Neutral Characters and the crime rate: What's the point?

ChromaticDeath

I agree with this thread, honestly. When I joined in March 2019, the server prided itself on high standards of RP. 130 players back then, was buggy, sync was awful but RP was just better.

Nowadays, it just feels different. I talk from experience, I try to RP a civilian with no connections to illegal RP, it just gets repetitive the same old black car gun in hand MASKED(sometimes (M) gang) pops out of nowhere with "RUN YOUR POCKETS CUH", and if you do not do /pay in 10 seconds or less you are stalling RP. And truth be told? 95% of the robberies I had were just robotic, monotonous, and just plain boring. No development to be taken from it.

There's still good robbery RP, to the dude who robbed a male character at Alta Street about 3 days ago, if you're reading this your RP was 10/10.

Rulebreaking seems, at times, to be treated very lenient, warnings for DMs, Powergame and Metagame. Davis Gangs, for reference I'm not wrapping it up in a single ball, there's quality RP being done in Davis, but some groups do seem to be more focused on the "get guns lets shoot up their block and get into a shootout with police", rinse and repeat, namechange and lets go again. As much as I hate to say it, these groups need to be more heavily moderated, it's better to have some moderation than none at all, some defense is better than none. As someone who RPs a Detective, I will admit I have little to no interest in responding to Davis calls, because 8/10 it's getting voided, the looting is just rampant, and the Roleplay coming out of Davis just seems of poor quality a lot of the times. This is not to say I haven't had positive experiences in Davis, I very much had, some people who RP in Davis are top notch roleplayers, but unfortunately they are a minority I'd say.

The crime rate is insane, and law enforcement has restrictions on what they can do OOCly, and tools to help combat such an insane crime rate are OOCly blocked by IFM, such as RICO act, among other things. This is becoming a cops and robbers server and I'll just say it, IFM is setting a dangerous precedent with the ruling in May, as well as lack of moderation of illegal groups. The fact LS has such a high crime rate is not realistic and blocking tools to help combat such issues, the leniency and the precedent that's being set is not helping the cause at all. However, the STAFF Team being too lenient I'd say is the lack of STAFF members. During peak hours, there's probably 1 Admin per 100 players, there's probably not enough admins to properly monitor these players.

I apologize if I'm coming off as too harsh but I'm just glad Chromatic brought up this thread, he hit the nail 100% and many community members are expressing the same concerns. If this doesn't say there's an issue, I do not know what does.

Edited by nelsondx
  • Applaud 1
6 minutes ago, books said:

i understand this is an issue for some people, but the realism complaint doesn't really make much sense to me? because yeah if a city was 90% populated by active criminals and law enforcement officers like los santos is then it would be realistic for there to be this much violence/crime

the truth is that if you're roleplaying a civilian you're already in a niche, if you roleplay a civilian who is a middle class person (isn't a model etc) you're literally in probably the smallest pool of people on the server. is it fair that you're the butt of every crime? yeah well you sort of chose that i guess. what do you expect? there's not really a whole lot of civilian roleplay on the server, there's about 3 civilian factions that aren't government aligned. the roleplay on the server clearly is orientated around gangs/ocgs vs leo, and that's fine because in and of itself its quite interesting. 90% of the factions/groups are illegal orientated and their entire roleplay requires 'victims', which you quite naturally are as your 20 year old college character

maybe this just is because i have been robbed once in 500/700 hours while only playing civilian characters, and in that case the character deserved it/was in an alleyway in the middle of davis so idc, but to me this doesn't seem like quite as big as a problem as some people make it out to be. if this was truly something people wanted to address, simply making an area a safezone would resolve it, but until then you'll just have to accept you're here to be the victim, that's the setting and that's literally your role

This is the most horrible take I have seen on this thread so far. "You exist to be a victim, maybe don't play a victim then." To what end exactly, when everyone stops playing so-called "victims"? Just because it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean that it does not happen and it isn't a serious problem. That's like saying gang crime doesn't exist IRL because in your personal experience you've never seen a drive-by.

The server used to be a lot more dynamic than Cops vs. Robbers and that is why this thread was made. A huge chunk of the community seems to agree.

Edited by ChromaticDeath
  • Upvote 1

Honestly bro, some of these bangers need to learn how to roleplay emotions and grief properly. You see 16 yr olds gang members that have slid the ops like 18 times this week racking up bodies and they don't even care they just walk normally around the place. It isin't realistic at all and these kids wouldn't just walk it off afterwards like nothing happened unless they are literally mentally deluded. Let LSPD and LSSD raid parties in the hoods and enforce gangs more strictly if you wanna talk about realism thats how its done in LA, and its prooven to have worked.

