DISARM SECURITY GUARDS

Do you think security guards /really/ need guns?  

385 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

The issue are the players involved in low quality roleplay, not neccessarily the tools they have. I believe IC and OOC consequences should be dished out more frequently for those so-called vigilantes, rather than limiting the handful of good roleplayers. It totally isn't uncommon for security guards to carry firearms in the US, even in California. However, depending on the state there's usually a duty to retreat when operating in a security capacity. Exactly that prevents security guards/loss prevention people from going full rambo mode. 

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Although I understand that some security firm employees may portray unrealistic characters (and I speak from experience), restricting the activity in its entirety or "disarming" their organizations is a little too much. You can just report someone's poor portrayal or failure to roleplay fear in game. In my opinion, educating players is always more productive than restricting certain activities.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, CowboyYoda22 said:

If anything I want to see more hood and low income security services lol.  Like that dude Darian Long in Atlanta, characters that are self aware enough to know OOC that they are breaking the law IC. But, they do it because that's what their character would do. 

happens a lot more than you think

like, daily

This is more of an IC problem in my opinion. Security companies should be held more accountable, they're the ones who choose the arm their guards.

I do agree though that a lot of security guards do tend to overstep their duties and into the realm of vigilantism. I've seen guards literally chase down someone for miles away from what they're supposed to be guarding and literally act like wannabe police officers at times. But, again... This is an IC issue. Security companies should be held more accountable. Guards who do that stuff should be fired from their company and have their GC revoked. But that doesn't really happen from it seems. There are guards I know on the server who have been in countless shootings and killed dozens of people, and they still work for their company, some don't even RP the PTSD and trauma from killing so many people. And I'm not saying that a guard should be fired the moment they kill someone. But it should be taken more seriously in my opinion. In real life, when a guard kills someone or even just shoot someone, even in self defense, it is taken very seriously. The guard can be fired, suspended, arrested, an investigation likely happens, people can get sued, etc. It's a big deal. But not on GTAW. On the server, guards kill someone, grab a beer an hour later, then wake up and do the same thing the next day. There is zero accountability there from the security companies or the guards themselves.

Overall, I don't agree with removing guns from guards. That is just a bad idea. When the crime rate on the server is this high and people get killed outside of clubs literally daily, guards need guns, simple as that. But I do agree that guards need to stop overstepping boundaries. Guards are guards, not cops. their only responsibility is to protect their  employer and their business. Not to do what cops do and gun people down or chase suspects across the city.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, IHaveTheHighGround said:

If a security firm does not properly train its armed guards before throwing them out in the wild then this is partially at the fault of the security company itself. The security firm should face some form of consequence in this case and the armed guard should lose their ability to work as armed guards or even be CK'd as people above mentioned. I think the solution is not imposing anything OOC but making the process of being an armed security guard harder. Similar to how if you do something illegal as a lawyer then the board can strip your rights to practice law. 

the guard card process is what is supposed to train you into being a guard with a firearm, which is a process by the LSPD.

8 minutes ago, ScarletRose said:

This is more of an IC problem in my opinion. Security companies should be held more accountable, they're the ones who choose the arm their guards.

I do agree though that a lot of security guards do tend to overstep their duties and into the realm of vigilantism. I've seen guards literally chase down someone for miles away from what they're supposed to be guarding and literally act like wannabe police officers at times. But, again... This is an IC issue. Security companies should be held more accountable. Guards who do that stuff should be fired from their company and have their GC revoked. But that doesn't really happen from it seems. There are guards I know on the server who have been in countless shootings and killed dozens of people, and they still work for their company, some don't even RP the PTSD and trauma from killing so many people. And I'm not saying that a guard should be fired the moment they kill someone. But it should be taken more seriously in my opinion. In real life, when a guard kills someone or even just shoot someone, even in self defense, it is taken very seriously. The guard can be fired, suspended, arrested, an investigation likely happens, people can get sued, etc. It's a big deal. But not on GTAW. On the server, guards kill someone, grab a beer an hour later, then wake up and do the same thing the next day. There is zero accountability there from the security companies or the guards themselves.

Overall, I don't agree with removing guns from guards. That is just a bad idea. When the crime rate on the server is this high and people get killed outside of clubs literally daily, guards need guns, simple as that. But I do agree that guards need to stop overstepping boundaries. Guards are guards, not cops. their only responsibility is to protect their  employer and their business. Not to do what cops do and gun people down or chase suspects across the city.

What about the LSPD characters that have murdered 20x more people, why don't they roleplay PTSD? Maybe because it's a game and you cannot practice it 1:1.

People need to stop picking on guards to beat and rob them, then they can complain about a guard who shot them for assault.

If you engage in a fist fight with an armed guard you should expect to get shot, that's common sense. You're attacking someone who is carrying a firearm, he doesn't know what your intentions are, maybe you want to steal his gun and murder him or someone else. You get shot, it's simple. Obviously not in a petty fight like sending eachother a few punches, but if you gang up 10 people against 2 guards, you get shot, yes.

For my time here I've never seen a brawl with a guard, where the guard fell unconscious and he wasn't finished off or his gun wasn't stolen.

Not to mention the amount of times that people kill you because you kicked them out of the club.

Edited by zaXer.

Encounter: Once I was involved in an active war with the Rolling 90s Crips on my W/S HPB character. I was shot weeks before by a reputable from their section, so after healing up. One day, I was just riding around chilling in vine wood. I parked up in Hawick, and seen one of the members chilling and goin on about his day. I peeped him, he didn’t peep me. He was looking at my car, admiring it according to his /ame and that’s when I began to start shooting at him. Downed him, and as soon as I was about to hop in my vehicle from the blind eye two security guards thought it was proper RP to rush outside of the building they were in, point guns at me and as soon as I tried to get in my car mag dump me. They full killed me also, for what reason? “Because, we told you to put your hands up and stop and you didn’t.” Come on now, let’s be for real.