a theme in rp, or even to kill your own character. instead, i'm saying that the way suicide rp is USUALLY handled on gtaw breaks several rules that are already in place - and it should be directly addressed in clear language. here are the rules that i believe most suicide rp on gtaw is already breaking, and why.

public suicide is powergaming. powergaming as defined in gtaw rules includes: "It is not allowed to force actions upon another player. You are not allowed to roleplay a non-player character." public suicide roleplay is not only forcing a particular type of roleplay on other players, but would directly effect any invisible npcs that might be realistically present at the time, in a way that could potentially influence the entire city in nothing but negative ways. a person who uses public suicide rp is forcing all other characters not only to be an audience to it, but an active participant in it. that sort of incident can force character arcs, create lifelong trauma, etc.  you're forcing actions and reactions on other players and that is, by definition, powergaming.

public suicide rp is usually metagaming. metagaming as defined in gtaw rules includes: "All characters you create cannot interact with each other in any way. You may not use a third party to transfer IC information from one of your characters to another one of your characters either. You may not reference any of your other characters." posting on facebrowser or in game as another character directly related to your own is metagaming, as is using information gained or given through ooc means between your characters. almost every time i've seen suicide rp on this server so far, the "They're Gone" post has always been done by a family member or friend that is also the same player. ALL of that behavior is defined by gtaw as metagaming.

public suicide is offensive roleplay as already defined in the rules offensive roleplay rules in gtaw include: "Offensive roleplay must be conducted away from other players and areas where players are likely to stumble across it. It is the responsibility of the players participating in the offensive roleplay to try to keep it away from players that may be uncomfortable with witnessing it." you're forcing traumatic roleplay on people in a way that otherwise would at LEAST require ooc consent. for the same reason you cant make an information marker or note that depicts gory suicide, you obviously shouldn't be able to do the actual event in the public eye in essentially the exact same way.

thank you bye

You make alright points on the rest, although I'd be cautious with the first though because from that frame literally a significant chunk of roleplay done is powergaming because you're forcing actions on others including NPCs that would be around. That's especially true for any roleplay that hosts some violence like a punch, stab, shooting, hitting someone with your car, etc

Edited by OceanWind
12 minutes ago, OceanWind said:

You make alright points on the rest, although I'd be cautious with the first though because from that frame literally a significant chunk of roleplay done is powergaming because you're forcing actions on others including NPCs that would be around. That's especially true for any roleplay that hosts some violence like a punch, stab, shooting, hitting someone with your car, etc

i understand what you're saying, though i disagree with the "slippery slope" premise. when you go outside at night in los santos you might see someone get stabbed, and your character has to react to that in a realistic way. something you might also see is a character standing atop a building giving a monologue about how their boyfriend left them and now they were going to splatter their guts on the concrete, making their personal roleplay everyone else's problem. only one of those two scenarios, in my opinion, is powergaming.

the stabbing is one character against another, more than likely with things like addiction, poverty, and other realistic reasons being the underlying reason for the stabbing. and any immediate bystanders have to react to that rp realistically. the desired outcome of the roleplay in this situation is usually directly related to the characters involved, leading to realistic character development.

the public suicide on the other hand, is one character against every nearby character, with the underlying reasons usually being something like a frustrating breakup, or facebrowser bullying, etc. the desired outcome of this roleplay is for the attention, and for a captive audience, or as "revenge" on someone else's character. nothing about this situation is authentic nor does it provide anything of substance to character development, so it feels like powergaming to me.

hope that helps explain what i meant. basically the difference is if the reasons for the roleplay is specifically to force a captive audience, which most public suicide rp undoubtably is, it's powergaming imo.

Edited by KFA

This is an adult game, a game where characters deal with dark stuff. Drugs, violence, depression and loss. Suicide is a natural part of it.

But if the FB posts have taught us anything... (and this thread is about FB for those that read the first post and not just the title.)

...it should be limited to the people who are part of your story. It is when it is hoisted on people who didn't sign up for it, that it is clearly an issue, be it as seen as uncomfortable, triggering or cringe.

Like anything, in the right context, with the right people who is invested in the story and the character, suicide can be a powerful rp experience and story beat.

Edited by Natala
  • Upvote 5