Are long /me's signs of a good roleplayer?

mojojojo

The way I see it:

/me chuckles. 15 times a day is not good roleplay.

/me chuckles. every so often is not bad roleplay. (/ame doesn't hurt for one-word emotes imo)

Emoting for the sake of emote is not good roleplay.

Avoiding unnecessary emotes in certain, often cluttered scenarios is not bad roleplay.

On 7/10/2021 at 5:20 AM, Aquila said:

FD roleplay is very dynamic, and it takes a lot to:

1. know what you're doing

2. try to explain what you're doing in layman's terms

FD members aren't at fault here with the matter at hand. I haven't had much roleplay with FD members except one fairly recently, and the /me's were relatively short, in that they weren't lines and lines of needless words and sentences, but they weren't short nor spammy either. They were straight to the point while ensuring that it's descriptive enough for the patient (myself in this case) understood what was going on. So I applaud people who do that.

Meanwhile, there is someone somewhere on the server typing out 5 lines to open a door and check their phone.

I kinda agree with this, yet might want to elaborate why is there a BUT. Cause there is. Whether is it medical or tattooing for example, it requires little more than short descriptive /mes, simply because in terms of roleplay they are paid for what they do, which is why it actually requires a bit of research so they know what they are doing. For instance, it is highly unrealistic to leave a tattoo parlor with a brand new sleeve without spending least 45-60 minutes there by roleplaying getting it. But same as with medical roleplay, the customer or patient is on the receiving end, yes they are expected to respond at times, but it is the artists and doctors providing most of the roleplay there, so long descriptive /mes are a must.

5 hours ago, Engelbert said:

I kinda agree with this, yet might want to elaborate why is there a BUT. Cause there is. Whether is it medical or tattooing for example, it requires little more than short descriptive /mes, simply because in terms of roleplay they are paid for what they do, which is why it actually requires a bit of research so they know what they are doing. For instance, it is highly unrealistic to leave a tattoo parlor with a brand new sleeve without spending least 45-60 minutes there by roleplaying getting it. But same as with medical roleplay, the customer or patient is on the receiving end, yes they are expected to respond at times, but it is the artists and doctors providing most of the roleplay there, so long descriptive /mes are a must.

Since we're all getting shafted with medical bills now, I'm expecting 15 minutes of roleplay for every 5k I spend in medical costs.

From my experience, the longer and more detailed the /me, the better. However, with more experience, one may choose to tend to focus only on an action-oriented /me. Beware of giving off telepathic information in a long /me. The best roleplayer is a lawyer, who decides whether they are being vague and over ambiguous, versus being a sweetheart with the other player, providing telepathic information.

The best roleplayer should see every interaction as building the presumption for a dispute, which may need to be handled with a game admin. There is a lot of gray area, the more developed your perception of roleplay becomes. Personally, I am not afraid to CK a character in any interaction. Those are the cards I bring to the table. Apprehension to CK is the root of many disputes, in my view.

But the topic was /me. Are you *slightly* doing something over and over? People in the real world actually go around *slightly* doing things over and over, I have found. So I really don't see it as bad RP.

Edited by Ethan_Lovelass
On 7/24/2021 at 12:54 PM, Amellis said:

The way I see it:

/me chuckles. 15 times a day is not good roleplay.

/me chuckles. every so often is not bad roleplay. (/ame doesn't hurt for one-word emotes imo)

Emoting for the sake of emote is not good roleplay.

Avoiding unnecessary emotes in certain, often cluttered scenarios is not bad roleplay.

Adding *chuckle* in your speech text is an admirable thing to do. It's extremely hard to read people's messages in crowded areas, because there's always a large handful of players writing out unnecessary actions in the chat.

I don't know where I remember this from and I could be wrong, but aren't long /me's where you do like ten actions in one considered to be PG? /me pulls out a wallet, pays the person, turns around does a 360, pulls out a gun shoots at the clerk, hops in the car and turns the engine on. I see it at the bar where people do like ten things in one /me and I really don't like it tbh but I got no problem with longer or shorter /me's I keep it simple when needed.

3 minutes ago, Kowboy said:

I don't know where I remember this from and I could be wrong, but aren't long /me's where you do like ten actions in one considered to be PG? /me pulls out a wallet, pays the person, turns around does a 360, pulls out a gun shoots at the clerk, hops in the car and turns the engine on. I see it at the bar where people do like ten things in one /me and I really don't like it tbh but I got no problem with longer or shorter /me's I keep it simple when needed.

I always assumed it's PG if it affects someone. So taking out your wallet, your bills and paying is cool. Turning to a guy, taking out your gun and shooting is not.

• Wuhtah locked this topic