Are long /me's signs of a good roleplayer?

mojojojo

Tbh, if a person can provide decent replies to keep a conversation flowing, I think that's more showing of ability to roleplay than /me's. /me's can be hard sometimes, as after a few hundred of them, you feel like you're 'repeating' when you do similar words, so you continue to try and write them for the other person, which, adds more time. Good conversations keep me engaged, 3 lines of taking a swig from a beer doesn't. 

I just like to make sure it varies depending on the situation at hand.

/me laughs - is fine. It's short, sweet and to the point.

/me laughs, slapping his knee with his hand - gives more personality.

/me laughs, slapping his knee with his right hand, the sound of the slap permeating throughout the room. - Again, just more detail. Necessary? Not really but it mixes it up.

It highly depends on the situation. If I'm being robbed for example, it's meant to be rapid. I'm not going to hold everyone up by doing a long /me. The point is get it done as quick as possible, a simple /me hands over his wallet with a shaking hand - is more than enough.

If I'm rping with just one other person or say a couple of us, and the flow of RP is slower, I will put a little more detail into it.

I think adapting between all of these is what makes a strong, consistant roleplayer.

• Upvote 2

I'd argue short and concise /me's are better than long winded one's which say the exact same thing. Short me's with no information, they suck. Long me's with too much information suck to keep reading all day. But short me's with the information of long one's yet condensed, now that's ideal.

• Upvote 1

Long /mes and short /mes are in both aspects good roleplay, however usage of excessive description such as /me uses his right hand to withdraw his pack of cigarettes, and then with his left hand, he slides one out and squeezes it in between his lips, he fishes out a lighter and lights one up afterwards. This is pointless and simply not needed however everyone’s roleplay varies but I know one thing for sure and that’s shorter /mes such as /me punches the man is just subpar.

It depends, crowded scenes with a lot of people? I prefer to keep it short and sweet unless the actions I'm taking require a significant amount of details, is it a small scene between 2-4 people? go wild, the more details you put in the better for everyone, just don't use a ridiculous amount of words just to say describe nothing of value.

• Wuhtah locked this topic