What is your opinion/thoughts on illegal RP

Spartan

4 hours ago, Knight019 said:

I think organized crime RP certainly doesn't feel the way it should. This is especially apparent in LCN groups on the server, most of the time they feel like an organization that just governs over a set of mostly legal businesses, and they happen to do some illegal stuff on the side. I think the Asian gangs in Little Seoul maintain a lot better balance between their legal and illegal business ventures and should be looked at for an example as to how to do it right. 

I also really like the state of the sereno gangs and think that they, as well as their connection to larger organizations is roleplayed very well. They should definitely keep it up as is. 

First of all, real life LCN have moved a huge amount of their focus towards legal businesses. What do you think this is, the 80's? Second of all "they happen to do some illegal stuff on the side" - the only way you could possibly think that there is a lack of illegal activity in the two LCN groups on this server is if you haven't looked at either thread in months. 

• Upvote 3
38 minutes ago, ThomasNoman said:

Lawful characters literally have no chances to break rules because they don't kill or do anything that cause other characters' significant loss. View the report section, simple enough - gang issues, robbing, etc.

Oh trust me, I've been on the reports section. This is not a true statement. Numerous people get jailed/warned and even banned for unrealistic driving, not roleplaying trucking deliveries, and general rule 0 rulebreaks.

As for the "getting assets part", there's a reason why the average cop is literally richer than many illegal faction leaders out there. Illegal RP is not profitable, period. Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong. This isn't a topic of debate, this is a fact.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, maramizo said:

As for the "getting assets part", there's a reason why the average cop is literally richer than many illegal faction leaders out there. Illegal RP is not profitable, period. Anyone who says otherwise is just wrong. This isn't a topic of debate, this is a fact.

This is what I meant to express above. Monetarily speaking, drug dealers are the ones who without any question do it really for the rp only as if it wasn't for that they'd truck or work a counter at a /bjoin instead. Or get any job really as they all pay at least around the basic 4k/hour.

Edited by knppel
9 hours ago, Knight019 said:

I think organized crime RP certainly doesn't feel the way it should. This is especially apparent in LCN groups on the server, most of the time they feel like an organization that just governs over a set of mostly legal businesses, and they happen to do some illegal stuff on the side. I think the Asian gangs in Little Seoul maintain a lot better balance between their legal and illegal business ventures and should be looked at for an example as to how to do it right. 

I also really like the state of the sereno gangs and think that they, as well as their connection to larger organizations is roleplayed very well. They should definitely keep it up as is. 

I take that as quite an uneducated take.

Having been inducted in both core LCN groups on the server, Conti and Martorano what you're saying is quite frankly wrong.

For starters, rackets wise my current faction and crew are heavily involved in:

Prositution, bookmaking, loansharking, credit card fraud and coordinated truck robberies with insiders. All the while heavily involved in unions and corruption there of. 

From my previous experience in Conti, there was a heavy focus on narcotics trafficking and extortion. The latter being one of the best coordinated extortion attempts on the server through Marchetti Waste Management. 

All the while my time in both factions had side businesses as is tradition of typical modern LCN. 

Just go look at screens and change your take. 

Edited by Alexion
8 minutes ago, maramizo said:

Oh trust me, I've been on the reports section. This is not a true statement. Numerous people get jailed/warned and even banned for unrealistic driving, not roleplaying trucking deliveries, and general rule 0 rulebreaks.

Well, you're right. I didn't think to include the unintelligent people. I don't know how those people even pass the applications though. However, reports, involving illegal roleplayers are still the majority.

Just a note for you, I didn't claim myself that illegal RP is profitable. It's a perspective from particular people I've known. I only criticize the part where they do it for personal fun like robbing people with poor roleplay. I agree with you. As a business owner I simply earn $100,000+ a week without needing to log in, and my government staff alt receiving $70,000 weekly.

Not everyone ever did profit on illegal activities, only those at the top. And in gangs, shotcallers. However if people expect to get rich easy and drive expensive cars like that? No that doesn't happen and didn't happen back in 90s anyway where most of "rich" criminals were actually those scamming the country on taxes. Not those selling drugs or guns. The only rich people in illegal rp are those who built the organization and remain at the top of it.

Edited by Engelbert
1 minute ago, Engelbert said:

Not everyone ever did profit on illegal activities, only those at the top. And in gangs, shotcallers. However if people expect to get rich easy and drive expensive cars like that? No that doesn't happen and didn't happen back in 90s anyway where most of "rich" criminals were actually those scamming the country on taxes. Not those selling drugs or guns.

