Roleplaying Car Crashes

TommyX

The problem isn't desync, the problem isn't that car crash roleplay isn't interesting, the problem is how players drive.

Players are encouraged because of a number of reasons;

1. Vehicles on average have high performance compared to what is realistic
  2. High performance vehicles being very easily obtainable
  3. Almost no traffic
  4. Damage to cars has almost no consequences
  5. Damage to characters has almost no consequences
  6. Almost no chance of being punished for unrealistic driving
  7. Self voiding car crashes is commonly accepted, even if its against the rules

There are several ways to combat all of these issues, but almost no one is really interested in making driving more realistic, because it is inconvenient and less fun. Some solutions for the above problems;

1. Reduce the acceleration of every vehicle across the board (won't happen because people don't want this)
  2. Introduce downsides to upgrading vehicles' performance (won't happen because people don't want consequences for improved performance)
  3. This can't really be solved unless the server quadruples in player count
  4. Maintain car damage when spawning and despawning vehicles (people will complain about desync, lag, bugs, anything to avoid actual consequences to bad driving)
  5. Maintain damage to character's health, and disallow easy healing. (people will complain about desync, lag, bugs, anything to avoid actual consequences to their character's health)
  6. There is no real solution for this at this time
  7. Unless other factors change, this will stay the same.

I presented some solutions before, for example;

However, you can see the responses. People hate consequences to their own actions. Either you force them onto players, or they will continue to drive recklessly. With punishments for this being so extremely light, it is only logical.

Another, harsher solution, is to set some examples. A racer is observed to self void a crash? Ajail them and take their car away, through an OOC punishment notification as the ones you see currently with bans and ajails. That may give players some additional consideration. I don't see this happening either though. The convenience of players, getting from A to B quickly, but also the fun of racing, it is considered to be more important than the standards of realistic driving. As long as this remains the default stance, then nothing will change.

6 hours ago, Goonbag said:

Fix autopilot so it doesn’t make me run into shit constantly and then I will. 

autopilot is fairly new to me as i started playing again two weeks ago, i used it once a day and my vehicle ran straight into a wall and cut across lanes hazardously a couple of times

aside from this issue, what's the general opinion on the server's autopilot? i like using it because i'm never in a rush to go anywhere, it forces me to drive normally and lets me focus on ic conversation instead, on top of that it's a joy to watch and good for taking screenshots

if its problems were fixed, then autopilot should be encouraged more to avoid all the issues that come from human error/carelessness in this server

16 minutes ago, shaobadman said:

i used it once a day and my vehicle ran straight into a wall and cut across lanes hazardously a couple of times

I've stopped using it because about half the time, it ends up accelerating like crazy and throwing me into some kind of hazard yeah 😞 

Thank god I didn't have to RP those, because I'm not sure how I would ever have been able to justify those "moves" IC'ly lol 

Shame though, since as you mentioned, it's pretty nice to have an IC conversation without needing to brake every other minute ^^ 

4 hours ago, shaobadman said:

aside from this issue, what's the general opinion on the server's autopilot? i like using it because i'm never in a rush to go anywhere, it forces me to drive normally and lets me focus on ic conversation instead, on top of that it's a joy to watch and good for taking screenshots

Chances are if I'm driving my car over my char's motorcycle is because I have company. I usually drive fairly responsibly to begin with so I appreciate it for the sake of having some talks in the car while cruising. Sadly though, lately it just seems to have been giving me a lot more problems, and it definitely goes crazy especially when entering  the Freeway/Highway, often just swerving into walls.

20 hours ago, Trupiano said:

The server becoming more and more accustom to voiding car crashes has directly lead to more people driving like maniacs at 120mph because they can get away with it. Additionally I see people saying "Oh well Rage has horrible dsync, it's not my fault" but it really is. 9/10 the person crying dsync after the crash were the ones driving at a speed that their PC just couldn't keep up with. They didn't crash because the server was laggy, they crashed because they were being reckless and they should face the consequence for that.

Desync while driving can happen very often, though. Ask LEOs how you need to do PITs nowadays, because of how bad the sync is. ( you need to aim half a car ahead of where you want to hit ) If on your screen you clipped someone's back during a crash the odds that on theirs you didn't hit them are really high.

Edited by pateuvasiliu
10 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

Desync while driving can happen very often, though. Ask LEOs how you need to do PITs nowadays, because of how bad the sync is. ( you need to aim half a car ahead of where you want to hit ) If on your screen you clipped someone's back during a crash the odds that on theirs you didn't hit them are really high.

For as long as GTA Roleplay has existed, PIT is synonymous with the 1960 Daytona crash. 

If you drive 120 mph down the road and hit somebody, or you're one of those people who run reds and get hit by oncoming traffic, you should roleplay that every time because that's you being an idiot. It hinders your roleplay to do it? Well, maybe if you drove better it wouldn't be such an issue would it?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, pateuvasiliu said:

Ok but that's during a police chase that likely has multiple cop cars (With lights on) chasing someone through an area. Your anecdote doesn't apply to the greater problem as a whole. That being people driving at speeds that their PC can't keep up with leading to them crashing into people and things which haven't loaded in for them.

My point is, I don't see how people can call Desync whenever they crash when they are the ones causing the lag on themselves. It's one thing if the server is legitimately lagging and people are rubber banding. But that's rarely the case, normally it's a dude driving 100mph through Vespucci/Downtown/Vinewood, all high pop areas and then being surprised when they run head on into a line of police cars blocking the street. 

The frustrating part is it's easily avoidable. Driving the speed limit and pulling over for a few moments when you start noticing floating names or vehicles loading in just as you pass is super easy, super quick and 9/10 allows your computer enough time to catch up and stops you from crashing into shit like this. But people don't do that because why would they when they can just go "/b oops, Desync!" and continue on driving like this is GTAO.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, pateuvasiliu said:

LEOs drive modded cars that are an absolute strain on the server though, to the point that Mission Row gets routinely despawned to accommodate them. They're also driving at high speeds in a chase due to IC reasons.

For the average civilian RPer, desync issues aren't a make or break because if they crash into any obstacle on the road 99% of the time someone involved was going at unreasonably high speeds. The finer aspects applying to a PIT don't apply when you rear end or T-bone someone as a non-LEO.

• Wuhtah locked this topic