Are long /me's signs of a good roleplayer?

mojojojo

As mentioned above in the title, I'm confused myself and just wanted to clear some things regarding long /me's and short /me's. I mean some people have told me that longer /me's are considered as a good roleplay and short /me's are considered as a bad roleplay.

So I just wanted to make it clear that are longer detailed /me's are a sign of good roleplay, or clear, concise and shorter /me's sufficient?

Example: 
/me slots his firearm. or /me chuckles. (considered subpar/bad rp)

Or unnecessarily longer /me's with just filler details only to add spice or flex your English language skills. In my opinion, /me's should be just detailed enough that your character's actions are clearly portrayed without much room for misinterpretation.

Would love to hear others opinion about it.

Ps: I keep my /me's short and relevant.

Edited by mojojojo
  • Upvote 3

It's all relative to the situation, really. Long /mes are amazing when they are extremely relevant to the scene. However, at times, it's better to refrain from clogging up the screen with a /me by keeping it simple.

Both are fine.

I wouldn't say it is. I've known people who used to write long /mes and honestly, I find it unnecessary in my humble opinion. In the end, it's up to people I guess, if they wanna flex their English knowledge and whatsoever, but me personally? I prefer to keep it short and to the point most of the time, maybe throw a few finer details here and there.

That varies from roleplay to roleplay. For example during a robbery you should go with short /me's but accurate. Like not /me pats down XYZ /b showtimes.

Nah not like that. When tattooing someone though, get ready for long emotes and least 30 minutes or roleplay. Depending on chosen tattoo.

• Upvote 1

no they're not,

people can do super-long, detailed emotes that make them sound like they're some kinda harvard graduate, but it doesn't help it one bit if they can't dev a realistic character for shit. also, i dont enjoy reading through a ton of unneeded filler (and sometimes even deciphering what the fuck they meant to say because people think that using super uncommon words makes them fancy) just to figure what the player in question is trying to say.

ppl should rly focus on their character's development and portraying a realistic and believable character, not on how long they can make their emotes be, because, in reality, as long as all the necessary information is there and the emote is understandable, that's enough. 

as an example, i'd much rather see /me slots his gun than /me slowly reaches to his belt. He slides his service issued Glock 22 into its designated holster, finally, he looks up.

what others have said: quality > quantity 

edit: PSA - PLEASE do not use "as he/she" where it doesn't fit, its actually grammatically incorrect.

Edited by Brian

Depends.

Want to portray your character smoking?

Just /me lights up a cigarette.

Want to showcase the Zippo that saved your character's life in Vietnam?

/me dug into his pocket for a pack of Marlboro Reds and a Zippo lighter. He bit a cigarette and started the lighter up with a finger-snapping trick.

Detailed emotes are a good storytelling tool, but when it's just some meaningless-in-the-bigger-picture action, you should keep it simple.

IMO, and I'll fight anyone who disagrees IRL.

EDIT:

PSA: Stop emoting out thoughts and feelings. Please don't ask why not.

Edited by SCANDALOUZ
  • Upvote 7
  • Wuhtah locked this topic