What are some valid levels of escalation with “legal” roleplayers?

What every neighborhood needs is a good Karen character. Everyone knows that Karen's are the bane of every act; illegal or legal. Trouble with hot head bangers? Get a Karen. You don't even need to escalate to calling the cops. The Karen will call them and record the entire interaction 

I'm all down for gangs being in gentrified areas, but I also agree with the sentiment that they can't expect the ruleset to be the same as in gang-infested areas. For one, if you're a set in a more upper-class area you probably don't have a lot of competition going on locally other than the beefs you feed across the city, which allows you to have a different approach. You also have to take into account the population that lives where you are and also the fact that you're trying to survive and grow, so you need to do things different and recruit differently.

I don't like the mindset that tends to happen where a gang moves into a territory like Mirror Park (a gentrified, middle to upper class area) and then claim via their faction lore that they've been there for months to years. Then they expect or force the people who were there first to RP around that. Now all of a sudden people who were there first are suddenly snitches for calling the cops for questionable behavior and retaliated against because now it's suddenly gang territory. To me its ridiculous.

• Applaud 2

The thing I don't understand is a gang harassing it's own neighbors constantly in Mirror Park, then when they get the cops called on them it's violence. You.. Live here... Do your crime somewhere else, the amount of people in Mirror Park who are cops, and "cop callers"... It makes no sense for you to continue actively doing crime in broad daylight in the neighborhood when the likelihood of cops being called is 70%, and each member has charges or past run ins with cops for the exact same thing in the exact same area multiple times. And everyone who continues doing crime here is an automatic suspect because of this, you're setting yourselves up for failure IC'ly and it doesn't make a lot of sense, sure gang members aren't the smartest but are they supposed to be incredibly stupid too?

Trespassing in someone's yard? Hey man, this guy was in my yard. Can you just tell him to leave me alone? Sure no prob, I'll talk to him. Verbal warning, he'll stay away!...
1hr later.
Fuck you cop caller! My fuckin hood, I'm bashin yo' windows up!

OK

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Sush said:

I think the main reason that happens too is these people don't live in the area they're banging. So as a result you essentially have a group of teenagers who get driven to their gang turf by their mom every morning so they can front a set they don't live in. But yeah, nobody gets fear or respect automatically or retroactively. You have to earn respect through what your crew does over time and develop a reputation from that. Forcing people to RP a history with your crew that didn't exist is frankly powergaming and silly as you can make up whatever you want as fact and imply people are bad roleplayers because they don't want to feed into it.

Sums my thoughts up very well. Unfortunately I've already fled the Mirror Park area to settle for a nice apartment instead. Mirror Park could be a decently chill spot with cookouts and the occasional yuppie event in the park. Ultimately I chose to live and let live, but bangers somehow affording to live in a place that is one of the most expensive parts of the city is something I can't understand. Just as the area seems to have finally (somewhat) rid itself of the catgirl meme people (no offense... peace and love to all) here comes the homies turning it into a shithole and busting into every house with a car parked outside. There is a lack of real estate for gangs so I can see the desire to want to branch out to places like Morningwood, Alta, or Hawick, but Mirror Park simply shouldn't be affordable for unemployed criminals.

• Upvote 1

False-claiming wanna-be Crips in an upper-middle class area that were formed to impress Valley-girls in highschool while hosting house-parties is the way to go... eventually, they'll become hard.

A) Allows the people to see them as a "new gang creeping up in the hood" with members that probably have a middle-class socio-economic condition. 

B) Unique roleplay... never seen false-claimers on this server, en masse, which is more common than you can imagine. There's at LEAST 2 false-claimers for every real gang-banger, out there.

C) Really fits the area.

Parents Say 15-Year-Old Went From Preppy Kid To Wannabe Gangster - YouTube 

Teen described as "wannabe gangster" in gun scare - YouTube

Edited by DLimit
32 minutes ago, sio said:

Why would you catch a murder charge over something so petty?

Whole other discussion, but to break it down: Because it is extremely easy to get away with most crime, let alone fighting charges in courts. And even then, the worst you can get is a 2 week break or namechange from the character. Naturally, the threshold is as low due to the comparable low risk and general mindset on Grand Theft Auto based roleplay communities - afterall, shooting each other is more action and fun than writing blocks of text.

OT:

A lot of it comes down to the situation at hand, factors like location, prior history and others. It is no secret the server treats the city under some code of silence where interactions with police regardless of background, location and time are always considered snitching and must be punished harshly all the way up to death and the general threshold to commit violent crime being extremely low.

A good rule of thumb would be asking yourself the question "Would that happen in real life?" or a simple "Would this be realistic?". You hang out at a park and get cops called on you from Karen living across the street because she thinks you are a bunch of sussy bakas? Explain the stuff to the cops, they will be on their way and shrug Karen off. Escalating the situation and catching unnecessary police attention from increased patrol presence over active investigations down to gang injunctions and your homies getting put behind bars? Totally worth it...

23 minutes ago, orca112 said:

Whole other discussion, but to break it down: Because it is extremely easy to get away with most crime, let alone fighting charges in courts. And even then, the worst you can get is a 2 week break or namechange from the character. Naturally, the threshold is as low due to the comparable low risk and general mindset on Grand Theft Auto based roleplay communities - afterall, shooting each other is more action and fun than writing blocks of text.

As someone who has been in this situation before I heavily disagree, all due respect. I think PD/SD do a good enough job of building their cases and noone really wants to do court so unless they are really desperate they will usually just plead guilty.

• Wuhtah locked this topic