To snitch or not to snitch?

Olivia

Hey everyone! 👋

I wanted to create a dedicated thread outside of the “What are some examples of unrealistic escalations that you've seen on the server” one. The example I raised was about civilian characters being declared “snitches.” Here was my original post/opinion:

Any time a criminal character declares a citizen a "snitch" for doing what civilians do: call the police when bad things happen. That label is potentially  a death sentence.

Civilians do not follow the same street code that criminals do. It's unrealistic to hold them to standards they would typically have no idea about. Criminals should have heightened fear of drawing more heat from the cops for targeting innocent civilians.

Declaring a civilian a "snitch" and then harassing/beating then up/murdering them would instill fear in civilians to not report crime. That would essentially be a direct attack on the police since civilian reporting is a huge source of intel. No criminal would realistically want that kind of attention. The risk significantly outweighs any perceived reward.

I’ve observed character get called “snitches” for simply calling the police when trying to protect their own business.

There was some great feedback from both sides and it made me think a bit more on the subject. One of the more compelling arguments was that civilians on certain gang turf might know better. For my character, being raised in Vespucci and seeing people so easily tagged with this label has instilled fear to keep her mouth shut no matter what. I'm curious to see how other characters handle this.

One concern brought up by participants is when people people are declared snitches for witnessing things downtown and calling the police. Another is when gang characters chase alleged snitches all over the map trying to find and hunt them down. I would extend that to character defending their business by calling the police as well. My personal opinion is that civilians should have a reasonable degree of protection from being hunted down for doing what civilians do when they see bad things happen in public: call the cops.

I'd like to hear opinions from both sides and for it to be more of an open discussion than a full blown angry GRR debate 😅.

Regardless of what comes out of it, maybe we'll all learn something from each other and improve our RP from it!

Some potential questions for the group:

1. Can a civilian be considered a "snitch?" If so, when?
  2. Does calling fire / ambulance also fall into this territory?
  3. Do you think gangs targeting these people would bring more "heat" from the police?

Thank you all!

Edited by oliviarav3n
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1
  • Olivia changed the title to To snitch or not to snitch?
1 minute ago, KinnyWynny said:

the vast majority of people wont risk a ck to snitch on a character that will most likely just namechange in custody to avoid charges

I'd want to drill into this a bit more. Very real, hypothetical situation: do you think it's reasonable for a business owner to call the police on a gang member causing problems in their business and be declared a "snitch?" If they're declared a "snitch" in that scenario, should they be eligible for a CK?

• Thanks 1

I personally think it’s ridiculous to be hunted down for doing what would come natural to most law-abiding citizens, which is calling the police. I understand we’re all here for RP and to have a certain degree of separation from the real world, but the amount of reports I’ve seen for people getting killed over calling the police is ridiculous. Every day citizens aren’t snitching to turn in a gang member, they’re just calling because that’s the normal thing to do in a dangerous situation. 

Edited by Brofessor
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applaud 1

A civilian calling the police when witnessing a crime is not a snitch. That's a stupid criminal committing crime in front of unknown witnesses. I don't agree with the mentality that anyone who calls the police should be labelled a snitch. 

This is the Urban Dictionary definition and I think it hits the nail on the head. 

"In the criminal sense a snitch will provide information to the police or feds in order to obtain lenient treatment for themselves and provide information over an extended period of time in return for money or for police to overlook their own criminal activities. Quite often someone will become an informant following their arrest."

The victim of a crime is not a snitch, they are a victim. NOW. If that shop owner is also a criminal type, and they are taking out competition or using the police to solve a problem. They would be a snitch. But an ordinary civilian? No. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Honestly? People just use the term "snitch" as a way to just escalate things and give a reason for themselves to go trigger-happy.

Citizens or not, it doesn't matter. I've been called a snitch as an on-duty lifeguard for requesting a rescue ambulance unit to transport a patient because a group were pressing us and kept interrupting rofl.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

My mentality is that when you see some random drug dealing and you call the cops to come over... that's snitching
But calling the cops because people are robbing, stomping or murdering someone etc etc (Serious stuff and the risk of someone dying) I wouldn't say that's really snitching, I mean it is but... these are moments a normal civilian will always call the cops and or more. When you as an law obeying citizen see someone doing some pitty stuff like dealing a bit of drugs you just kind of move on and don't bother.

I think criminal roleplayers should make sure to do these serious crimes a bit more discreetly without everyone and their dad to be able to see the full happening of it so you wouldn't really have random civilians to witness such serious things they realistically have to call the cops on.

• Thanks 1

I once had a character labelled a snitch and beaten within an inch of her life for discussing a crime with a cop... The crime was committed in front of the cop. People just like to be violent on the server for the smallest reasons because it inflates the ego. It's dumb. Anything for a W. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applaud 3
  • UTOPIA locked this topic