How much better would RP be if nobody knew each other oocly?

Legate

To be fair, I like having OOC communication with the people I roleplay with. It's for that same reason the roleplay I enjoy the most is shared with people who are actually able to isolate themselves from their character.

Unfortunately, this isn't always a possibility for some.

I wish we could remove /b and /pm for a week except for admins who would grant /b permission and players would grant pm permission to someone who requests it. OOC is almost never productive in my daily roleplay. It's always someone complaining about something that doesn't need complained about.

It's kinda inevitable you're gonna make OOC friends over time. Some factions definitely love spending way too long chatting in Discord tho, instead of being in-game. That can't really be stopped, but I think sometimes it ends up just being a big distraction for some members. There's good things about having a faction Discord and bad things.

I've met a person tonight that wore a mask (covering their face) and hood, as well as had an OOC mask during their RP. They appeared fairly mysterious and that made them stand out, though I found it intriguing to say the least.

5 hours ago, Wirbelwind said:

Infinitely better.

The best roleplay I've had was roleplay in which myself and the other player had 0 OOC coordination or interaction, it just happened organically as we went in-game around the same time and roleplayed through it.

See, I can understand that, but at the same time I like to form friendships with people I roleplay with, especially if it comes to some continuous RP, a long story connecting our characters. This isn't to influence our character's IC relationship, it's just some way for me to feel comfy in a sense. I guess I'm guilty of that if that's bad.

I agree on what Wirbelwind says, the purest roleplay really is when there is little to no OOC interactions and just going along with your character. Though, personally I do not mind a minimum of coordination - if you have a couple people you like roleplay with and decide to go for family roleplay or any sorts - that can enhance the experience even more. A natural balance between just going along with things regardless of whatever is going on on an OOC level (except for admin situations for obvious reasons) and maybe a pinch of OOC coordination - the initial spark for new things to get the rock rolling - makes for a decent experience.

I believe that it would definitely be a lot better. People seem to roleplay as if they somehow knew each other or just randomly bump into each other by planning it OOCly.  Although, this does give some downsides because it is nice to have an OOC communication with the people you know ICly so I believe that there are some upsides and downsides to this.

Edited by tomatoz

As much as I enjoy roleplaying with friends, and have made a lot of friends through roleplay in the past, it has to be said that the most natural and satisfying encounters were the ones I had with complete randoms. I think it's simply because of unpredictability, of course with people you know there's often some metagaming on a subconscious level.

Romance/Relationship RP might be less of a creepy OOC horror story then.

OOC is great and healthy for both the RP and players if it's balanced with the RP. No OOC at all is great for RP with strangers, and OOC is great to coordinate bigger things and find like-minded people. There is a balance to find in OOC, and the main thing to look out for is not to become an overly-defensive clique with a significantly higher OOC motivation.

The best roleplay I've had since I've ever started was with people who I didn't know OOC and didn't even get to know them OOCly. That's why I try to keep OOC to a zero when roleplaying with new people. The experience just feels a lot more organic and authentic.

Edited by Rozi