Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

3 hours ago, KinnyWynny said:

gtaw probably has some of the worse writers on average for a roleplay server

its show dont tell not;

/me has lived his entire life in poverty, surrounded by a crime riddled neighborhood, which causes him to act out infront of the police officer.

or

/me is a veteran police officer who doesn’t take bullshit

or

/me is a hard bitten gangbanger with a violent streak and reps for his local gang

or my favorite

/me now hates x character for doing x thing infront of him.

please stop emoting thoughts and context we can’t see. please. let us figure it out using context clues, appearance and emoted body language.

I just turn around and leave when that happens.

9 hours ago, KinnyWynny said:

gtaw probably has some of the worse writers on average for a roleplay server

its show dont tell not;

/me has lived his entire life in poverty, surrounded by a crime riddled neighborhood, which causes him to act out infront of the police officer.

or

/me is a veteran police officer who doesn’t take bullshit

or

/me is a hard bitten gangbanger with a violent streak and reps for his local gang

or my favorite

/me now hates x character for doing x thing infront of him.

please stop emoting thoughts and context we can’t see. please. let us figure it out using context clues, appearance and emoted body language.

People srsly do that? That's like Roleplaying 101 on what not to do.

17 hours ago, Kappaurel said:

Here it goes...

A person born male OOC will never be able to accurately portray a character born female IC

A person born female OOC will never be able to accurately portray a character born male IC

I believe I have used the correct words to not offend anyone while still expressing my opinion, sure hope so!

So can male authors only write stories with an all-male cast of characters? At the end of the day, we're all portraying characters. Whether or not people put the time and effort into ensuring that their character is portrayed realistically, irrespective of gender, is something that's down to the individual player. 

Whilst I understand that shared experiences between you and your character might lead to a more realistic portrayal of your character's own experience. It seems so narrow-minded and misguided to limit people's creative freedoms based solely on their gender when people have shown countless times that you don't need to live the same experience as somebody to empathise with and comprehend their situation.

Edited by Georgeous
  • Upvote 1
17 hours ago, csx said:

I'd say it doesn't really matter which gender you are OOC, rather how well you can realistically portray a character. It doesn't help that there is some bad roleplayers in the server but I don't think it has anything to do with gender really. Other then maybe males creating female characters simply to erp which is just outright weird in my opinion. 

i'm pretty sure every lesbian character is portrayed by an irl male simply because they're too insecure in their heterosexuality to portray a hetero female. that's also why there's barely any gay male characters. guys, just stop erping and you're good lol.

//

i feel like this server caters too much to legal roleplayers. we got restrictions and rules to assure legal roleplayer's ic safety, rules that doesn't make any sense from a realistic point of view. why aren't we allowed to rob someone when using a car? this happens all the time irl. this rule has gotten so far that people report robbers for driving up on their bmx lol like bro, seriously? i get it, there were too many robberies happening before this rule was implemented but why does every illegal character have to suffer for the wrong doings of others? i remember the drama after cat ears were banned cause some people did some dumb shit with them, they were quickly added back in the game and even a male variant was added. all these rules make this game less enjoyable. other rp servers used to be fun cause you never knew what might happen. even if it was a bit unrealistic it still was fun, but on gtaw everybody always cries their eyes out if something bad happens to them icly. ofc things like rape, pedophilia and incest rp should be forbidden, but everything else? cmon now. now i can walk around everywhere knowing that the car that creeps past me can't just pull up and rob me. delete this stupid ass rule and punish the people that chainrob others out of ooc boredom or their ooc desire to get someone's gun.  it's like banning cars for everyone just cause some people are too dumb to drive realistically. or just limit it scriptwise, let the script allow players to use the /rob command only twice in 2 hours or w/e.

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, BadassBaboon said:

Marrone... I'm losin' my balls ova hea!

