DISARM SECURITY GUARDS

Do you think security guards /really/ need guns?  

385 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think unarming security guards is a dumb idea, as it's punishing an entire group of roleplayers just for the actions of a few bad apples. Although with that being said there needs to be a serious look into some of these security companies and how they operate. I've seen countless videos of security companies performing arrests, chasing armed suspects, and so on. 

The actual quality of roleplay coming from some of these factions is pretty bad and from an administrative standpoint, it should be monitored a bit more closely. 

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, joebidensmokesyesca said:

I think unarming security guards is a dumb idea, as it's punishing an entire group of roleplayers just for the actions of a few bad apples. Although with that being said there needs to be a serious look into some of these security companies and how they operate. I've seen countless videos of security companies performing arrests, chasing armed suspects, and so on. 

The actual quality of roleplay coming from some of these factions is pretty bad and from an administrative standpoint, it should be monitored a bit more closely. 

All IC issues but I do agree there should be IFM permission for being a corrupt guard seeing as you cannot be a corrupt police officer without corruption perms and security factions aren't regulated as much (if they're using their tasers, issued firearms for crimes, etc.)

Edited by Narco
5 minutes ago, Narco said:

All IC issues but I do agree there should be IFM permission for being a corrupt guard seeing as you cannot be a corrupt police officer without corruption perms and security factions aren't regulated as much (if they're using their tasers, issued firearms for crimes, etc.)

Unless it's changed recently Firearms aren't issued, they're bought by the individual guard with their PF license. It would be better off reporting people individually for poor portrayal if they're doing dumb and dodgy shit rather than needing to request permission to do absolutely anything remotely illegal on a civilian character.

33 minutes ago, joebidensmokesyesca said:

security guards can apply citizens arrest, chasing on public areas while it may be illegal, is realistic. Lots of security guards in real life, especially patrol ones, go out of their scope of work and try to bust a robber on their own discretion. Security guards can also roleplay illegal sides, it's not LEO factions where you are limited.

We've solved a lot of "trouble" by lying ICly to police as an example, to make them frisk someone and arrest them for possession (if they found anything).

Lots of profiling happens here and so does in real life.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, from a completely (maybe even too much) perspective, I would go for harsher IC regulations, re-designing the way GC work. What I would try would be that in order for a security officer to be armed, they must have an specific clearance (maybe even with IC formation events) and being able to justify why firearms were authorized/used on a certain security event, keeping a record from that. 

If they have an incident in which firearms are used, they should be able to justify exactly why the firearms were used and to submit it into a both IC/OOC revision, being the IC the most important, not being able to perform security duties armed until they are cleared.  The out of character would be to keep a record and intervene if it is not realistic, but always as a last resort.

Edited by test83318
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, test83318 said:

Honestly, from a completely (maybe even too much) perspective, I would go for harsher IC regulations, re-designing the way GC work. What I would try would be that in order for a security officer to be armed, they must have an specific clearance (maybe even with IC formation events) and being able to justify why firearms were authoriced/used on a certain security event, keeping a record from that. 

If they have an incident in which firearms are used, they should be able to justify exactly why the firearms were used and to submit it into a both IC/OOC revision, being the IC the most important, not being able to perform security duties armed until they are cleared.  

That's never going to happen because

A) it is tedious work and turns your game in a real life job, nobody is going to do 

B) law enforcement doesn't have such rules either

In fact, in G6 we log every shooting and usage of force, unlike law factions.

• Upvote 2
18 hours ago, Bandit. said:

There is no reason to have armed security guards on this server, it's a by pass for characters to have PF/CCW guns on here and to act like first responders. People that get into security in real life are not hard charging heroes. From what I have encountered it has been nothing but a pain. Either fully disarm these people or only allow so many from a security company to have a firearm at one time.

EDIT: I understand security companies in real life have armed guards. This isn't a debate about that, it's about security companies acting as make-shift police officers and over stepping lines.

No problem that you are giving your opinion, but if you make an opinion / discussion like this, why isn’t there any(!) example scenarios, video evidence, etc. etc.? Now you are just one of those who’s shouting in the air to “disarm security guards” because they “act like first responders”.

I’m in GTAW for more then 2 years now, 2000+ hours in a security company, I personally never had ány big trouble and I discharged my firearm (on-duty) just once in 2+ years. 

I just don’t get your point disarming all the security guards in GTA W because you maybe saw óne security guard chasing a guy on foot or driving a bit faster somewhere at a time. Which happens IRL too. 

We as security patrol officers in GTAW have to obey all (traffic) laws at all times, and yeah, ofcourse we sometimes drive faster when we are en-route to a burglary alarm, or when we foot-chase someone on client’s property to citizen-arrest someone… acting in scope of employment. But that doesn’t directly make us “acting like a cop or first responder”.  

Not even talking about all those mallcop-shouting people in GTAW who are clearly baiting security officers all the time, 24/7.

The Guard Card (GC) is the sort of exam to learn everything about the security branch, go make and pass that first, go RP as a security officer for a month and give your opinion again, I bet your opinion about it will be different😉.

Edited by Glenn1993

Even if we would approach the main problem as an OOC issue (which I believe it's more of an IC problem), currently there are firearms everywhere. People are attempting to murder deputies/officers over a traffic stop and a speeding ticket, and this remains like that even with LFM/IFM aware of this. Removing firearms from the guards today would seriously impair their ability to defend themselves, thus making them fairly useless. Nevertheless, the stated issue is a fact. There were situations when armed security guards acted a bit inappropriately, but I do not believe that harming the entire security guards section is a good solution.

Do guards need their weapons? Yes, especially if they're being targeted for communicating with LEO and removing unwanted people from a club (basically doing their job) like in this report. (https://streamable.com/718zzz)

• Upvote 1