What are some valid levels of escalation with “legal” roleplayers?

5 minutes ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

There's a big difference between reporting someone directly to the police and calling 911 because there's people punching/stabbing/shooting each other in public, I think everybody knows and agrees that if you're directly going out of your way to report specific criminals and get them sent to jail your character's going to get got.

My problem here is criminals hunting down and killing civilians for calling the police in situations where a civilian calling the cops would be realistic, the only reason a lot of these criminals are able to hunt down specific individuals in the first place being the village-like population of the server and really shouldn't be something considered acceptable.

I don't play an exclusively legal civilian but I feel for people who do. They fight back? they're labeled mallrat PF warriors. They call the cops like anybody in modern day America would? They're ripped from their homes and given the Comando Vermelho treatment as they're mag-dumped in to spaghetti. 

You raise a good point. If a civilian notifies the police over a massive brawl or a shooting, then people won't make a big deal over the person notifying the police. However, if it's a simple "one-on-one", then that person may be targeted as one-on-one fights aren't treated as something serious to the average person in the hood. 

Convenience store clerks, over here, turn a blind eye to loud arguments and 1-on-1 fights. They turn a blind eye to most things, unless it's something lethal.

Another thing to take into consideration... if a kid steals from a store? Only the staff should really notify the police. If you're shopping in that store and snitch? Then, you'll be targeted. It's more of a "Why do you give a fuck if a kid stole from another man's store?" type of situation.

Edited by DLimit
6 hours ago, Sush said:

If some random guy was running around in your backyard IRL I feel like having the cops come down and talk to him is a reasonable solution. In the situation I know you're referencing, the guys involved got in 0 trouble with the police. The cops literally just asked them to stop and left, so there was no need to escalate it further. It's the classic turning nothing into something; especially considering the original provocateur's were the ones trespassing in the first place. 

Weren’t you the same cop who tailed my character for fifteen minutes to taunt him for acting like he needed a wheelchair

3 hours ago, Koko said:

Revenge? For what? A neighbor calling the cops because someone is acting suspicious?

What I'd do is tell the cops I just went with my friends to enjoy the park and have a couple of drinks at the Mirror Park Tavern, and then try to go about my day.

If I had criminal intentions I'd realize someone has given the police my description or my details, would conclude that this neighborhood is alert and I'd go try crime elsewhere. Revenge when there's been no real victims other than your ego for being told you acted "suspicious" would be pretty ridiculous by real world standards.

There’s a difference though, if your actively trying to commit crime and you get snitched on by someone living in your gangs turf some type of repercussions would be in place no? 

8 hours ago, Vash Baldeus said:

You walking in Mirror Park, a known place for housing, you walk on the street and someone suspects you, he or she will call 911 and cops will stop you, if you explain yourselves properly they'll let you go about your day. Simple as that.

While working as a security guard in real life, I've noticed cops being called on suspicious behavior randoms showed in most cases nothing happened, only once cops actually detained and found drugs on person. So yes, it happens in real life too.

The thing is, cops take it a step further and try to suddenly start searching people down which usually cause the reactions with some people.

5 minutes ago, RoyalPainter said:

Weren’t you the same cop who tailed my character for fifteen minutes to taunt him for acting like he needed a wheelchair

I have no idea what you mean but posting three separate times in a row in the same thread just to bash people isn't a good look.

18 minutes ago, RoyalPainter said:

There’s a difference though, if your actively trying to commit crime and you get snitched on by someone living in your gangs turf some type of repercussions would be in place no? 

Mirror Park (a completely gentrified, expensive suburban area, sought after by well-off people who generally have a more settled life, which is what you specifically used in your example) is not exactly the place for people to assume hood social practices to apply , if you're asking me.

As someone who's lived in "gang turf", I'd argue most people wouldn't snitch, but they'd call you out even if you're in a gang for robbing your own community. At least growing up, criminals in my neighborhood generally went to other places, they didn't rob their neighbor (save for people who were down really bad, junkies, etc.).

Edited by Koko
  • Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, RoyalPainter said:

The thing is, cops take it a step further and try to suddenly start searching people down which usually cause the reactions with some people.

Now that depends on how the other party acts really. Moreover the people who had cops called on them can put a complaint in against the cop if they overstepped the boundaries without a proper reasoning.

5 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

I mean, you guys have it pretty good right now. Not only can people be robbed within direct line of sight of a police station without repercussions, civilians aren't allowed to use CCW's in self defense without extreme and thorough OOC review, during which their character background is explored to verify whether they are allowed to use the CCW at all. No combat experience? No history with violence? Not allowed to use a gun.

Doesn't get much easier than having an administrative team making CCW's meaningless to have.

Lmao they did that? As if the 1 million illegal guns and SMGs wasn't enough, now the civilians are defenceless too. Hope robbers enjoy meeting people with no items and 0$ on them then.

people don't seem to understand what happens if you're unlawfully searched by the police (even on GTA: W).

if a cop finds a gun on you because of an illegal search and you fight that specific point, the evidence that was procured illegally cannot be used against you. i.e., no charges and probably a cop-no-more.

if u pull out said gun and kill the cops, GG homie. you're donezo.

that being said, i also don't think that killing the person who said you were suspicious or breaking their windows et cetera is a very valid response. when people get reported for being "suspicious" in real life, they usually just verbally harass the person and then go on about their business.

• Wuhtah locked this topic