Are long /me's signs of a good roleplayer?

mojojojo

I once had someone hit out with a fucking absurdly long /me to hand my character $40 - including opening their fingers and grasping the notes from their wallet.   I honestly can't imagine why people think typing a novel to do something like handing over two bits of paper makes them a good roleplayer.  Even better when they can't hold a conversation because they are too busy writing 400 characters to describe how they took two steps across a room.

I've said it a million times on this forum and LS-RPs.   /me is to show what your character is physically doing - your character having a conversation shows who your character is; what they are about and how they feel.  Good roleplay comes from good interactions between characters and not how they hold their cigarette while they lean on their car.

No of course it does not, however if you write /me grabs his phone, or /me shakes his hand, you're just being lazy and missing the oppurtunity to add some extra flavour and depth to your character portrayal. Sometimes you need to be a bit more descriptive to be able to add those small details that make or break an character, a shaky hand because you're and old politician or a sweaty hand because your character has anxiety issues, just to name a few examples.

To be a good role player is to be a good story teller, to be descriptive and able to captivate the interest of others who are involved with you in character wise, this can be done with long or short me's, the trick is to find the middle ground and stick to it.

You don't have to write books nor do three word /me's, you adjust it depending on the situation that you're in.

Theres a difference between a detailed /me and an obnoxious /me and that difference comes from something called context.

If you do some mundane action like laughing, sneezing etc. then a short /me is the way to go. Fuck it, an /ame can be lifesaving too.

• 3 weeks later...

I once roleplayed with this dude, he would type three lines long /me's with this intricate language to describe the way he's sitting and some menial shit. I straight out skipped though lines or ignored it, go on WattPad my man, I'm not reading your smut.

If you do that, please reconsider what you call roleplay.

Edited by meltcity

Depends on the situation. 

I've had what I consider good one on one conversations in RP when we'll mostly use dialogue and then through in a /me relevent to the context, whether it's long or short just depends. But a short /me is just as good.

/me contemplates the question, rubbing their eyes in frustration. It had been a long day. 

Vs 

"It's alright, I'm not drunk!" 

/me is drunk. 

I had someone literally use that second one on me once and the short and simple delivery made for a hilarious scene. Describing too much just drags it out and it loses the punch. And even with long ones, at least with myself, I try and write my dialogue and /mes to compliment other player's time (it's not a /me off, everyone should get their turn of RP in). 

On that last note, I remember when I first started RPing and I was paired up with someone who was more-or-less showing off how much minuscule detail they could fit into checking the alarms on their boy racer car. Detail and research are good for your character, but writing your /me like an over-thought technical run down of a reactor system from a Star Trek fanfic isn't. (No diss to Star Trek btw 😉 ).

It differs on the context. 
If you need to give out a detailed emote in order to make people understand what you're doing, you do that.
But if you are just going to write an emote that consist of a simple activity, I recommend you keep it simple.

Of course, everyone has their own liking, some might like long emotes, some might like shortened ones.
In my opinion, a good RPer is a person who portrays their character correctly. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic