Roe V Wade in the context of GTA:W.

Kari

Roe V Wade in the context of GTA:W.  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The ban of the Pandemic made sense because there were examples on other servers of people straight up rping trying to give people Covid to be edgy weirdos. 

It should be allowed to be mentioned on an in-character basis. We have to stop pretending like these topics don't exist however and I can not stress this enough, people should not let their OOC political agendas affect their in-character behavior. Especially if you roleplay as a State/Local Law Maker. 

If you want escapism, roleplaying on a GTA server meant to be a somewhat believable simulation of real life is a TERRIBLE idea. On an OOC basis, I hate that white power groups and neo-nazis roam free on the server where some of these people are also just blatantly racist on an OOC basis in secret but these groups exist and we just deal with it. 

At some point people have to wonder where do we really draw the line. There are lot of people's characters who are completely shaped the way they are due to the state of America AND the state of Los Santos on an IC basis. This is how it should be. 

I know it's a very unpopular thing to say but if you're overly-sensitive about something, just like in real life, it is VERY easy to change the subject. 

• Upvote 4
2 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

I think people are more pissed this is a major senate discussion. Why? We have literally a thousand more ingame relevant issues. But people to choose to discuss this of all things?

You’re right, a blanket discussion ban would be bad precedent, but this is actively effecting ic politics, and it shouldn’t when priorities are skewed. 

We’re a West Coast State, what the hell are we doing? If you want to make up an issue that’s majorly relevant, start writing bills about our water crisis, OR GUN ISSUES. Which actually effect ic events way more and don’t piss as many people off.

It's a major Senate discussion because it's a major topic in the American political discourse. Once that legislation was introduced, it was bound to become a hot button issue (like the death penalty abolition legislation introduced by the Democrats). Could senators be doing more on in-game relevant issues? Sure. It would also be nice to see people interact with their senators to demand specific changes to laws (grassroots or during the election season) that impact their communities or businesses.

We are supposed to be a West Coast State, yes. But to some extent we need to suspend our disbelief since we have actual elections. Players had a choice and the majority decided to vote for the Republican Party which has inherent conservative legislative priorities. If people have an issue with the priorities of the Republican Party, they should voice those concerns in-character or mobilize to vote them out of office. Not for nothing, but from what I've seen, the Republicans don't even have the votes to pass the legislation you mentioned since it alienated political moderates in the Republican wing (e.g. Senator Benson).

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Zani said:

Allow me to respond to you with a quote from what I previously said. I also urge you to read the entire message that I put forth.

Are we not a political faction? Has it not thus far been allowed for said reason?

The Senate has brought important bills forward throughout its course. All I said was, this brought an actual IC involvement and interest in politics. I fail to see how I am claiming that this was the ONLY way I can bring roleplay to the faction?

Your claims have no basis. This is (in part) a lawmaking faction. Every faction contributes in their own way for the attempt to roleplay a governed society with law and order. So for us not to discuss things as I quote from you "criminal law reform or any sort of drug reform" is not the mindset we should be having.

Yeah but none of your politics are relevant to the server and can best be described as political dick moves.

I mean pushing for a trigger ban as millions of American women just lost their right to medical privacy is kind of y’know, a dick move. And barely effects the server. And also considering the responses of some of your senators to this thread, I have a hard time trusting them with handling this issue and not seeing utterly out of touch.

You can be a political faction, just be a relevant one instead of pissing a large section of the playerbase off. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to stress that escapism doesn't mean walking to a patch of flowers, for me.

I'm not a cop irl. I'm a cop in this videogame. I fight crime, that's pretty pog. 

Escapism is subjective. Some things I want to escape from, others I can sweep under the rug as a narrative element. I think 90% of the people arguing for abortion or- even against it in this thread have never roleplayed the topic. And probably never will. So I'm simply arguing that the reward is allowing some very niche government rp to exist (as much as I love my SAGOV people, it is niche, and often interest is garnered in-house), and the risk is the discomfort of the female american playerbase, by majority. 

