PKs and how they give you respawn free of consequences

Kappaurel

20 minutes ago, Greyfeather said:

I have an RL friend who studies, tends bar on the weekend, drives for Uber Eats a night or two during the week, and also does prac-placement at a teaching hospital for his degree. I have another friend in a similar situation, but with different casual jobs.

Once the lockdowns ease up, I'll probably go back to doing something similar, depending on whether my old workplaces start back up.

I'm not derailing the thread, it's just that you said earlier "There's a limit to everything" in respect to characters who stay legal, but do multiple jobs at a young age. Since you are RPQM, I'm trying to get an assessment on what you think are the limits.

If you don't want to reply, that's fine. But you are RPQM and you also are part of the team that makes decisions about whether people do or do not get property applications approved based (in part) on a subjective assessment of whether their character development is or isn't realistic, so I think your opinion on this topic might be really helpful. Thanks.

My brother jumped from paperboy to politics and then to musician and politics at the same time, then left politics, worked for 5 or 10 different places like restaurants, etc etc in a different country while doing his music shit then came back and now works as SEO Expert and Ads Management (working for even 3 different companies at the same time or more, sometimes 5) in social media. He has 27 years old.

Edited by Xaleya

Taking the G6 example, why was PK seen as the best choice?  Wouldn't it have made more sense for the attack on him to just put him in a critical condition?  Then the character could spend time in the hospital and take the IC consequences following it.  I think PK has a lot of negatives but it IS the best/only choice in some situations.  But in others it seems to make more sense to cap the consequences at "brutally wounded/critical condition" so that the consequences can be played out.  People seem too eager to want kills all the time, even if it results in not ideal results from an RP perspective.

2 hours ago, Visceral said:

How do people only consider losing items/arrests a valuable punishment? If you are a good RPer the punishment for getting PKed is you are removed from a RP situation that may have been extremely dear to you and your development. PKs in their current form are extremely important to the flow of RP on this server and basically any successful server that came before gtaw. Yes they can be exploited but that doesnt negate them being a staple of what keeps the clock ticking here.

I agree with Visceral and EffPee's views on PKs. You lose the chance to be part of what ever story line you were just killed from. That is a major loss and can often be the reason for frustrations surrounding a PK.

In a world where murder is so frequent and CKs cost real money, I prefer things how they are. 

If you wanna make things less awkward around a PK, you don't RP that (insert name) was killed. You RP that someone of their same stature was killed whether it be an employee from LSNN, a detective from LSPD or a jumped in gang-banger. I'm of the style of role player where I prefer sticking to my main character for years if I can help it while keeping some 1 life type alts on the side. If my main was killed from a gang beef or gunned down by cops, I know there's still hundreds of different story lines I could take the character on before I lose interest. There's always that chance that in a few months time, my character may be re-introduced to some of the parties revolved around my character's murder and I'm a mature enough role player to not let the history that's meant to be wiped affect future role play.

PKs have existed for over a decade on GTA RP servers and I don't think it's something that should be revised. 

• Applaud 2
  • 2 weeks later...

PKs are more than fine as they are. At the end of the day, it's always going to befall on the player, and on whether or not the person in question is good enough of a RPer to not only avoid exploiting it but also stay within the bounds of their character valuing their life (or the contrary, in some scenarios).

Visceral makes a really strong point, though. Being excluded from certain scenes is going to hinder your character's development greatly and that's bigger of a punishment than losing a gun or whatever else one's carrying.

PK's that are done bcs of lack of fear roleplay, lead to CK's. Get out of jail free type of PK's should be investigated and punishable with admin punishments. But if something like you described happened and related people to the victim comitted such a PK mid arrest, there's also some nonrp stuff there. 

It is a problem, but it works both ways.  If someone pk's another person and they aren't caught in the act or their are no witnesses their are generally no consequences. No one goes missing and the victim can't report as they have no memory of the event.  It is actually safer to kill someone than leave them alive.

I don't really have a solution, just an observation 

I totally understand the concern of the original poster. In this situation, I feel as though the friends of the individual took a (subjectively) bad decision to eliminate the guard in the back of a police car. They were directly involved with their friend who was killed at the Fantasia event, so they sort of took the decision (in a way) for the guard to (depending on the verdict) face legal punishment.

• Wuhtah locked this topic