What is your opinion/thoughts on illegal RP

Spartan

I would honestly love to see more on the legal side of illegal rp, if you know what I mean. Communities of people living in the same area where there just happens to be a gang. There’s many things I think can contribute to this- holding block parties and cookouts, opening up local family owned businesses, etc. 

Edited by Stiggz
  • Applaud 1

I think organized crime RP certainly doesn't feel the way it should. This is especially apparent in LCN groups on the server, most of the time they feel like an organization that just governs over a set of mostly legal businesses, and they happen to do some illegal stuff on the side. I think the Asian gangs in Little Seoul maintain a lot better balance between their legal and illegal business ventures and should be looked at for an example as to how to do it right. 

I also really like the state of the sereno gangs and think that they, as well as their connection to larger organizations is roleplayed very well. They should definitely keep it up as is. 

8 hours ago, Pádraig said:

citation needed

While not in a faction, I am pretty picky whos resume I advance for employment in an establishment I work at.

That of course means, that I also watch people oocly on the server, how they behave. I am not an admin of course, but roleplay I do, requires bit of dedication and given our reputation, also ooc attitude. So I am unlikely to accept someone who just decides to switch professions on the fly.

Too toxic OOC for the most part.

I'm not talking about a little shit talk - that's normal, expected and almost good in certain situations - I'm talking about entire circles of illegal factions banding together behind the scenes to try ruin a player(s) experience over what normally stems from a bruised ego, the worst examples always being the players living in a power fantasy through their characters.

Illegal RP is fine, I LOVE Illegal RP but Christ can it get dirty.

Like @Henningtouched on previously you're not a "snitch" for calling people out on their bullshit, this isn't Da Skreets and no matter who you think you are you're playing a video game with a bunch of other fat nerds like any other game, you see some questionable shit? Report it. You want to submit it privately? PM a member of staff, higher ranking ones if you feel it's important and/or urgent. Now THAT's based.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Engelbert said:

While not in a faction, I am pretty picky whos resume I advance for employment in an establishment I work at.

That of course means, that I also watch people oocly on the server, how they behave. I am not an admin of course, but roleplay I do, requires bit of dedication and given our reputation, also ooc attitude. So I am unlikely to accept someone who just decides to switch professions on the fly.

Exactly. I have been running a grocery store for four months. I've got a chance to meet people with different level of roleplay. Although I just own a small store, nothing big like factions, I denied multiple people with toxic OOC behavior, and mostly who can't get their capitalization and punctuation right, which is one of the most problematic thing I need to encounter as an employer in an interview.

Legal Factions are x5 stricter than me, so I don't know what you are talking about, @Pádraig

Edited by ThomasNoman
10 hours ago, ThomasNoman said:

Illegal roleplay will always be the side with worse roleplay quality due to the given reason above while in legal factions, players would need to have a reasonably good standard to join in general.

Eeeee. Tell that to the truckers, fishers and farmers, that have virtually no roleplay experience. I think you mix up legal faction roleplay with legal roleplay. Many people that roleplay legal aren't in a faction because they're new. Same goes to illegal roleplayers, many of them aren't in a faction.

The bar isn't legality, the bar is joining a faction and becoming a successful member.

P.S: I think legal and illegal roleplay are equally difficult, but illegal is just dropped pretty much and unsupported virtually except for the script (which is super useful - chopping, weed farming, etc) in some aspects, but leave much more to be desired in many other parts (refer to my original post).

Edited by maramizo

Besides people's individual standards and attitude- something we can't cast in rules quite, but only work on it for ourselves each- the economy is a major issue indeed.

That is in short why the weed-bill was vetoed, as no one mentioned that. Think a step beyond what's "realistic" and go back to an LS operated business.

Can you see the guy getting 4k gov support for pushing weed in his coffeeshop per hour? Good. So let's stick to our ingame reality than.

Now the weed guy is a particular hilarious example but you get what I am aiming at already.

As a halfway legal character not shy to work for the money, I can at anytime get a job paying me 4k/hour, regardless of my rp standards and without the actual attempt to help customers (in fact, and I've seen it various times, this setup encourages people to rp shitty vendors that fail to do service. In comparison to other communities, I see humble and professional drug dealers, as they rely on my money and have to sell, while the typical shop vendor acts arrogant and leaves the customer to themselves often enough, not relying on their petty money anyway as the government generously sponsors their activity).

