What is your opinion/thoughts on illegal RP

Spartan

3 minutes ago, EffPee said:

People shouldn't be relying on the script benefits to roleplay around drugs, it should be something they do as part of their character. The drug market is stale for multiple reasons, one is definitely the economy, another might be people do not know how to roleplay around the drugs they buy. Because of this, people have to resort to making losses in the drug market, selling their drugs cheaper than they should just so they can roleplay that they're a drug dealer, or buying drugs from other people even though you have plenty of your own just to help other peoples roleplay.

'The server should encourage more gun violence' is a crazy line on its own, but I somewhat see your point; ultimately I don't agree with it though. Lowering gun prices isn't going to fix the drug market, more gun violence won't fix the drug market.

Illegal RP needs more support regarding monetary gains, considering how controversial robberies are we need more ways that we can earn money through the script, that also encourage illegal RP. So many people say 'just get a job', but that defeats the purpose of being an illegal roleplayer. 

I will say though, if you are relying on gun violence to enjoy your illegal RP, you should open yourself to more avenues because that is no way to go around it.

I agree with you. I will re-phrase, I meant more gun violence within organized crime territories. I do enjoy the illegal RP and I do not rely on gun violence completely but it's certainly a major part of it, I still think the gun market needs adjustments especially if you are aiming for realism. It would be understandable if rifles and carbines were costly but a standard 9mm off the street ? Hell no.

Also, there has to be some script benefits along with the roleplay if you don't want oversaturated markets.

I cannot express this enough;

The illegal roleplaying community has really great role-players, but you don't see people going around and being vocal about it-- Lemme explain.

The reason in the general view of why the Illegal roleplaying community has a bad reputation and why people seem to be hating on it wayyy too much is because in the public's view, it's the part that it's most talked about, particularly in forum reports and faction threads. People will talk about that rather then positive experiences because that's what's "interesting" and "gets reactions". Nobody's gonna really particularly care about a positive roleplaying experience cause it's human nature for people to like drama.

And it also happens in the legal community, take for example the recent G6 shooting, the LSSD drama in the Christmas Ball and even the recent removal of the chief; it's still being discussed because people really like talking about drama and milking the situation out as much as they goddamn want. Whereas nobody is really discussing the recent successes of LSSD and G6 and even LSPD for that matter.

The reason why the illegal community is under such a hated microscope though and we don't hear much from the LSPD community? Simple-- Faction investigations aren't as public on the legal side as they are on the illegal side. The outcomes of illegal faction investigations become very public when the results of the investigations are posted on the faction thread, whereas in LSPD, LSSD and LSFD they are usually only posted on internal forums (as recently evident on the recent firing of the LSPD chief).

My suggestion for this issue; Make it equal and either make everything public or make everything private.

TLDR;

- The most vocal part of this community is the ones that are talking about the minuses of the illegal factions.

- Nobody wants to talk about positive experiences because it's not interesting.

- The reason why it's so vocal is cause legal factions usually have results of LFM investigations privately investigated, whereas IFM is very vocal about the results of investigations.

- My suggestion is to make everything equal.

One big factor in how criminal roleplay is perceived, is the nature of the interactions - criminals characters are antagonists, they break the law and make victims, which is essential for most enjoyable stories. In a modern day urban roleplay setting, that necessity goes up drastically.

...but being a good bad guy, is not easy.

Again, the interaction is almost always antagonistic, as when the average office worker is approached by a mugger, their ability to stop and walk away from unentertaining or possibly even intentionally malicious roleplay, is disallowed. They MUST remain there and they are REQUIRED to endure whatever abuse is thrown at them.

Tell me the name of just one criminal roleplayer who will discontinue or adjust a scene if their victim voices that the scene is genuinely becoming upsetting.

Do you know what I was told last time I brought this up? I was told that the goal of roleplay was to win, regardless of what other roleplayers want or how they factor in. I was bluntly informed that in the criminal roleplay scene, other roleplayers do. not. matter.

That is a problem when a criminal roleplayer can hold anyone's experience hostage, with maybe a few days of downtime if they are caught. That is largely why the perspective of criminal roleplay is so negative - because there is an unchecked attitude that criminal roleplayers should not be at all concerned for other roleplayers,and that nobody should care if the interaction leaves a lasting negative impression with others.

