CCW Good Cause Justification

Cypher99

Maybe strictness doesn't match the real life, but the amount of people who want to own and use guns in game is nowhere similar to reality. Around 15-20% of Californians own firearm permit. Far less walk their gun around with or without concealed carry permit. Californians aren't generally fond of firearms.

Meanwhile like 120% of server's population wants to own and carry a weapon. I don't think making weapons even more easily available and present would add to realism, quite the contrary.

• Upvote 2
30 minutes ago, Late said:

I shouldn't have to convince an IRL teenanger in Europe why my American character, in America, in the most dangerous city in America needs to obtain a CCW for his protection.

As others have pointed out in California you do NOT need to give a reason why you want a CCW.

We need reform now! 

Whatever the debate lands on I could care less, but comments like this are very lol. Yes, in fact, you do need to give reason why you want a CCW. You're required per state law to provide good cause to one of the 53 county Sheriffs or the Chiefs of some of the larger PDs. California Codes Chap 5 Div 4, Pen 26150 (a), 26615(a), 26170(a), 26175(c), and also the entire 26202.

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, OceanWind said:

Whatever the debate lands on I could care less, but comments like this are very lol. Yes, in fact, you do need to give reason why you want a CCW. You're required per state law to provide good cause to one of the 53 county Sheriffs or the Chiefs of some of the larger PDs. California Codes Chap 5 Div 4, Pen 26150 (a), 26615(a), 26170(a), 26175(c), and also the entire 26202.

Oh no lmao i'm an idiot and was trying to reference Prism's post about duty to inform not good cause! I need another coffee, fix'd

43 minutes ago, OceanWind said:

Actually Legal Alert from June 24, 2022 states that Good Cause proof is no longer required for concealed carry permit.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Engelbert said:

Nearly everyone has a gun already, how could it hurt the economy more?

Thats what i'm saying too, it can't get much worse. Just curious why are we stuck in LS-RPs 2017 era when it comes to firearms licencing. It's basically a step back from realism. 

• Upvote 2

I think a citizen trying to acquire a firearm in Liberty City is going to have a much harder time then one trying to acquire one in Los Santos due to the crackdown on Ammu-Nation's by the mayor in the year of 2008. Now if this mayor went on with being elected another time and served a total of eight years, he would have been out of there by 2016/17. I'm going to say that the following elected official could have continued down the same righteous path as his predecessor as well as the former continuing to do his work or this could have changed and they went more lax, that's up to the imagination of the player.

8 hours ago, Late said:

And as others have pointed out in California you do NOT need to even inform the police that your'e carrying. 

You don't even need to do that in San Andreas either.

Edited by Jeroen
Los Santos => San Andreas.
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is the map for good cause requirements in the year of 2009:

mP3cgGp.png

Here is the good cause requirements of 2021:

4zVmMoJ.png

Over the course of twelve years, we seen that there was some drastic changes to about seventeen counties in the state of California. A few went from red to green and red to yellow. In 2009, if you were one of the lucky few located in the red counties, you were more then likely not going to be issued anything.

A lighter red I believe would fall in around someone important (high value target): small political figure(s), celebrity(s), district attorney(s), lawyer(s), et cetera.

Yellow would have to be something that puts you at a high risk: maybe a business owner transporting a x amount of cash to a bank and or an employee transferring a large amount of cash to a bank (i know you can just bank transfer, but for the sake of realism, let's just assume you travel to an actual bank to do deposits or transactions.); maybe you're a person who buys and flips homes and you have a lot of cash on hand to pay contractors or deposits on houses and or don't use banks.

Lighter green or recreational risks would be something around the likes of: going to the mountains / hiking, photography, exotic vehicle ownership, mountain biking. You have high value items, but you can't really hide them and or place them any where because you're out in public. An example could be:

Maybe you (your character) has a medical or physical disability, your profession is photography and you're hiking in one of the state parks or you're in a rural area where police response time is thirty minutes to an hour (if that.) "I'm a five foot by five inch (man or woman) weighing in at one hundred and forty pounds, I have a bad knee from a motorcycle accident which causes me to move at relateively slower speeds then the average person. My profession is photopgraphy and I carry a lot of high value items which make me an easy target in rural locations with a high police response time." You can bullshit them IRL, just make it believeable bullshit.

Your green is basically: "self-defense" and that's it. I'm personally in one of these counties. 

Now if we look to the world of GTA, Liberty City was one of the most strictest cities to acquire any guns. That's why the underground gun shops existed. In Los Santos, there were numerous gun shops around the city. I believe acquiring a gun license and or CCW in this city should be more strict (if you wanna follow the realism rules) but not impossible. I don't think it should be the same for the city of Los Santos, but it should be difficult and not just a simple, "cuz self defense", "davis gangsters are outside", "there are multiple masked men running around."

Let's say there are some sort of demographics that exist and someone went through the trouble of that: statistics and data showing crime in the greater city of Los Santos. Maybe you can base approval of a CCW if you live in one of these areas (though I feel like this has cons, what if you don't live in one of these area(s) and you travel there to your favorite bar?) Here is some statistics from the actual LAPD website:

https://www.crimemapping.com/map/ca/losangeles

Acquiring a CCW in Los Santos should fall under one of the three categories: light green, yellow, red. I also think secondary CCWs for law enforcement is dumb. As far as I know, only one type of CCW exists in California. Cops have to apply the same way everyone else does, but with less restrictions and are probably approved without issue based on their career.

• Upvote 1