• LCN faction members are all cutout Soprano gabagoolers who just want to "Do business ova hea!"
  • LCN faction members do not wear modern clothing what-so-ever, it's either bowling shirts, beige pants or other 2006 style attires
  • LCN faction screenshots are just some dudes talking about "Doing business ova hea and ova thea!" with the occasional CK screenshots
  • LCN factions are no longer creative

https://streamable.com/uacj60

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1
38 minutes ago, damnbrah said:

i feel like this server caters too much to legal roleplayers. we got restrictions and rules to assure legal roleplayer's ic safety, rules that doesn't make any sense from a realistic point of view. why aren't we allowed to rob someone when using a car? this happens all the time irl. this rule has gotten so far that people report robbers for driving up on their bmx lol like bro, seriously? i get it, there were too many robberies happening before this rule was implemented but why does every illegal character have to suffer for the wrong doings of others? i remember the drama after cat ears were banned cause some people did some dumb shit with them, they were quickly added back in the game and even a male variant was added. all these rules make this game less enjoyable. other rp servers used to be fun cause you never knew what might happen. even if it was a bit unrealistic it still was fun, but on gtaw everybody always cries their eyes out if something bad happens to them icly. ofc things like rape, pedophilia and incest rp should be forbidden, but everything else? cmon now. now i can walk around everywhere knowing that the car that creeps past me can't just pull up and rob me. delete this stupid ass rule and punish the people that chainrob others out of ooc boredom or their ooc desire to get someone's gun.  it's like banning cars for everyone just cause some people are too dumb to drive realistically. or just limit it scriptwise, let the script allow players to use the /rob command only twice in 2 hours or w/e.

This is a very one sided view.

From this perspective, the server caters too much to all of the archetypes.

It caters too much to law enforcement roleplayers because they get the fastest cars, an overabundance of script support compared to any other type of faction.

It caters too much to illegal roleplayers, because weapons are extremely easy to obtain, forensic evidence is mostly non-existent, and jail is meaningless as a deterrent

It caters too much to civilians roleplayers because flashy cars are extreme easy to come by,  everyone's a supermodel, there's strict rules on robberies, etc.

The problem is that the shortcomings of the scripts in the server, and GTA5 in general, are constantly being abused from all directions. That isn't catering to legal roleplayers, its calling a halt to players who aren't interested in portraying characters and collaborating with each other to tell stories, but instead just are playing to 'win' at the expense of other players. If there's no smart way to stop this, then the rules have to be blunt. That's just how it is. In my view, your anger is misdirected. Take it out on the players who keep trying to exploit every single possibility to get ahead of others. If that wasn't happening, we wouldn't need all these rules. No one is sitting behind their desk on the forums, grinning evilly at themselves and thinking up on new rules to fuck a group of players over. They're implemented because there's no good way to combat the abuse otherwise.

• Upvote 1

Honestly I think it's a good thing that this server caters as much as it does to civilians instead of LEOs or Crims.

Every RP server I've been on that has a two-side dichotomy ends up throwing what doesn't feed into those two sides out the window eventually. It's dangerous, and over time it effectively has the server devolve into a battleground between those two factions. LEOs or Criminals, Military v Terrorists, CPs v Rebels, so on. Putting primary focus on the neutral faction ensures that the two dichotomies don't dominate.

• Upvote 4
5 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

This is a very one sided view.

From this perspective, the server caters too much to all of the archetypes.

It caters too much to law enforcement roleplayers because they get the fastest cars, an overabundance of script support compared to any other type of faction.

It caters too much to illegal roleplayers, because weapons are extremely easy to obtain, forensic evidence is mostly non-existent, and jail is meaningless as a deterrent

It caters too much to civilians roleplayers because flashy cars are extreme easy to come by,  everyone's a supermodel, there's strict rules on robberies, etc.

The problem is that the shortcomings of the scripts in the server, and GTA5 in general, are constantly being abused from all directions. That isn't catering to legal roleplayers, its calling a halt to players who aren't interested in portraying characters and collaborating with each other to tell stories, but instead just are playing to 'win' at the expense of other players. If there's no smart way to stop this, then the rules have to be blunt. That's just how it is. In my view, your anger is misdirected. Take it out on the players who keep trying to exploit every single possibility to get ahead of others. If that wasn't happening, we wouldn't need all these rules. No one is sitting behind their desk on the forums, grinning evilly at themselves and thinking up on new rules to fuck a group of players over. They're implemented because there's no good way to combat the abuse otherwise.

yea i get what you're saying and you made valid points, didn't quite change my opinion but still made me reflect a little 👍 

6 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

In my view, your anger is misdirected. Take it out on the players who keep trying to exploit every single possibility to get ahead of others

i ain't angry tho 🤣

8 minutes ago, mj2002 said:

No one is sitting behind their desk on the forums, grinning evilly at themselves and thinking up on new rules to fuck a group of players over.

you're right. they're not grinning, they're crying. but na seriously, i've witnessed people trying to go out of their way just to do that

• Upvote 1