Edited by DasFroggy

First of all, I am happy with Roleplaying with and around illegal factions. People are mad because they get robbed by people who Roleplay illegal but not in the factions, just small crews of people driving around and doing shit. Look at the faction threads, Martorano, Rancho, Sveto's Armenians, Shiroq's Armenians, and all the other factions I didn't mention. Bunch of them are extremely experienced people in that field of Roleplay. I don't see any issues with the factions, most of illegal Roleplayers don't see any issues with the factions. But if you all want better illegal roleplay? Stop making suggestions to add new phones on the server, and start supporting illegal roleplayers and their suggestions. Because, this server is lacking on illegal updates. And let's stop hating each other. We, illegal RPers need civilians, and PD, and they need us. As Arakn said:

21 hours ago, arkan said:

underappreciated and unsupported... but we are getting there

Edited by .Pluto.

Illegal roleplay is a lot of fun, I just wish it wasn't so god damn toxic when you join the bigger official factions. I tend to avoid every single one and just stick with my petty crime and drug-doing petty crim's with little interaction with the bigger gangs and factions. I wish this wasn't the case, but I've never had a good experience /ooc/ with a large criminal faction. ICly? I've had plenty, and they're home to some of the best roleplayers out there, and even if I stick mostly in the legal roleplay zone, without illegal roleplay? Legal roleplay would barely exist.

I do hate the segregation of illegal/legal on this server. If it worked well, legal players would slowly transition into being criminals due to IC circumstances. But we don't live in a perfect world and characters tend to start off bad, which is totally fine. I just wish more legal characters acted a lot more shady.

2 minutes ago, DasFroggy said:

I would not mind associating with shady people if it did not come with an increased risk of a random and unexpected CK.

...plus,it is generally not easy to find the mafia types.

One of my issues with this community is their adversary view toward CK's, a good CK makes a good character, and I'm completely fine with them. Most of the time if it hits the level of CK's, their's a ton of roleplay surrounded it, and it can be a super positive experience.

So I actually find that a lot more fun, and it adds to the stakes of a character. It shouldn't be a deterrent.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

One of my issues with this community is their adversary view toward CK's, a good CK makes a good character, and I'm completely fine with them. Most of the time if it hits the level of CK's, their's a ton of roleplay surrounded it, and it can be a super positive experience.

So I actually find that a lot more fun, and it adds to the stakes of a character. It shouldn't be a deterrent.

It is not a voluntary process most of the time, and it essentially nullifies your part in the play. 

You are not wrong, a good death can make for a great story, moreso if unexpected. But to ask that everyone have a sudden, unplanned conclusion to their work, friendships, progress, and overall place in the community without their consent...

This is the only community I have known where it is the standard. Every community before this in seventeen years of roleplay, CK's were only a result of repeated acts of seemingly deliberately mindless choices, and usually acted as a soft ban.

...which is what it is in a way - a very soft ban from the community. You lose everything at the behest of violating some rule, to preserve a status quo. Everyone you knew, everything you earned, every choice you have made is disconnected from you.

Alas, if my character is CK'd by another unexpectedly, I will leave the community, as that character has somehow defied my attempts at creating others, and remained my only viable means of enjoying the server. Other characters just do not mesh, and forcing that mesh would fail exactly as it did the last three times.

So I forego any real risk, because I enjoy being with this community. 

But this is a bit off track, and probably for another discussion.

Edited by DasFroggy
4 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

Again, the interaction is almost always antagonistic, as when the average office worker is approached by a mugger, their ability to stop and walk away from unentertaining or possibly even intentionally malicious roleplay, is disallowed. They MUST remain there and they are REQUIRED to endure whatever abuse is thrown at them.

The biggest targets of illegal RPers are other illegal RPers. Robberies, the example you've given, are an absolute scam. Many a times people suddenly forget how to type and turn to 20 wpm during a robbery. Stalling has been a thing forever, and to top it all off, there's a robbery limit, lol.

Either way this thread is getting off topic. Please remember that this thread aims to improve illegal RP and make it more fun for everyone, through enhancing the gun economy, drug economy, or any other idea that would make the game more fun through illegal paths.

43 minutes ago, maramizo said:

The biggest targets of illegal RPers are other illegal RPers. Robberies, the example you've given, are an absolute scam. Many a times people suddenly forget how to type and turn to 20 wpm during a robbery. Stalling has been a thing forever, and to top it all off, there's a robbery limit, lol.

Either way this thread is getting off topic. Please remember that this thread aims to improve illegal RP and make it more fun for everyone, through enhancing the gun economy, drug economy, or any other idea that would make the game more fun through illegal paths.

Rest assured, I am attempting to tackle this problem however I can, even by rewarding better quality criminals with greater payouts than the 5k limit.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic