CCW Good Cause Justification

Cypher99

7 hours ago, Power said:

No it actually isn't hard. LA is still in America. Its actually been made easier with a recent supreme court decision basically stating a lot of the laws in cities like NYC and LA around concealed carry are unconstitutional look up the Bruen decision.  

So can we be real here. People like to pick and chose when they want to apply realism. The only reason this is an issue is because the idea of people getting access to conceal carry fairly easily offends their European sensibilities. 

I mean it's just my opinion. It's been like this for years even on SAMP RP servers. 

Just my five cents, I don't mind at all. Regarding post above saying IC issue, yeah it's an IC issue. Yet ppl tend to cry in /b losing a gun they probably should of stashed at their home to begin with.

I have a faction member who lives in Europe, Austria. He has a concealed firearm permit in real life, he told me it was much MUCH easier to get the permit in real life compared to the hoops you have to jump through on GTA:W and the way the exams are worded and designed not to test knowledge but rather "iq" or whatever. Bare in mind this is a European country with much stricter gun laws than America. People advocating  and maintaining these ridiculous processes is the reason why we have to go through applications for nearly everything on this server. Lots of members of the fun gestapo around here.

Edited by Martyn
  • Upvote 1

In my opinion, the gun laws/system on world are completely unrealistic and are clearly geared towards keeping guns in the hands of a few people who are deemed able to "handle" such a responsibility. In a phrase, guns are gatekept. If you think that gatekeeping is a good thing, well you're one of the few who actually benefits from this system. Everyone else has to settle with switchblades and brass knuckles made from car bumpers, or even worse, hammers from the hardware store. You don't promote good roleplay by having everyone disarmed, you kill it. I get the argument that if guns are made /too/ easy to get, trolls could become a problem, but you're handicapping the few at the expense of the many when you think this way. Like the person who started this thread said, just ban people who break the rules blatantly with firearms. It's one of the most long running issues on world that guns are way too hard to get your hands on unless you rob a legal roleplayer, are a legal roleplayer, or have contact with/are a supplier. I just don't get why we have such stringent gun laws on a video game, much less a video game based on the United States. There's literally no good reason to have them. Quit gatekeeping guns guys, it doesn't make your dick bigger to have 5000 pistol ammo and twenty glocks in your pinv. Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

• Upvote 3
7 hours ago, sherald said:

my good cause was determined to be not good enough by reviewers. it was easier to join a  LEO faction and get the LEO CCW instead LOL

You're actually encouraged to go straight for your LEO CCW when you join an LEO faction instead of getting a regular CCW.

@riconosey getting a PF and purchasing handguns is actually really easy and cheaper than an illegal firearm. You can also open carry in unincorporated areas of San Andreas with a PF license.

The CCW exam is harder to pass in-game than in real life which is ridiculous in my opinion. The fact that you can take 20 people who have a CCW issued to them IRL and maybe 2 of them will pass GTAW's CCW exam is beyond me. I personally believe that the requirement to show good cause should be removed since it is not a thing in real life anywhere in the United States anymore. And stop saying that this is a video game. You either want it to be realistic, or you don't. Don't say that this isn't California so you're not following the changes made but then in a different discussion you say you want to promote realism to strengthen roleplay quality. If it's a video game, remove the good cause requirement and make it easier for legal roleplayers to access these weapons. Anyway, good cause justification not nearly as bad of an issue as the exam itself. You could read through all of the FLD content, SHAFT Act and anything else relevant and still score a 14 or 15 out of 20. People are resorting to reaching out to former FLD or even active FLD members and basically begging and bribing them for answers. It is an issue that hurts roleplay and the only people that don't seem to understand that are the people who have a direct influence on implementing these policies or they are the ones who enforce them and are above these policies because they are LEOs. There are server rules and in-game consequences for abusing a legal firearm. Instead of gatekeeping, enforce the rules. You abuse your PF/CCW, you either get it revoked or you get banned if the abuse rises to the level of a server offense. I have never played on any GTA server that has had such strict policies and or such strong OOC influence on LEGAL firearms as much as this one. 

LFM needs to stop avoiding this issue and come up with a better way to do this. My take is that you should keep the good cause justification and change the exam. Even if you can finally show good cause, you still are very likely to fail the exam. And no, before a member of FLD says that this post is a result of my own experiences, it is not. It is a huge problem that is affecting at least 30% of the players on this server. 

Edited by jromjeksin
  • Applaud 3
17 hours ago, riconosey said:

I get the argument that if guns are made /too/ easy to get, trolls could become a problem

I don’t know chief. We now have EAC wizards flying around with semi-automatic RPGs blowing everyone up. I think a troll with a handgun is the least of our concern. 

Not sure why we still enforce the 'good cause' for CCW, when in the real world all of the 50 states have gone from "May Issue to Shall Issue" states. Especially after Bruen v. New York Rifle & Pistol Association https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/20-843_7j80.pdf it was determined in the SCOTUS Supreme Court that this is unconstitutional and goes against the 2nd Amendment for the right to bare arms. Not sure if Los Santos will be included as a fictional state that was impacted by Bruens case. But if you look at the LASD website / NYPD as an example (https://lasd.org/ccw/), they have to adjust their CCW application to remove the 'good cause' portion followed by Bruen v. NYRPA 

However, most states have discretion to increase their CCW fees to obtain a license. For example, in California it would cost you about $1,080 to obtain a CCW from beginning to end, and comes with a nice whopping 600$ renewal fee, to keep your CCW every 2 years. This is done so you don't have someone in poor low income areas getting easy access to a CCW and you'll think twice about paying for a firearm license. Since we're roleplaying a fictional city in California, make it according to GTA$ currency. So, 1,000$ will realistically be 100,000K$ for a license, with a 60K renewal fee plus all the hurtles to be competent with a firearm, i.e. go to a firearms course etc., not sure if someone would rather pay 100K for a license or buy a car with that.  

Edited by iFlyKid
  • Upvote 4