The status of Davis Mall

17 hours ago, shareef2 said:

Not to hurt anyone's feelings but the interior is also quite bland, but I doubt a shiny one would change anything.

2 hours ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

Simply making the mapping prettier won't really create what the mall needs - a need for players to visit it.

Well, the mapping of the mall in its current state isnt exactly the best. The entire point behind custom mapping is to transmit an atmosphere that assist roleplay. And the current atmosphere is.. well.. yeah. Not ideal.

If we simply ran applications for mall booths, this would go for itself. Then there could be a group keeping these stores in check + ... **mall cops**.

It has a lot of opportunity, but we have to start by reworking it and offering pre-made store fronts that one can apply onto over leases and then customize said shop into something special.

Edited by MomoIsHere
  • Upvote 1

I still believe that the mall in Rockford would have been way better choice for a first mall, would apply to a wider range of people than Davis Mall which is primarily for locals in South LS because nobody in their right mind would go into south LS willingly.

Put player run scripted businesses (24/7 liquor, tobacco, etc.)  in there (which would involve making it easier for people to do so.) Remove the clothing store that is three blocks away and place it in the mall, and I think you would see a lot more activity. 

*afterthought, it would be cool if a lot of the scripted business were in there and it acted as sort of a "hub" for roleplay. Heck you could even put the DMV in there etc. And then there could be several hubs on the server, one in Davis, one in Richmond, and one in sandy. Just talking out loud.

Also I was thinking it would be cool to have a player ran bank, actually RP with a teller to get your money or make deposits. 

Edited by Devastante

Fair warning, I'm european, so maybe this is different in California or something.

A majority of people go to malls primarily to purchase groceries. The mall is then designed to have customers walk through a ton of advertising and stores to reach the supermarket.

Yes, there are also people who hang out at the coffee shops and restaurants, and who specifically go for a few clothing stores. And teenagers recording tik-tok posts on the parking lot. But if you take away the supermarket from any mall, the mall dies.

My point is, people by and large aren't interested in household roleplay, so the mall will never work. It's sad because I'd love to roleplay myself  roleplay a mall cop.

Edited by arrdef
6 minutes ago, arrdef said:

Fair warning, I'm an european, so maybe this is different in California or something.

A majority of people go to malls primarily to purchase groceries. The mall is then designed to have customers walk through a ton of advertising and stores to reach the supermarket.

Yes, there are also people who hang out at the coffee shops and restaurants, and who specifically go for a few clothing stores. And teenagers recording tik-tok posts on the parking lot. But if you take away the supermarket from any mall, the mall dies.

My point is, people by and large aren't interested in household roleplay, so the mall will never work. It's sad because I'd love to roleplay myself  roleplay a mall cop.

Used to be a bigger thing here (most old malls have grocery stores) but we call those strip malls, today in North America malls are full of boutiques, big brand names, department stores like Walmart, banks, food stalls, etc. the list goes on. The draw to malls in real life are really to window shop, kill time and hit the food court.  What would make it appealing in the game? A community really, the only thing that brings life to any empty husk on this server is community. It would be best done as a faction (company) with a real incentive to make money and keep the mall active.

My two cents to invigorate the Davis Mall

Prioritize granting player ran business sections inside the mall versus the properties out and on the streets. This can be done through incentives such as lower rent or free advertising and inclusion into mall wide events)

Faction the mall as a whole to be a player ran organization. Merely comprised of maintenance and security staff that look after the mall in and out as a whole and not a store to store basis.

• Management  (Handle the mall policies, employees and ensuring the tenants are in order and following mall policies)
  • Leasing ( Responsible for issuing and managing the booths and rentals)
  • Security Guards (Security for staff, businesses and the link between the PD/SD)
  • Janitorial (Cleaning and building maintenance)

2 hours ago, MomoIsHere said:

Well, the mapping of the mall in its current state isnt exactly the best. The entire point behind custom mapping is to transmit an atmosphere that assist roleplay. And the current atmosphere is.. well.. yeah. Not ideal.

If we simply ran applications for mall booths, this would go for itself. Then there could be a group keeping these stores in check + ... **mall cops**.

It has a lot of opportunity, but we have to start by reworking it and offering pre-made store fronts that one can apply onto over leases and then customize said shop into something special.

I volunteer as tribute!

2 hours ago, arrdef said:

Fair warning, I'm european, so maybe this is different in California or something.

In California malls are not for buying groceries.  The focus of shopping malls is to buy clothing, jewelry, shoes, department store stuff, specialty store stuff, and novelty store stuff.  Then there's the food court, but there aren't any grocery stores because that would cut in to the business of the food court shops.  People shop for groceries in supermarkets, which are frequently in outdoor strip malls, or they shop for groceries neighborhood grocery shops.  I'm sure everyone knows this, but I'm going to say it anyway.  In an American context, shopping malls are big enclosed buildings that have a lot of department stores.  Strip malls are outdoor parking lots with number of neighborhood stores.  In big built up cities, not sprawling cities but built up cities, there are many more neighborhood grocery shops, corner shops, and individual shops, like butcher shops and so on.  In the sprawling suburbs around a built up city center, you would find a supermarket in the strip mall that would sell groceries and have a butcher shop section, a delicatessen section where they make sandwiches, and a bakery section.  In the built up city center itself, or in built up neighborhoods around the city center, you'd be more likely to find the corner shop, the neighborhood grocery shop, the individual butcher shop, and the individual bakery shop.  In New York and other densely populated cities there are little corner shop type neighborhood shops called bodegas which sell groceries and other necessities.  Bodegas are frequently a latino tradition, so it makes perfect sense for theme to be in GTAW Los Santos. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic