Unpopular Opinion: The Thread

BINGBONGBALONEY
Message added by Nightmare,
  On 5/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, Nightmare Night said:

Hey guys, if this thread continues in discussion of factions, it's going to be locked and archived. It's just faction bashing at this point with no constructive criticism, just pointless opinions to flame at factions they don't agree with. Continue with other topics.

8 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

This server doesn't cater to civilians at all, they're by far the most oppressed group

Cross-referencing to the self-insert thread:

Thing is that in GTA, by its vanilla game design, the typical self-insert character is not (like in let's say Sims or Second Life or such) an idealized version of myself with better looks and more success in the job and with women.

The go-to self insert is, due to the nature of the setting with crime, either a ganger, a mob affiliate or a methhead-redneck.

Why? Those are the three archetypes presented to us in the singleplayer universe, and thus the natural inspirations for players before they manage to binge-watch all seasons of the sopranos and set up a proper LCN-setting (pun intended, replace sopranos with any other series and LCN with any other theme, you get me).

3 hours ago, DLimit said:

There's tons of restrictions... average person cannot rob a person with a vehicle AND can't really rob a person at various restricted zones without very good reason

I'm personally against arbitrary restrictions and am not sure what in the rules all really makes sense.

However, to pick up above:

The obvious intention behind such restrictions on criminal activity is that due to a predominantly crime-orientated population, and not enough pc-victims in relation, criminal activities get limited that way.

Of course, I think it would make much more sense to restrict criminal concepts as a whole (same as there's heavy gate keeping for law enforcers. Who then on top often deal with corruption opposed to combatting crime. Which can be funny rp but doesn't help civilians trying to well, live undisturbed at least.)

As mentioned above, a small-time criminal is just the go-to concept for a large portion of our playerbase- and with the current usual 600 players you'll naturally see exponentially more such characters in comparison to when the server ran with 200 players some years ago.

For apparent reasons fully restricting criminal concepts is something that's not even considered, as this is what caters to our playerbase.

So instead to raise the bar for criminal rp we have, rules to prevent car robberies so people still can play robbers in theory but not do it as much. Well.

Is what it is.

10 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

Getting a concealed weapon legally is harder on this server with a crime rate 4000 times higher than Los Angeles than it is in some American states.

Same people who get scammed while buying drugs talking about how easy it is to get guns illegally… 

• Upvote 3
11 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

If a masked dude pulls a gun on you as a civilian you're fucked.

You're acting as if that's unique to civilians. Civilians get robbed but criminals can and do get shot just for their affiliation.

Getting a concealed weapon legally is harder on this server with a crime rate 4000 times higher than Los Angeles than it is in some American states.

It's a two part application. I've done it and received a PF and CCW twice.

Civilians get CKed for defending themselves in a robbery, civilians get admin punished for interfering in a drive by.

Criminals get CKed for fighting back against an arrest or a warrant. Exactly the same thought process.

This server doesn't cater to civilians at all, they're by far the most oppressed group and if I had to play one I'd probably quit after a week.

Lol.

• Upvote 3
12 hours ago, pateuvasiliu said:

???

Does it? lol.

Admins always harp on about LEO vs Crim balance but where is the Civilian vs Criminal balance? If a masked dude pulls a gun on you as a civilian you're fucked.

Civilians get CKed for defending themselves in a robbery, civilians get admin punished for interfering in a drive by.

This server doesn't cater to civilians at all, they're by far the most oppressed group and if I had to play one I'd probably quit after a week.

CCW's are easy to get, if you fail the exam u definitely don't deserve one, just cause is easy when you live in LS so that's a non starter.

Yes LEO vs Crim will always be the "main" priority because the LSPD has 200 people at its peak, and criminals about the same from the various groups. It's just good business to focus on that.

Civilians get it fairly okay, there's one thing they get shafted on but i'll probably get banned if i mention it here but its me, its not hard to figure out what im talkin bout from my other posts.

and no Civilians don't get CK'd on robberies... bruh. In order to CK someone you have to have a valid and accepted REQUEST from IFM unless they are apart of the faction. You can't just be CK'd willy nilly bro, if u get shot defending yourself in a robbery (provided you didn't ass pull a gun with guns already aimed at you) then it'll just be a PK.

your last part is just wrong, straight wrong. I've played a civilian character in some form since 2017, the server staff brings in lots of features to support legal civvies, its just the toxic mentality of the player base which insists on shitting on people for the smallest reasons which may cause people to feel like that. But don't blame that on the server/staff. They do PLENTY to help us civvy rp'ers.

• Upvote 2

civilian characters have it pretty good on this server compared to every past server and that's a good thing lol, not every civilian character is a characterless supermodel drone that drives fancy cars and owns fancy houses just because they spent 80 hours working a bar... (though a lot of them are)

on that note people who upload 3-4 super sexy menyoos a week but have a 2 hour monthly playtime should be banned