DISARM SECURITY GUARDS

Do you think security guards /really/ need guns?  

385 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There were a few situations where the LSPD detained and questioned G6 members after a shooting. In some cases, LSPD officers instructed/ordered G6s to comply with SHAFT rules by securing their personal firearms when walking in a public street, away from a club, bar, etc. 

Applying for CCW solely to work as security is not a justified reason and the LSPD FLD has denied many applicants for that reason alone. It's either PF+GC or nothing at all. GC has an examination in place.

Armed security exists and they exist in most countries, including Europe. It all depends on how much you pay and what services you need. Armed security is not an uncommon concept. Much like regular citizens, armed security can perform citizen arrest if they witness a (serious) crime and hand them off to the police. Again, none of these concepts are strange or uncommon, they happen a lot IRL.

No, disarming security is not an answer. Of course, you can report for poor roleplay/portrayal if it's a must. Anything else is completely an IC issue. Deal with the security ICly unless rules are broken. Other than that, security (ie. G6) do what they are hired for and that's providing security services to clubs, bars, private properties, etc. Obviously, armed security is better than unarmed security for a number of reasons. 

• Upvote 2

Let's first focus on roleplays where guards are murdered/shot for the following reasons:

- getting removed from a night club for being a trouble maker/asked for entry fee/underage/armed/refusing to show ID, walk through metal detector etc

- being called on 911 because of hostile behaviors, impersonating guards and collecting fees illegally and refusing to leave the venue

- just to "send a message to the whole company because they failed to rob another guard the night before" (yes, can even provide proofs from a player report where the /messaging/ party was already ajailed)

- putting a hit on a guard just because their "faction member" was arrested due to the guard calling 911.

And then we can talk about disarming security guards. My second year in security roleplay. What I listed above are all supported by evidences. Seen it all, seen worse. Disarming guards will lead to a complete removal of security guard RP from this community when 90 percent of the population is already armed somehow, and then "can't find /legal/ guards for my venue" threads will start popping up. 

Moreover, the vigilante behaviors by guards are already taken IC and punished by the LEO. There's quite a perfect example to it happened just recently which led to an arrest of a security guard, losing his employment and all his firearm licenses. Just because you don't see it happening, doesn't mean it doesn't happen at all. 

Edited by Spring
  • Upvote 4
19 hours ago, zaXer. said:

security guards can apply citizens arrest, chasing on public areas while it may be illegal, is realistic. Lots of security guards in real life, especially patrol ones, go out of their scope of work and try to bust a robber on their own discretion. Security guards can also roleplay illegal sides, it's not LEO factions where you are limited.

We've solved a lot of "trouble" by lying ICly to police as an example, to make them frisk someone and arrest them for possession (if they found anything).

Lots of profiling happens here and so does in real life.

A lot of them won't chase you cause it's not worth risking your life for the salary you're getting. I was like that 😂. Security firms are hired for prevention most of time and not intervention.

Ah yes let's disarm security guards in a city that has the worst crime rate in America (if not the world).

The unintended consequences of this will be venues and businesses will no longer hire security companies and will just arm up their bartenders and hire people from Davis to guard their businesses illegally. 

Who would I want to to guard my kebab shop, an unarmed G6 officer, or 10 Arab guys with machettes and a local friendly Vespucci nazi with an AR15..?????!??!?!?

7 hours ago, Glenn1993 said:

The Guard Card (GC) is the sort of exam to learn everything about the security branch, go make and pass that first, go RP as a security officer for a month and give your opinion again, I bet your opinion about it will be different😉.

I literally got a guard card because I said I was doing free lance security. 

I was talking to my bud that's an armed security guard at a night club and he pretty much told myself it depends on the kind of clientele the club attracts, along with whether the club owner wants them to be armed or not. Most clubs that have armed security do so because of the fact individuals sneak guns in and the club owners asked them to be armed. I believe that due to the fact that the crime rate in the city is ridiculously high, it's more than justifiable to have armed security guards. 

A fix to this? the security company not allowing personal firearms on the job > LFM giving x amount of legal firearms with serial numbers to security companies which all are owned by the company, the firearms can be signed out of a locker (potentially screenshotted in the security companies discord and posted in a "firearm log" section which I know a lot of security companies have channels similar to this for their patrol logs etc), this way the player has less incentive to abuse the firearm. 

It sounds like a lot of work but in reality it isn't, all the player has to do is walk up to the locker, /me takes the pen and signs a firearm out on the log book > takes the firearm out of a locker or whatever it may be > screenshots the roleplay > posts it on the discord > goes on their patrol or duties > comes back and returns it > screenshots and posts the return of firearm. 

8 minutes ago, Narco said:

I was talking to my bud that's an armed security guard at a night club and he pretty much told myself it depends on the kind of clientele the club attracts, along with whether the club owner wants them to be armed or not. Most clubs that have armed security do so because of the fact individuals sneak guns in and the club owners asked them to be armed. I believe that due to the fact that the crime rate in the city is ridiculously high, it's more than justifiable to have armed security guards. 

A fix to this? the security company not allowing personal firearms on the job > LFM giving x amount of legal firearms with serial numbers to security companies which all are owned by the company, the firearms can be signed out of a locker (potentially screenshotted in the security companies discord and posted in a "firearm log" section which I know a lot of security companies have channels similar to this for their patrol logs etc), this way the player has less incentive to abuse the firearm. 

It sounds like a lot of work but in reality it isn't, all the player has to do is walk up to the locker, /me takes the pen and signs a firearm out on the log book > takes the firearm out of a locker or whatever it may be > screenshots the roleplay > posts it on the discord > goes on their patrol or duties > comes back and returns it > screenshots and posts the return of firearm. 

I get what you're driving at with this idea but I'd argue it would have the opposite effect, especially on newer players. Removing the financial burden from the individual guard to provide themselves a weapon and ammo would probably give the individual player less reason to care about potentially losing the firearm and so raise the chance of misuse/abuse.

I think a system were security companies, by law are required to log employee firearm serials and keep track of when these firearms are lost or stolen. This way, acting criminally with your firearm is more likely going to have consequences should LEA's investigate a scene, there are avenues to trace back to you. You also have the means then OOCly, to see how often an employee is potentially being robbed or killed during their patrols and look into what the reason for that is and why it happens so often, weeding out those who throw themselves into dumb situations on a regular basis.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Late said:

Ah yes let's disarm security guards in a city that has the worst crime rate in America (if not the world).

The unintended consequences of this will be venues and businesses will no longer hire security companies and will just arm up their bartenders and hire people from Davis to guard their businesses illegally. 

Who would I want to to guard my kebab shop, an unarmed G6 officer, or 10 Arab guys with machettes and a local friendly Vespucci nazi with an AR15..?????!??!?!?

Staff provided some actual numbers a while back, and it was actually surprising. Our city experiences more violent crime than the top five most dangerous countries in the world combined.

• Upvote 1