Even if I don't bother to actually sell my goods and stick to the 4k, I can buy a lot of coke already from that.

The other end of the ridiculously out of balance scale is guns of course.

I can buy enough hard drugs to poison a large family from what I make with a standard job by the hour.

To purchase a single firearm under the hand, I have to work 5-10 hours depending on my character's contacts, patients, current availability and so on.

What is in theory a mechanism to make people "roleplay carefully" has the complete opposite effect- it doesn't make people that don't act careful to begin with act more careful.

It only makes guns more valuable for everybody, encouraging people to behave in a way that protects their guns opposed to let's say, do what my character'd do.

Cross-referencing to the robbery topic, but let's say I go rob people with a gun. Taking wallets, I need to succeed six times to refinance this if I pay 30k for a gun.

So the reason robbers cannot regularly "take the L", surrender their gun, give up and go to jail for being caught is economically based as well:

You literally can't afford to regularly spend money on guns and get caught with them (unless you have big backup funds which again make robbing  peanuts an unlikely character motivation).

It's just not in the economy for the average illegal citizen to regularly surrender a gun (may it be to cops, or other robbers, no matter).

Needless to point out, this is double trouble as due to their heigh value in our economy guns are a constant target to be aquired and as mentioned above by several parties, people even go ooc over it (which is evidence of a lack of a competitive market first of all, if anything).

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, maramizo said:

Eeeee. Tell that to the truckers, fishers and farmers, that have virtually no roleplay experience. I think you mix up legal faction roleplay with legal roleplay. Many people that roleplay legal aren't in a faction because they're new. Same goes to illegal roleplayers, many of them aren't in a faction.

The bar isn't legality, the bar is joining a faction and becoming a successful member.

P.S: I think legal and illegal roleplay are equally difficult, but illegal is just dropped pretty much and unsupported virtually except for the script (which is super useful - chopping, weed farming, etc) in some aspects, but leave much more to be desired in many other parts (refer to my original post).

Truckers, Fisherman and Farmers can't do any harm and I honestly judge these people to be smart as they start legal to be safe for themselves from 'accidentally' violating the server rules when they are not experienced, while some players choose to create an illegal character instantly, trying to get a gun and a friend to rob people because that's the fun way. Civilians will not get in a shootout on daily basis like gang members. Lawful characters literally have no chances to break rules because they don't kill or do anything that cause other characters' significant loss. View the report section, simple enough - gang issues, robbing, etc. One thing I'd like to add is how unprofessional behavior some gang or illegal roleplayers show significantly alter their overall reputation, which I don't think it needs further elaboration.

There's a reason why I don't want to roleplay an illegal character despite it sounding interesting, and what I'd like to personally participate. Players in fact, see illegal roleplayers in a pathetic way, thinking they just want assets, they just do it for personal fun or in a trolly way. I used to be in an LEO group on a similar text based community, and found this fact true. While I don't believe that's the case here in GTAW, I still personally don't want to have a poor reputation in terms of roleplay ability and attitude reputation due to an illegal character from a perspective of other players, roleplaying lawful characters because as I said, people judge the overall picture.

Edited by ThomasNoman

From what I've witnessed on the server, illegal rp is ostracized by the vast majority of the server's playerbase.  It feels like people only want to roleplay legal stuff and whenever they encounter an illegal roleplayer, said illegal roleplayer is looked down upon.

I've also seen that a lot of people have a weird attitude when it comes to roleplay, everyone resorts to OOC immediately when a situation doesn't go their way and they go an extra mile by taking IC stuff OOC, (I've witnessed this first hand, people getting angry OOC'ly at the outcome of a situation, or even going as far as metagaming stuff to justify avoiding your character / not roleplaying with you). 

HOWEVER, I can kind of understand why some players feel that way towards illegal roleplayers.  It's a fact that the standards of the majority of the playerbase aren't that high, and when you pair that with a wrong OOC mentality, it ends up being a catastrophic situation. I myself have felt like not playing anymore after some of the encounters I had with legal roleplayers while roleplaying illegal.  I don't think there's much that can be done unless we all change our mentality and become more accepting of IC outcomes, people take stuff OOC waaaaay too much, and it demotivates people.

Edited by amphetamine
typos
  • Wuhtah locked this topic