I simply don't see how one is worth the other. The consistent insistence that people can 'just leave' is also- an argument used everywhere all the time that basically boils down to people feeling unable to ask for change because the option is open to just leave. 

Some of us like certain things here, but don't like others. And that's okay! Pros and cons are normal. We are simply asking to not have another con. 

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Eriks said:

It's a major Senate discussion because it's a major topic in the American political discourse. Once that legislation was introduced, it was bound to become a hot button issue (like the death penalty abolition legislation introduced by the Democrats). Could senators be doing more on in-game relevant issues? Sure. It would also be nice to see people interact with their senators to demand specific changes to laws (grassroots or during the election season) that impact their communities or businesses.

We are supposed to be a West Coast State, yes. But to some extent we need to suspend our disbelief since we have actual elections. Players had a choice and the majority decided to vote for the Republican Party which has inherent conservative legislative priorities. If people have an issue with the priorities of the Republican Party, they should voice those concerns in-character or mobilize to vote them out of office. Not for nothing, but from what I've seen, the Republicans don't even have the votes to pass the legislation you mentioned since it alienated political moderates in the Republican wing (e.g. Senator Benson).

Frankly people don’t interact with their senators, because unlike city or county councilors, there is a major disconnect from the general population and was always going to be an issue for a State Senate. Social media isn’t as big of a deal. And most of your bills effect maybe two percent of the playerbase.

I’m sorry but you guys chose to focus on a major abortion bill… instead of literally anything else. No one wanted this, no one.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

I mean pushing for a trigger ban as millions of American women just lost their right to medical privacy is kind of y’know, a dick move. And barely effects the server. And also considering the responses of some of your senators to this thread, I have a hard time trusting them with handling this issue and not seeing utterly out of touch.

Please tell me what a trigger ban would do on a video game where abortion doesn't exist?  They are RPing republicans, sounds like pretty spot on portrayal to me. Just because your personal political beliefs don't agree doesn't mean you have the right to OOCly attack people. If you want "progressive" bills passed maybe you should join the senate?

• Upvote 1

Stay on topic - this is about if you want agree/disagree about Roe v Wade talked about IC or not. 

I advise you to go to DMs to talk about senate things if this is something that you guys want to talk about - or make a different forum thread on it.

Edited by Wuhtah
3 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

Yeah but none of your politics are relevant to the server and can best be described as political dick moves.

You can be a political faction, just be a relevant one instead of pissing a large section of the playerbase off. 

Well, you clearly have not been following the Senate then. You can go through the Senate archive, which I believe is accessible to all, and see just all the bills that have been proposed. Or better yet, State laws that are enacted. You'll see very relevant laws there, so please stop this nonsense faction bashing because it has no grounds. And lastly, you're heavily leaning into getting political, so please refrain from that and remain ON TOPIC as to whether or not this should be involved in our IC continuity. Not everyone shares the same opinion as you. That's a general statement and not a reflection of my beliefs.

• Applaud 1
6 minutes ago, Jedai said:

[...] people should not let their OOC political agendas affect their in-character behavior. 

[...] where some of these people are also just blatantly racist on an OOC basis in secret but these groups exist and we just deal with it. 

Shouldn't have to just deal with it and having to have that approach with everything that's motivated by people's OOC agendas to do things that'll cause others distress ain't the way the server should be at all. Letting people get away with it because some guy (not you) cries "but muh roleplay will be stifled" as their excuse to chase headlines or throw out a slur ICly because they know they can't get their ass beat like they would in real life is the stupidest of moves.

The voiding of IRL issues is getting annoying. I don't even understand why we voided the Ukraine war. There's probably a 90% consensus on that subject.

That being said, people clearly aren't mature enough to handle polarizing topics and will likely inject their passionate OOC views into their RP.

Void it, not because it's an uncomfortable subject, but to spare us the retarded drivel of what is essentially OOC politics.

• Upvote 3
  • Shanks locked this topic