No its got nothing to do with getting rich, being an illegal RPer on this server actually COSTS money for a lot of lower level criminals. People do it for the RP while operating at a loss unless they have a fantastic supply line going or happen to own a business. The reason people get involved with crime is out of desperation and if the server doesn't provide at least a marginal increase in income for illegal RPers it doesn't make sense that they would enter a life of crime at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
13 minutes ago, Visceral said:

No its got nothing to do with getting rich, being an illegal RPer on this server actually COSTS money for a lot of lower level criminals. People do it for the RP while operating at a loss unless they have a fantastic supply line going or happen to own a business. The reason people get involved with crime is out of desperation and if the server doesn't provide at least a marginal increase in income for illegal RPers it doesn't make sense that they would enter a life of crime at all.

Increase income from what? Robberies? That just depends on your marks and how much they carry at the time of robbery. Drug trades? If 90% of drug trades didn't end with "let's rob them anyway" shootout, then maybe people would actually rp those. Break-ins? Again, depends on what you can find inside, this is at courtesy of an admin though. If there's a tv screen, they should pay for a tv screen etc etc. But honestly Idk what incomes you are talking about. You either belong to an organization which pays you for your job, but again this payment is deducted from the amount you make for the boss, or you rp a teen gangsta whos being exploited, cause that's what they do with them, shotcallers are exploiting them. You think they care? Nah they can always find more exactly where they found you. That's the reality. Criminal roleplay is way way harder than people think it is. I been there for few monts over and over again. Gang rp is even harder, cause you are expected to pay your due to the local shotcaller. If you don't pay, they come for you and tell you why you should try harder. So it all depends what criminal part of the underworld you portray and how. Believe it or not, not everyone can rp a criminal. It takes skill actually.

And course then there are numbers, how many gangs and criminal organizations are there, if every income is to be made out of player population, then know there are roughly 750 or more in total. Not everyone online daily and not everyone a character able to generate enough money needed. Then compare the amount of businesses open daily to people visiting them and add number of gangs active. You'd see, the reason, why there is not much money in there.

Edited by Engelbert
17 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

Increase income from what? Robberies? That just depends on your marks and how much they carry at the time of robbery. Drug trades? If 90% of drug trades didn't end with "let's rob them anyway" shootout, then maybe people would actually rp those. Break-ins? Again, depends on what you can find inside, this is at courtesy of an admin though. If there's a tv screen, they should pay for a tv screen etc etc. But honestly Idk what incomes you are talking about. You either belong to an organization which pays you for your job, but again this payment is deducted from the amount you make for the boss, or you rp a teen gangsta whos being exploited, cause that's what they do with them, shotcallers are exploiting them. You think they care? Nah they can always find more exactly where they found you. That's the reality. Criminal roleplay is way way harder than people think it is. I been there for few monts over and over again. Gang rp is even harder, cause you are expected to pay your due to the local shotcaller. If you don't pay, they come for you and tell you why you should try harder. So it all depends what criminal part of the underworld you portray and how. Believe it or not, not everyone can rp a criminal. It takes skill actually.

Robberies that are capped at 5k and have a high chance of you ending up in prison because the scenes can take a while if you're allowing enough time for the victim to respond. And if you commit said robberies half the server calls you a bad RPer? Drug trades? Drug market is non-existent on this server. Its atrocious. Everyone has drugs. Very few are buying them. Break ins and business robberies? Good luck waiting on an admin response. An organization that pays you for your job? No buddy, the money flows UP. Not the other way around. 

I'm not saying criminals should be provided with opportunities to make a fortune off the bat, I'm saying the current opportunities push most people into a very select few options of making money via criminal RP because the other options are a net negative. Of course it takes skill to RP a criminal effectively. However, there still needs to be multiple ways of actually making money consistently which just isn't viable for a lot of people in the current status here. 

Edited by Visceral
  • Upvote 2
20 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

Not everyone ever did profit on illegal activities, only those at the top. And in gangs, shotcallers. However if people expect to get rich easy and drive expensive cars like that? No that doesn't happen and didn't happen back in 90s anyway where most of "rich" criminals were actually those scamming the country on taxes. Not those selling drugs or guns. The only rich people in illegal rp are those who built the organization and remain at the top of it.

The average cop is not as wildly richer than the average gang member, let alone actual OG, as the disparity lies on the server. Even the top criminals on the server in many factions do not make nearly as much money as their legal counterparts do. I mean the answer is very simple, how are they expected to make any money?

The only venue that did make money for a while was car chopping -> pawn shops -> knives/lockpicks/dusters. Now it's over saturated with every pawn shop selling a million lock picks, knives, you name it. Any other venue is just simply not profitable. Drugs are virtually useless. Guns are extremely overpriced. That's the whole issue at hand.

You do raise a good point, but that's not the issue at hand.

Edited by maramizo
  • Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic