Roe V Wade in the context of GTA:W.

Kari

Roe V Wade in the context of GTA:W.  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't think it would be a huge issue to simply mention Roe v. Wade IC, though I'm confused sometimes by the decisions on what is and isn't allowed as part of continuity and IC subject matter by the admins. To be clear, I voted it shouldn't be allowed.

On the other hand, having the senate turn it into an actual, active political topic in-game rubs me the wrong way. If nothing else because it's a constant reminder of how terrible politics on the server are.

Can't wait for grimy illegal abortion complications RP.

Edited by peasoup
  • Applaud 1

If we're going to speak about 'escapism', it should be properly done on the server. Just like how we don't talk about Covid, what's happening in Ukraine and other stuff that were previously deemed to be not roleplayed, it should be done with Roe v. Wade case as well. People come and play here to 'escape' the shit that happens irl, they shouldn't be seeing these stuff on a roleplay  server that they play on to escape what's happening irl and chill out. 

Edited by Mescalero
  • Upvote 1

It shouldn’t be discussed ig imo. While it’s not something that’s likely to avenue into daily roleplay encounters there’s a population of players I don’t trust with keeping the interaction to a reasonable level. Aside from this, it’s a roleplay sever and a video game. If you didn’t expect people to desire escapism from the frustrations and turmoil of real life woes then you’re in the wrong place, just give people their peace and blacklist it from IC acknowledgement. 

The problem with 'escapism' is that it heavily depends on a person to person basis. If someone is constantly bullied in real life and they try to escape their problems by coming on here, does that give them a right to call for a ban on ic bullying? No. They can simply walk away from people who bully them in game. 

That being said. In my 4+ years on this server I've heard the word 'abortion' maybe once or twice mentioned in character. I wouldn't have a problem if the mentioned topic was banned to be used ic as it won't really ruin anyone's roleplay if they couldn't talk about it.

7 minutes ago, Mescalero said:

People come and play here to 'escape' the shit that happens irl, they shouldn't be seeing these stuff on a roleplay  server that they play on to escape what's happening irl and chill out. 

So shall we ban adultery and love triangles and people cheating? Those have detrimental impacts on peoples lives yet the server is rife with that kind of thing. You start going down a slippery slope once you start cherry picking what we can and can't RP and talk about or say and so on.

If peoples mental health is so fragile where seeing this mentioned could be upsetting, one starts to wonder is this /really/ the best game for them to play? 

Edited by Late
  • Upvote 1

This type of utilitarianism isn't what's needed. At this rate we're going to Pidgeon hole ourselves into smaller, less nuanced characters that turn into caricatures of themselves. What's the point in censoring current events that have no physical impact on any of the characters other than to prevent triggering? COVID had physical limitations for the world, it made some sense to remove this from the GTA:W cannon, but Roe Vs Wade does not. It's going to lead to discussions in character, for maybe a week at most. I'd bet Will Smith vs Chris Rock has a longer impact in GTA:W than Roe Vs Wade. 

Why stop with removing Roe Vs Wade? There's plenty of other major issues that are happening/happened that I'd say are real problems to escape from.

Poverty in the context of GTA:W.
I'm poor in real life. I don't know how to make money in GTAW either, but I'd like to escape poverty. Can I be the top 1% on the server?

The Genocides in the context of GTA:W.
We learn this in school, I play to escape school and the evils of history. Or maybe I live in Rwanda. Let's never mention it please.

Uyghurs in China in the context of GTA:W.

This is a current event that was given major spotlight earlier this year. With the growing amount of East Asian factions, I'd hate to see this be brought up IC to belittle a character. 

Censorship on roleplay will just lead to more robothugs and robocops. 

Edit: We should also be able to talk about the Ukraine war since there's no ban on the other 10+ wars happening in the world. 

Edited by Line
Added last line.
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Late said:

So shall we ban adultery and love triangles and people cheating? Those have detrimental impacts on peoples lives yet the server is rife with that kind of thing. You start going down a slippery slope once you start cherry picking what we can and can't RP and talk about or say and so on.

If peoples mental health is so fragile where seeing this mentioned could be upsetting, one starts to wonder is this /really/ the best game for them to play? 

If this is the case then why do we ban any subjects?

Then why can't people talk about what's happening in Ukraine? Going on with what you're saying people shouldn't be mentally fragile and cope with it. 

Just now, Zach.. said:

If this is the case then why do we ban any subjects?

I didn't agree with not being allowed to talk about the invasion of Ukraine for the record.

As for Covid, RPing covid would have hindered RP as we wouldn't have been allowed out of our houses ICly so that made sense. 

• Applaud 1

So! A topic I've seen a lot.

Escapism is subjective. (Hence the poll!) It seems a bit useless to keep circling around on that.

You may not like that people don't vibe with rping the ukranian conflict! That's okay. However, there are a group of people who are either close to or living in that tragedy. 

It's a very similar thing here. Obviously, american women are not being subject to genocide, but just because escapism is subjective doesn't mean we can't have compassion for those who /do/ wish to escape from it.

I believe my overall point is the risk vs reward.

Who benefits from this? Who suffers? I think you will find that to many involving themselves in this roleplay, abortion is not a massive part of their characters, and so losing it as a topic may not be detrimental. For some of us? It can make the mood sour to have these topics discussed in RP. I think we're bridging the gap between these topics demotivating people to play, and us literally bawling because we hear 'roe v wade'.

The reality? it's spooky. I don't exactly gain motivation hearing of these things. The same way I didn't when sexual harassment was a thing and people would traumadump that IC. 

I don't think we need to call people 'fragile' for being a little scared. We aren't collapsing in swaths and sobbing, although that's a valid emotion. Compassion. We're a community. It's important to remember that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Shanks locked this topic