The culture of reporting on this server

Goonbag

10 hours ago, Goonbag said:

Very heavy handed for someone with Winnie The Pooh in their pfp.

I don’t think stopping people from being able to appeal bans is a step in the right direction at all - being able to appeal a decision is kind of a cornerstone of democratic and judicial process.

Why not, though? It should be common sense that getting permanently banned is the last resort for repeat offenders who, time and time again, break server rules, are given chances after chances, punishments on top of punishments, and they still continue and damage the role-play of everyone else over the course of multiple weeks or months. Why would someone who fits this description be allowed to play on a heavy role-play server?

It has nothing to do with democracy or the judicial process

Edited by Mahitto
9 hours ago, L I C E said:

I'll be watching any and all public toilets like a hawk from now on. If you ain't rping in there and you're just AFK I'll see you in the report section. Additionally, if I don't see you doing /ame breathes. every second or so I'll also see you there. This is a heavy RP server...

Ah! FINALLY with someone who undertands what TRUE HEAVY RP really means! Thank you! 👍💯💪

1 hour ago, Свето said:

Because a lot of admins are incompetent, and rule 0 ensures they can permanently ban someone for a fart in space, the lack of proper punishment outlines in the admin handbook is also a major issue. If you think someone's roleplay is based of their admin record you're just objectively incorrect. 

As long as there is admin bias, as long as there is admin incompetence, there needs to be ban appeals. 

They aren't incompentent, though. Sure, mistakes can (and do) happen, but that doesn't make them incompetent, and it certainly doesn't make most of them that. In case of an error on the admin's behalf, you can always submit a staff report. If after it gets investigated it turns out that you didn't, in fact, break the rules or deserve a ban, the staff member will be dealt with and the punishment shall be reverted. In the vast majority of cases, though, that's not what happens.

If you looked through the ban appeals before they went private, 99% of them didn't reference an error on the admin's behalf, but rather players breaking rules, apologizing and promising to not do it again, doing it again, and back from square one.

Of course someone's contribution to the server is based on their admin record. If you've been around for a year and have a perfectly clean record, you're not an issue. If you've been around for a year and have 7 warnings, 8 admin jails and 2 bans, along with 20 forum reports, then you're a problem and you shouldn't play here. 

What is hard to understand about the wording "Permanent ban". This is not a real life trial where one's life is being doomed with 25 to life sentence. If someone racks up enough warnings for rulebreaks or does something so cringe and horrifying that deserves a permaban, then they should be permabanned. That's not a rocket science. Problem is that people tend to reconsider their decisions so often, that punishments here lose their meaning over time. The server is literally free to play, so staff is not stripping you of anything earned in real life, donations do not count, because they are donations. So they can ban you permanently, even strip you of your IG assets if they wanted. Everyone says I am sorry in the end only to avoid punishment, not because they mean it. So it doesn't matter whether someone is here for years or not, if they rack up enough points for permaban, it should stay that way. The rules exist for a reason and people are literally told to read them before joining, so excuses like I didn't know that, shouldn't count either.

Edited by Engelbert

I'd say nine out of ten times reporting someone is because of the end result, refunds and invalidation. Before going into a report people know that even punishment is a rare commodity and the ultimate goal is to have your items salvaged and a confrontation voided. Leniency and a lack of gun and drug circulation is one of the key reasons there is so many reports. If you go through the majority of the concluded reports you'll notice that penalizing is very thin on the ground so for that reason people don't report people because they're model players or because they're looking somebody punished, they do it because they know just how charitable the enforcement team is. There is far too much clemency and voiding situations is far too frequent. What needs to be taken into account is that voiding a situation affects more than the reporting parties.

And the amount of backseat moderators makes me sick. For some reason the culture's glorified and bum-licks are put on a pedestal as if what they're doing is for the greater good. These asslickers are treated like military veterans on some "thanks for your service" shit and it's prompting them to continue the cycle for additional medals on their uniforms. It's widespread and what needs to happen is those enforcing and condoning this need to be held to account. It might be contradictory but I've challenged some of the decisions of administrators with counter-reports and the management have reverted decisions. Sometimes fire needs to be fought with fire.

I don't agree with permanent bans the way they're thrown around and I also don't agree with constant admin jails. @Giacobbe made a good point a few threads back in saying that admin jails should be substituted with temporary bans or a point system should be introduced.

Voiding situations and handing out refunds constantly does nothing but add to this culture. Reporting people for petty reasons and being saluted for it adds to this culture. We need to change this culture.

I have no experience doing illegal roleplay, but roleplaying as a cop, it's a very slim chance in my experience that the Illegal roleplayer will actually appreciate the roleplay, not complain, and not be upset they "lost" even if they made a silly mistake to get caught. They are usually extremely bitter OOCly. I have had some organizations, such as Little Tokyo, be extremely courteous OOCly via Discord and awesome roleplayers in general.

And I'll agree with the above comments, it seems as if even if a player is "wrong" for doing something, they are left unpunished and told to "void" the situation entirely, speaking from past reports with blatant metagame. This is a win for the reported party, and a loss for the reporting person.

Edited by Procaine
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, SOLDADO said:

While I do agree with the OP regarding the current "culture of reporting," you cannot advocate for petty reports and then create a discussion around how the community needs to stray away from that behavior. For refence:

Don't be the guy you don't want to see.

Sorry fam can’t hear you from the archive section. 

• Gore locked this topic