PKs and how they give you respawn free of consequences

Kappaurel

5 minutes ago, Свето said:

I still stand by that all PKs should be CKs...

I've been deathmatched dozens of times on every one of my characters. You shouldn't stand to lose everything because someone else kills you for no reason. There is a middle ground between never CKing and having meaningless characters that you throw away and recreate every time some doofus DMs you / etc.

1 hour ago, nateX said:

people will hold onto characters for no particular reason in 60-70% of the cases because they're so afraid of losing progress which is most of the time easily obtained back on another character due to people knowing who you are OOCly. 

Or could it be that people have different play-styles? Some like to develop only one or two characters, other make quite a few alts or have a series of characters.

Neither is more valid than the other.

9 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

I beg to differ. A CK always was a loss of development, not just for CK'd player, but also for those around him. If I took every CK around me into consideration, my main character would be the most depressed person in the world, given every 2nd character she meets and befriends...ends up being CK'd one way or another. Besides for the CK'd player. Unless the CK is scripted, it is indeed a loss of development and time. And here's a reason why, knowing people OOC won't help you open closed doors again. If you gotten into a gang through rp and sometimes even through lenghty rp, you'd have to do that again.

I think you and me are both bringing up valid poinst, but I am perhaps referring to a different understanding of a loss. For me, if I CK my character - I don't care anymore about the character, their IC friends, their social media etc. I had a character that I recently CKed, he was 9 1/2 months old, and over the course of that time - 3 of his associates died, two of which were by his own hand. Obviously, the circumstances differ and impact the decision making a lot, but I don't consider losses when I CK my character. If I decide to CK a character, that means I no longer got anything to do on them within the few or many things that would make sense to do on that specific character. I don't really take into consideration what others might have to roleplay, 

I personally get easily tired roleplaying with the same set of people very quickly, and usually venture out to find new players, whom I've never interacted with prior to roleplay with. The only loss I might see with a CK, is usually the loss of contacts or connections, but those can quickly be re-gained within a week or so, unless you choose not to.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Greyfeather said:

Or could it be that people have different play-styles? Some like to develop only one or two characters, other make quite a few alts or have a series of characters.

Neither is more valid than the other.

It is not a concern about playstyles when players do a bit of everything and eventually spiral out of the ''realistic'' border where their character, at 19 years old has been a mechanic, manager, police officer, EMT, gang member, mafia member, real estate agent, business owner, Sinaloa cartel member et cetera. I strongly believe in a term such as ''overdeveloped characters'', which is a big issue.

Just now, nateX said:

It is not a concern about playstyles when players do a bit of everything and eventually spiral out of the ''realistic'' border where their character, at 19 years old has been a mechanic, manager, police officer, EMT, gang member, mafia member, real estate agent, business owner, Sinaloa cartel member et cetera. I strongly believe in a term such as ''overdeveloped characters'', which is a big issue.

But if you decide to use a single character and keep yourself within the legal area?

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, nateX said:

You're aware that players RP doing one thing for a long time, right? Not all players engage in multiple vocations as you've described.

I'm personally not a fan of players whose characters do all of the things that you've listed above - noting of course that you're engaging in a little hyperbole to make a point - but I imagine that you, as part of RPQM, would be aware that IR people have varied careers, right?

Here's a few of the many famous examples:

Georgio Armani: Studied medicine => Joined the army => worked selling mens clothes => founded a fashion empire.

Mick Jagger: Worked as a Porter in a psychiatric hospital => studied an undergraduate in business => wanted to switch study to become a journalist => abandoned his studies and the Rolling Stones were born.

Harrison Ford: Self taught carpenter for 15 years to support his wife and children => then was picked up by a producer to act.

Bob Ross: 20 years in the USAF => decided to leave and make a career out of painting.

So you see, lives change. And if we keep getting told that GTAW is a RP server that strives to emulate (within its limitations) RL, I'd imagine that someone holding a couple of jobs wouldn't be held against him or her.

Edited by Greyfeather
spelling!!
8 minutes ago, Greyfeather said:

You're aware that players RP doing one thing for a long time, right? Not all players engage in multiple vocations as you've described.

I'm personally not a fan of players whose characters do all of the things that you've listed above - noting of course that you're engaging in a little hyperbole to make a point - but I imagine that you, as part of RPQM, would be aware that IR people have varied careers, right?

Here's a few of the many famous examples:

Georgio Armani: Studied medicine => Joined the army => worked selling mens clothes => founded a fashion empire.

Mick Jagger: Worked as a Porter in a psychiatric hospital => studied an undergraduate in business => wanted to switch study to become a journalist => abandoned his studies and the Rolling Stones were born.

Harrison Ford: Self taught carpenter for 15 years to support his wife and children => then was picked up by a producer to act.

Bob Ross: 20 years in the USAF => decided to leave and make a career out of painting.

So you see, lives change. And if we keep getting told that GTAW is a RP server that strives to emulate (within its limitations) RL, I'd imagine that someone holding a couple of jobs wouldn't be held against him or her.

You're completely missing the point I'm trying to get across, but whatever. 

I'm well aware that people don't stick to one job for life, but no one jumps between 7 professions at the age of the average GTAW character, which is 22-25.

Regardless, I don't wish to derail this thread any further, so I'll just leave it at that.

Edited by nateX
  • Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, nateX said:

I think you and me are both bringing up valid poinst, but I am perhaps referring to a different understanding of a loss. For me, if I CK my character - I don't care anymore about the character, their IC friends, their social media etc. I had a character that I recently CKed, he was 9 1/2 months old, and over the course of that time - 3 of his associates died, two of which were by his own hand. Obviously, the circumstances differ and impact the decision making a lot, but I don't consider losses when I CK my character. If I decide to CK a character, that means I no longer got anything to do on them within the few or many things that would make sense to do on that specific character. I don't really take into consideration what others might have to roleplay, 

I personally get easily tired roleplaying with the same set of people very quickly, and usually venture out to find new players, whom I've never interacted with prior to roleplay with. The only loss I might see with a CK, is usually the loss of contacts or connections, but those can quickly be re-gained within a week or so, unless you choose not to.

I think we both can agree, that a CK is sensitive topic like that. Of course if player wishes to CK they are free to do so and the rest has to rp out the CK like my character did when two of her friends were CK'd. In the end it's roleplay 🙂

4 minutes ago, nateX said:

no one jumps between 7 professions at the age of the average GTAW character, which is 22-25.

I have an RL friend who studies, tends bar on the weekend, drives for Uber Eats a night or two during the week, and also does prac-placement at a teaching hospital for his degree. I have another friend in a similar situation, but with different casual jobs.

Once the lockdowns ease up, I'll probably go back to doing something similar, depending on whether my old workplaces start back up.

I'm not derailing the thread, it's just that you said earlier "There's a limit to everything" in respect to characters who stay legal, but do multiple jobs at a young age. Since you are RPQM, I'm trying to get an assessment on what you think are the limits.

If you don't want to reply, that's fine. But you are RPQM and you also are part of the team that makes decisions about whether people do or do not get property applications approved based (in part) on a subjective assessment of whether their character development is or isn't realistic, so I think your opinion on this topic might be really helpful. Thanks.

• Applaud 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic