Roleplaying Car Crashes

TommyX

3 minutes ago, Vassilios said:

What's the solution then? Go 120mph through the city and if you crash oh well just void?

the issue with this is there is zero consequence for driving fast.

I have rarely ever seen a vehicular manslaughter charge from MVA involved death,

a crippling injury will land you in a hospital for ten minutes max, health insurance is free. People literally come in with a snapped off arm, bleed in the brain and a collapsed airway, and leave in eight minutes totally fine.

you can get your car back with /vget with no damages attached to it.

so there are zero consequences to getting into a car crash.

14 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

As someone who really does enjoy EMS and Medical roleplay

i fucking hate car crashes

[...]

If you do roleplay a car crash, at least make it somewhat interactable, or better yet dont even do it.

I think this basically sums up a big part of the problem. Car crashes can happen for many reasons.

Now, sure there is desync, or streaming problems - just a few days ago, a new blockade near the port appeared 10 feet in front of me out of nowhere. Just today, a christmas tree appeared right in my face and screwed the entire front of my car lol And I was speed blocked at 35.

Even when driving at 25 mph, you just can't brake in time when that shit happens. That said, desync/streaming aren't necessarily the main "culprits".

Driving from 3rd person, with a controller or a keyboard, is not very natural. It makes it a bit harder to finely control your vehicle, without even counting the fact that you have no physical feedback. Trust me, the way your body feels when you accelerate too much/little, or when you turn too steeply, it's EXTREMELY important. 

This means you're a lot more likely to have minor crashes frequently, even if you drive at a steady 35 mph in city center and stop at every red light (and take 15 minutes to go from Alta to Mirror Park, in the process). If you press a LITTLE too much on D at some point, to correct your trajectory? You'll crash into a red light. 

Problem there is twofold. One: it's rather common. Two: it's rather boring. Because yes... Car crash RP has a /VERY LOW/ chance of yielding any interesting RP. Not even remotely interesting.

If you're on your own, what are you gonna do? Fill up insurance papers that don't exist? Amazing, you can do a very long /me of you filling non-existing papers all on your own, while interacting with nobody. I don't know about you, but to me at least, the point of RP is to have a multiplayer experience 😛 If I wanted to RP on my own, I'd write a novel instead. 

Now if there's someone else involved? Sure, RP filling the insurance paperwork. Gee. That's an entrancing interaction there... One of the scenes that will give a new turn to your character development :x I mean, I'm sorry to sound like a dick here, but again: the odds of any good RP spawning from those interactions are REALLY low.

And the problem is, the time spent into a boring scene will be time you can't use to engage in actually interesting RP that will actually lead to good character development. So... most people skip. They weigh the pros and cons, like everyone. The pros of RP'ing the crash are very, very few. The cons are many. 

Personally if someone wants to skip, I'm happy to. If someone wants to RP it, then sure - I did it a few times. And every time I felt like I just threw 40 minutes of my life to the trash because of how horribly dull the scene was x_x 

And given how easy it can be to have a minor crash (because as mentioned earlier, we're not driving RL cars), it would mean a hell of a lot of time thrown to the trash :x 

• Upvote 1

Doubt that most people know how to properly roleplay a car crash in this server. Every time I ended up rping one in this server, they turned into some of the poorest scenes I ever took part of in my life.

Small reference to what happened the last time I was forced to rp a car crash.

With that said, no thank you. I’ll gladly continue with my planned roleplay than take part in some piss poor car crash scene. Then again, if I end up crashing during a chase, I’ll gladly rp it.

39 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

As someone who really does enjoy EMS and Medical roleplay

i fucking hate car crashes

they’re overtly complicated endeavors with nothing unique about them, everyone defaults to /me is unconscious, forehead bleeds like airbags are this Atlantean invention discovered by Da Vinci and lost to time.

There is never a unique car crash, I rarely ever saw people hanging off cliffs, or screaming for help, or ANYTHING unique happen in a car crash. Almost no one did anything fun with them, which meant it was annoying for me to deal with, it was annoying for them to roleplay it, and we all had terrible times. They also sucked up every EMS asset in the server half the time, so other calls which were unique or interesting constantly got swallowed up by generic motor vehicle accident no. 68.

Ricers were even worse about it.

If you do roleplay a car crash, at least make it somewhat interactable, or better yet dont even do it.

Couldn't agree more.

I've been roleplaying a LEO for approximately 6 years now, and car crashes are scenes I hate being a part of. When I was in the LSFD they were cool for the first week but quickly became mundane. A lot of LEO/EMS roleplayers will agree with this as it's so repetitive.

If all players involved in the crash want to void then I see no issue as it isn't hurting anyone else plus as it's been said as someone who has done EMS RP car crash scenes are extremely boring and repetitive, couldn't care less if they went away.

Very repetitive & extremely boring. I enjoyed roleplaying around a total of maybe five car crash scenarios so far. Usually it's someone hammering their rice burner through downtown LS and careening into an oncoming car or whatever else might be in their way, doing the same old few emotes, and then going right back to driving like they're playing GTAO after they've been dropped off at the hospital. To add onto that, car accident scenes usually contribute nothing to people's character development & in 9/10 scenarios, no interesting roleplay happens - it's 45 minutes of sheer boredom to whoever's the victim and both medical & cop roleplayers.

Not to mention the fact that RAGE.MP has superb sync and cars/peds load in instantly on everyone's screen!

Edited by Brian

While I don't exactly like car crashes, when looking at MVA's that I respond to as FD, or witness the behavior of people at scenes in a whole: most of them can be avoided. I think that should be hammered down on: people who are speeding right through intersections, driving way too fast on certain roads etc. It's nearly impossible to report these people because the nametag doesn't show up unless you're literally next to them.

• Wuhtah locked this topic