2 minutes ago, Bigg said:

Let LSPD and LSSD raid parties in the hoods and enforce gangs more strictly if you wanna talk about realism thats how its done in LA, and its prooven to have worked.

The SD is doing this following a faction killing eight deputies in one day. We do always need to keep in the back of head though what's realistic vs. what's good for the health of the community. Illegal factions generally have competent leadership that attempts to rein in more trigger happy or lacklustre criminal roleplayers, but more work can be done.

Also, it may be important to remember that not all people are merely cops robbers or neither. I alongside a lot of other cops chill out off duty and I've been robbed like twice off duty (and once on duty but that's for another topic...). Criminals aren't also roided up and ready to run your pockets at all times, the best characters I've seen are developed into have some civilian roleplay tied into their legal or illegal characters.

Just now, imi said:

The SD is doing this following a faction killing eight deputies in one day. We do always need to keep in the back of head though what's realistic vs. what's good for the health of the community. Illegal factions generally have competent leadership that attempts to rein in more trigger happy or lacklustre criminal roleplayers, but more work can be done.

Also, it may be important to remember that not all people are merely cops robbers or neither. I alongside a lot of other cops chill out off duty and I've been robbed like twice off duty (and once on duty but that's for another topic...). Criminals aren't also roided up and ready to run your pockets at all times, the best characters I've seen are developed into have some civilian roleplay tied into their legal or illegal characters.

These better developed characters unfortunately are outweighed by the many shit-post type characters that tend to keep getting away with it, kicked out of factions and then left to start their own unofficial group because the good factions didn't want them. I don't agree with your sentiment at all. I've seen far too many problems with my own two eyes and I play a lot.

1 minute ago, imi said:

Good to hear that the LSSD isint afraid to put in work when a faction tries to fuck with them. There are some good factions out there but in my experience most of them are the same and unoriginal with 90% of the "unofficial groups" not focusing on roleplay at all and just doing murders and shootings cause they have no responsability as an unofficial group and they can just make another one a weak later when they get bored. 

E2pqkJ7.png

It all boils down to one thing, and that's moderation. I'm sorry, but I only know a handful of illegal faction roleplayers that roleplay for the development in that scenario, and not for personal gain. It's sad to see that this server is a lot like one big asset-grab to get better guns, nicer houses and flash cars. That's not to say that legal faction roleplayers are good people either, there's always a harmful amount of NASCAR drivers with their tricked out, fully modded Japanese import just waiting to rip around some corners and crash into a fiery mess at the bottom of Banham Canyon.

Meanwhile, on the opposite spectrum, there's an overwhelming amount of minority-based characters (Hispanic, African American, Asian) that reside in South Central and play the game as if the apocalypse has dawned on the server. People strive for resources, weapons, drugs, ammunition like this is DayZ. Both mentalities need to stop, because they are eventually becoming a cancer on the server. (And they already are a cancer on the server). 

BOOM! There's a robber, masked up, armed infront of you and is heading towards you to do you harm. If you pull out a gun and kill the robber, you're branded a PF warrior with no concept of illegal roleplay. But if you decide to comply and roleplay it accordingly, you become a victim. There's no scenarios in legal roleplay where we're the ones with the upper hand besides if you're Law Enforcement. You have about four different choices for legal roleplay.

• You can either be in a government faction (LEO/LSFD/DMEC etc etc) where your sole purpose is to be a cog in a machine that centres around South Central. Usually a character with little roleplay outside your respective factions (And that's perfectly fine.)
  • A legal roleplayer that isn't exactly legal. One that might sell drugs, or do things that break the law that might be minor in comparison to other illegal factions. Those guys are pretty rare, but they do occur. 
  • A socialite character, one that's usually a student or a mechanic or whichever role you chose to pick that frequents clubs, drinks beer, enjoys themselves. These are the club owners, the mechanics, the bartenders, the students. The factionless characters of the server.
  • That one percent of legal roleplayer that's totally different with unique, beautiful concepts of characters that teem with development, post regularly on a character profile or with screenshots that the two groups before them strive to be, and are often jealous of their existence. 

Like a vulnerable flock of sheep; If you fit into the last two categories above, you will eventually become victim to crime. You are taught to roleplay properly, be an outstanding citizen that might smoke a little weed or might speed through red lights, but no matter what your character does, you are a victim.

There's always going to be wolves trying to eat you. That's where, the very first category I mentioned above, are the guardians. The sentinels, the legal faction roleplayers that bridge the gap and equalise the server.

One thing for sure needs to stop, and that's the mentality that just because we're roleplaying legal, does not mean we must live in fear and be shamed and treated like shit if we protect ourselves against illegal characters. If you kill a criminal who intends to do you harm, you're a PF warrior. If you opt to not fight back against a robbery, you're a pussy. There is NO happy medium.

Edited by Akali
formatting