Neutral Characters and the crime rate: What's the point?

ChromaticDeath

1 minute ago, Anders said:

I'm talking more generally, not just legal roleplayers. Circlejerking happens in every part of gtaw from admins, factions, groups, illegal, legal etc. People value OOC friendships more than IC stuff.

They roleplay stuff that makes sense for *them* and that is fun for *them*, not fun for *everyone*.

You know this happens.

it does happen but once again how is it relevant to this thread? i can agree on the ooc buddy buddy schemes because thats how gun and drug distribution is handled here. asset based roleplay is heavily encouraged by admins as many creative fraud/scam schemes end up being denied because there's no physical items to obtain from them. it's the admins who shaped the server this way.

Fairly clear what the consensus is on this thread, and I don’t think anybody will deny that the number of random robberies that occur (and the way in which a lot of them are performed) is beyond excessive. Worst of all in my eyes is that the method most of these robberies manifest in doesn’t offer the other side much of a way in the terms of being able to roleplay or develop from it. I’d rather see more coordinated muggings and that type of thing, one/two on one, over the typical four door robbery squad pulling up on everyone as I believe that it’s just all-around better portrayal for these things and it provides more opportunities for the victim side to roleplay during these interactions. Not to say that those types of robberies are impossible. They’re not, it’s just a lot less heard of at least from my own perspective.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, 99 said:

Was it you who suggested locking robberies behind factions? Honestly at this point I'd be willing to see if anything worked. It would encourage people to join factions. Might even encourage the formation of less gang related factions and more petty theft related factions if people don't want to have to join a gang to commit robberies. At least there will be some sort of official medium where they can be held accountable.

i haven't suggested that and i disagree with it. 

I see a few mentioning the IRL crime rate of Los Angeles and using it as justification for the crime rate in LS.

You're forgetting just one thing though! LA has a population of several tens of millions, while LS has a population of roughly 2,000. While yes, crime does happen in LA and it's really bad in recent years, it's the density and quality in LS that is the problem. You don't hear about random kidnappings out of Rodeo Drive for someone's phone to be taken. The issue here is quality and nothing is being done about it. Every time a thread like this is put up, people roll their eyes and go "this again?" which is a problem in of itself.

Admin punishments for intentional offenses and robbery-free or low-crime areas need to happen or this server will become nothing but cops and robbers within six months, mark my words

1 minute ago, ChromaticDeath said:

I see a few mentioning the IRL crime rate of Los Angeles and using it as justification for the crime rate in LS.

You're forgetting just one thing though! LA has a population of several tens of millions, while LS has a population of roughly 2,000. While yes, crime does happen in LA and it's really bad in recent years, it's the density and quality in LS that is the problem. You don't hear about random kidnappings out of Rodeo Drive for someone's phone to be taken. The issue here is quality and nothing is being done about it. Every time a thread like this is put up, people roll their eyes and go "this again?" which is a problem in of itself.

Admin punishments for intentional offenses and robbery-free or low-crime areas need to happen or this server will become nothing but cops and robbers within six months, mark my words

I'm going to murder a man for a 150 dollar script item.

1 minute ago, kaneki1king said:

OH GOD ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT ROBBERIES  

It's almost like it's a widespread problem that contributes to negative enjoyment for a substantial portion of the community, and despite near-constant complaining regarding the generally poor robberies that are portrayed by many, if not most of the robbers on this server, absolutely nothing has been done to enforce a higher standard.

I see people finally noticed, what I was saying like 6 months ago. Regardless there could be few solutions, but suprise suprise, we should look elsewhere for them.

First issue regarding countless robberies - Most lucrative commodity on the market = GUNS.

Second issue - The possiblity of people carrying large amounts of money = I just take a look at screenshots in report section and see, that really people are able to carry up to 5000$ on them. Like when did you have that much cash IRL last time? And third issue, is directly related to the two above. The amount of "Criminal" characters. You throw dice and use that number to count people, chances are least half of people you meet, will have either a criminal job on the side, or are full fledged criminals. Which naturally leads robbers to think, there is a high chance we catch some mobster lacking or some "posh" drug dealer. Yep chances to score someone with all three, drugs, gun and cash are high. And these are actually the reasons why there are so many robberies. Now onto robbers themselves. Some people log into the game, just to commit crime cause that is alpha&omega of their roleplay, some of these are even purely OOC greed driven, wanting to score high and carve their name into the walkway right beside their house.

And of course not every robber belongs to a gang. So conclusion, even gangsters and criminals have normal lives aside from scrapping, beefing, robbing others.

Some people just cba to roleplay anything beyond what they usually do in GTAO. And these people are the ones overshadowing the criminal roleplay with their approach.