To snitch or not to snitch?

Olivia

1 hour ago, NickyW said:

Ya'll are letting your backgrounds show a little lmao

People get shot and killed over nothing in the US all the time dude. You get shot and killed for posting the wrong shit on Instagram. People get killed for rear-ending someone or flipping them off in traffic.

DM rules actually /restrict/ a lot of situations that would get you killed in real life. Ya'll should count yourselves lucky tbh.

OT: Civilians aren't snitches unless they're actively working with the police. Calling 911 isn't snitching unless you know the offender.

Statistics wise, USA has 392.5 million people living there.
An average between all sources puts ~110 people dying from gun related incidents per day, out of which only 39 are murdered (rest are suicide).
An average between all sources puts ~210 people injured daily, from gun related incidents, out of which less than half (98) are intentional attacks.
If my math is correct, that means, that on a daily basis, one in 10 million are murdered each day in USA, while one in 4 million are injured each day in gun related attack.
Now, you can reason that this is for whole of USA which isn't jungle all along, however, I went ahead and grabbed statistics off most violet city, which seems to be St. Louis (who would've guessed?) with it's annual rate of 66 murders per 100,000.

Now, taking into account that Los Santos has approx population of ~10000 people (number of unique characters that play every day. playerCounter is down so I can't get realistic statistics), that would put average number of murdered people in city of this population to be at... 0.001 people per day, murdered, or 0.0025 people per day, injured.

Clearly you can see how absolutely stupid the whole argument of ‚‚people are killed for less'' is. USA is not Brazil (I'm pretty sure that even favelas are more safe), heck, even movie The Purge is more safe than Los Santos, by wide margin.
You could argue that sure, server has much higher rate of criminals to civilians compared to real life, but at the same time, around half of the murders and gun related assaults are committed by ‚‚legals'', usually in crimes of passion or similar.

In the end America isn't this hellscape where human life is worth less than the clothes person is wearing.

Edited by Wuhtah
Edited unneeded info out.
  • Upvote 1

First and foremost, I hate when people dismiss "But X happens IRL" arguments purely because it doesn't always apply on GTA W. Things that happen IRL are still valid samples and proof for behaviors within a game that is supposed to replicate real life that contains humans interacting with one another.

Now that this is out of the way, I can take an IRL example anyways for my point.

In real-life, it's different. In a rough neighborhood, you have a lot and a lot (thousands!) of actual, living and breathing people from all different kinds of backgrounds in almost every house/apartment blocks that are not necessarily supporting or condoning the gangs performing those actions, they're more or less likely to snitch. It's almost impossible for a shooting to go unnoticed and unreported. When Mary, 84 years old, calls the police on some kids from the safety of her house because they're breaking into some car to steal a radio, it doesn't end in the kids trying to break into Mary's house to try and kill her for snitching - They have a wider sample of people who COULD have snitched in that area, and the consequences they face if they get arrested aren't worth taking a life over, especially if it's the wrong person. They'll probably learn to not break and enter into cars in that area and become more sneaky because they know people around there snitch. It's simple.

In GTA W, it's different. The population in those areas is much, much smaller, even then, rough neighborhoods are almost always entirely composed of said gangs and not much else. Locals get practically chased out of these neighborhoods if they do not engage or support gang activity. If a gang gets to know where you live and finds out that you've snitched on them? Well fuck, you're in for a rough ride unless you move the hell out of there and fast, because they're coming for you in one way or another. They know it's you. They do not want snitches and they have the power and resources to maintain control over the area, and you're just an snitching obstacle to them. Killing you means potentially stopping the snitching because, it's most likely just you.

There are variations in both cases, and what I say isn't fact, but if you're a local in the hood on GTA W and you call the cops, chances are big that they'll either eventually find out, or assume. Who else can it be if they saw no one else around but you?

Edited by Mistery14
Just now, .George said:

Thank you for pointing out most people aren't here to roleplay but to play Crazy Bob's Cops and Robbers.

People are here to have fun by roleplaying. They have fun by finding a balance between a game and realistic setting. They are not here to live your weird second-life fantasies by living in a perfect environment where no one does any crime but sits on a video game to work as a cashier for 8 more OOC hours after they just got off their real life job. Most people can barely find an hour a day to have fun on this game and they sure as hell don't want to spend it by replicating real life to the dot. This server will never be 1:1 with real life as the setting is too dynamic. And it should never become 1:1. Let me see you have fun on a video-game where you have to log in every day to roleplay sleeping, eating, shitting and working 8-hour shifts in a boring job EVERY single day. 

• Upvote 3

It ain't really to snitch or not snitch, police work on this server is narrowed to if they catch you when committing a crime or not, if they dont catch you then you good, i know people that RP normally on the streets with warrants for murdering a officer, i reality if you go on the streets of LA and fire off one bullet they gonna catch you in 30 minutes and sentence you for 5 life sentences, If police actually did some solid police work and OOCly ask help from players and admins maybe the would be feared on the streets, like 90% of time we commit crime around 100 witnesses and at least 10 cameras but none of the cops really take the time to PM us or even admin and actually try to solve the crime, but I guess they'd rather have 40 car chasedown after a rental car and arrest a dude because he had 20 grams of weed

Edited by verall
  • Upvote 3

It’s ironic how some criminal RP’ers use real life examples of violence and the criminal life to justify their actions in-game, but when a civilian uses the same justification for calling the police, which is a normal real life response, it’s “this isn’t real life, deal with it”. 

Funny how that works.

Edited by Brofessor
  • Applaud 1

Just to point something out really quick. I'll be honest in saying I've been known to get back at people who call the cops. However, where I draw the line personally is the difference between discretely calling the cops and pulling out your phone directly in front of me and pulling a Karen. If you see a crime happen and your first instinct is to draw your phone and call the cops directly in front of the person who did it, you deserve exactly what's coming to you. A civ doing their duty is nothing less than normal, I don't consider that snitching at all if you're not part of that life. 

To press it even harder. Ffs, don't call them in front of me and expect me to just sit there and watch while you do it. 

Edited by MrUntouchable215
  • Upvote 5
4 minutes ago, MrUntouchable215 said:

Just to point something out really quick. I'll be honest in saying I've been known to get back at people who call the cops. However, where I draw the line personally is the difference between discretely calling the cops and pulling out your phone directly in front of me and pulling a Karen. If you see a crime happen and your first instinct is to draw your phone and call the cops directly in front of the person who did it, you deserve exactly what's coming to you. A civ doing their duty is nothing less than normal, I don't consider that snitching at all if you're not part of that life. 

To press it even harder. Ffs, don't call them in front of me and expect me to just sit there and watch while you do it. 

I'm a legal rper but I have always pushed this to others I know IC, you see something? You call for Police away from the scene, if you do it in front of those people you're just asking for something bad to happen. Civillians don't follow the same 'rules' due to not being in the criminal life, especially for those who work for Government departments where not reporting crime actually requires corruption perms. However that doesn't mean common sense shouldn't apply, you report it when it's safe.

I've had people witness murders and those who did it are still in the area, therefore calling police would just escalate things further, so instead they take themselves away from the area and then call.

At least that way it's being smart instead of whipping your phone out and yelling 'Yes they are over here right now RIGHT in front of me', then get gunned down and be like ?????.

• UTOPIA locked this topic