What is your opinion/thoughts on illegal RP

Spartan

19 minutes ago, Smilesville said:
  1. Alternatively, people avoid the "buy drugs off me or I rob you" dynamic by not engaging to begin with. Too much risk for RP they're not even that enthusiastic about to begin with.

2. It's a common enough problem to cause mistrust. All it takes is organized illegal RPers being flippantly dismissive of the concern - case in point. Unless you're going to wear nametags announcing you're part of the official organized illegal RPers who aren't bad crowd, people will hedge their bets.

3. If there's demand and it's working, why are there cries for an overhaul? Think that might be too rosy of an opinion on the state of drug pushing RP.

And mistrust is your problem, because once upon the time you got robbed once because you didn't want to buy drugs. Pushing drugs by kilos isn't hard, there's always a faction who will buy it, a person who isn't a supplier, huge quantities are sold easily. The issue is that rarely anyone is buying drugs per gram, two, five, ten, because, civilians aren't buying it at all, because, as I said, once upon the time they got robbed one time. I'm sure as hell that someone from Tongan gang won't go to Hoovers to buy 5 grams of cocaine, they have it in their own faction. You are causing mistrust, not the other side, that's why I told you, take the first step, not everyone is the same.

There are two ends of the drug circle, supply and demand.

You can't force or control what players want to buy drugs, meaning, the only other part of the balance that is controllable is the supply factor.

There is only ever not enough demand for drugs if the supply is too high - in which case, the supply should be lowered alot.

On the topic of supply, how do you guys take control of supply? Is it controlled OOC via IFM deciding who gets to be a supplier or do you get to make IC actions that seize control of the production for your faction or influence the supplies to supply to you rather than a rival gang etc?

As for civilians not taking drugs - I'm not sure about that. There aren't many civilians I know who don't take some level of drugs IG, so I'm not sure the claim civvies don't use drugs is very true btw.

Edited by Alyssa McCarthy
1 minute ago, .Pluto. said:

And mistrust is your problem, because once upon the time you got robbed once because you didn't want to buy drugs.

25 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

It's a common enough problem to cause mistrust. All it takes is organized illegal RPers being flippantly dismissive of the concern - case in point. [...] The issue is that rarely anyone is buying drugs per gram, two, five, ten, because, civilians aren't buying it at all, because, as I said, once upon the time they got robbed one time.

"You don't want to buy my product, clearly this is a problem with you and not with me."

Sure, the problem is with people who don't want to wade through the sea of filth to find the diamond that may or may not be there.

Whatever you say, dude. Let's see how that works out for you.

4 hours ago, TomRom97 said:

The poverty argument makes a lot of sense, but you gotta realise it actually costs a lot of money to illegal rp. Imagine starting with just 50-100k and right off the bat you gotta spend 40 of that on a pistol. There are more important systemic problems as to how the economy  works especially in illegal rp, and the drug and gun market are two of those. Illegal rpers are playing at a loss just to be able to portray what they want to portray.

Well I would say the price of guns and drugs will drop as well as the overall income of the players will drop. And even if it doesn't, then make it happen by placing max buy prices through script. There are so many more solutions we all can imagine, but the people responsible just need to start thinking about them.

Honestly on the drug subject, dealers REALLY don't help themselves. 

I've been approached 3 times this week, maybe 4? By people I've never met who've just bluntly asked "Wanna buy some drugs?" Sure if you're working your corner, or selling to friends, other members of your gang if you're tied to one, or on your block I can totally get behind that. But when someone on a pushbike rides up to me while I'm stood by the side of a gov building smoking, talking to a Cop or Sheriff, right next to a CCTV camera that's pointing at me or BOTH and goes "Wanna buy?" With nothing else to set themselves up, I'm gonna say no. 

This isn't a one time thing either, it's been every dealers attempt, and it's always gone the same way.

"Wanna buy?" "No thanks."

"Why? You a nerd, do you not do drugs?" "No, but you're asking me right under a camera and next to a cop?"

"The fuck does that matter, snitch? I'm gonna fucking get you." 

Of course I'm using this as an example and I've DEFINITELY seen it goes both ways. In my opinion the general, scathing problem is that for quite a majority there is a disconnect between how 'Illegal' and 'Legal' characters try to interact with one another, but instead of coming to a compromise for the sake of fun RP, we just dig out heels in and shit talk the other side. 

16 minutes ago, Gambler said:

Well I would say the price of guns and drugs will drop as well as the overall income of the players will drop.

I don't think they will, and the reason that is, is because everyone illegal rp'ing on this server drules over the idea of purchasing an illegal firearm. People get depsperate simply because they're rare and are very much a commodity. There will always be buyers for them. The only way to combat this is by adding more guns, not to many, but just enough to influence the market.

1 minute ago, Edelweiss206 said:

I've been approached 3 times this week, maybe 4? By people I've never met who've just bluntly asked "Wanna buy some drugs?"

This is a result of how fucked up the drug market is. Obviously the people that have done this may not be the best rp'ers, but it goes to show how desparate people are getting to moving their product. Selling drugs, and especially for young gang members isn't profitable, and some may find it difficult. It makes sense that some people are approaching you like this when nobody actually buys drugs. There's like three people on the server who rp junkies, and systematically buy drugs, and whenever I see them it looks like the second coming of jesus, who is there to get rid of my drugs. 

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, Gambler said:

Well I would say the price of guns and drugs will drop as well as the overall income of the players will drop

Then what's the point? If the player income drops as much as the gun prices do, then the guns would still be really expensive to the avarage player, just instaid of costing 40k (1/5th of the 200k) they would cost 10k (still the 1/5th of the 50k starting paycheck).The point is that guns should be easier for a player to afford.

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

On the topic of supply, how do you guys take control of supply? Is it controlled OOC via IFM deciding who gets to be a supplier or do you get to make IC actions that seize control of the production for your faction or influence the supplies to supply to you rather than a rival gang etc?

You make a supplier application detailing your plan, background, etc. Once it's accepted IFM will basically use alts that fit the story in your application to deliver the items to San Andreas. After that it's entirely on you and your faction.

4 minutes ago, TomRom97 said:

The only way to combat this is by adding more guns, not to many, but just enough to influence the market.

I honestly think some changes should be made to PF guns. Not saying criminals should be able to apply for them, but I think increasing the amount of PF guns that can be purchased each month might help increase their circulation. 

1 minute ago, Henning said:

I honestly think some changes should be made to PF guns. Not saying criminals should be able to apply for them, but I think increasing the amount of PF guns that can be purchased each month might help increase their circulation. 

May sound controversial, but I think you should be able to buy a PF license regardless on if you are affiliated or not. What should matter is if you got a criminal record and all the other prerequisites on the PF application. You use that gun for a crime and you're caught? Jail time and your PF get's revoked. 

• Upvote 2
  • Wuhtah locked this topic