The culture of reporting on this server

Goonbag

2 hours ago, Ukkometso said:

I absolutely dislike frequent typos and poor grammar. (If they're roleplaying someone who doesn't speak English they get a pass, so long as they're doing it properly) I would report every case of this, but the amount of time reports take is just not worth it.

You'd absolutely hate me. I'm the worst speller my mans.

On a side note, this is the culture the server has fostered over the years. It's their own damn fault for not pushing players to resolve more issues oocly together. There is no reason for a admin in 75% of forum reports if people just talk it out. 

I personally dislike the red tape associated with this server, feels like sometimes you need to ask admins permission to breathe and fart.

What's so wrong with re-rping or working with other players? 

This wont change unless the servers culture changes. period.

We're human not google AI roleplay robots.. We make mistakes...

Edited by Devastante
23 minutes ago, averycoolguy said:

Yeah it's LEO rpers because guess what criminal roleplayers have a tendency to break server rules to get away with shit. Whether it's pulling out a gun against 10 cops to get out of an arrest by PKing or ignoring PITs and crashes.

Way I see it, every player like that you report is doing the server a favor. They have no business playing on this server. Normally it would be Staff's duty to be proactive and deal with this shit as it happens but oh well, someone's gotta' pick up the slack and throw the garbage out.

And before you get your knickers in a knot and start crying 'boo hoo you're bigoted against criminal rpers' go look at the forum report section and you'll see that 90% of the people being punished are criminal RPers who broke a rule. Facts can't be biased.

I mean it makes sense though - illegal roleplayers are involved in more high tense scenarios with more room for human error. Of course someone who is in an active war with another faction is at a higher chance of having a report placed against them than someone who does nothing but attend coffee houses and hangout with their friends.

You need to remember that your job is to police San Andreas, not police the server. Someone roleplaying a criminal IC doesn’t make them a criminal OOC. If there were no criminals on the server, your job as an LEO would be pretty boring, right?

• Upvote 1

Most of the time, a report is not worth the hassle and time invested given the rule break is either too trivial or the outcome being between a slap on the wrist warning up to a 30 minutes ajail unless you are an absolute fuck up that somehow managed to get yourself banned, even if the person acted with malicious intent and has been "punished" for the very same thing just days prior. This has been a continous trend observed in the past weeks on the player report section.

Especially in LEO roleplay, a lot of things are simply let go, falling under that "not worth the hassle" category to put efforts and time into things that contribute to the community and the factions portrayal opposed to AFKing to write report 2941252 on Schmog #213. What makes most reports surrounding LEO roleplay are blatant DM, or avoiding IC consequences through OOC means (r.e. PK to avoid jail, log off to prevent jail or save your assets from being seized, CnR style driving jumping cliffs and such, etc) due to how many people are involved and how much time is being invested in the whole scenery. This can be investigations and planned operations all the way down to pursuits and simple police response to a 911 call. Thinking a pursued person running into an apartment, locking the door behind them and then logging off. You have a bunch of officers on the outside and eventually a tactical team responding to attempt negotiations, inspect the building and eventually make entry to find an empty house with the person logged off. And all their time and efforts are wasted into you who decided to log off because you wanted to save your precious firearm.

...and then there is the occasional 3000 word essay drama summary report or "class action" trivial report for internet clout which, however, makes a very small percentage between the many reports.

TL;DR Overall, I see a trend in the direct opposite of what OP mentioned with less reports written simply because "it's not worth it". May this be due to the rule break too trivial or people being tired of putting up with reports, back and forth for it to then "make no difference" in the end with the offender left at a slap on the wrist - even repeat offenders - resulting in an increasing number of "severe" rule breaks left unreported.

Edited by orca112
33 minutes ago, averycoolguy said:

Yeah it's LEO rpers because guess what criminal roleplayers have a tendency to break server rules to get away with shit. Whether it's pulling out a gun against 10 cops to get out of an arrest by PKing or ignoring PITs and crashes.

Way I see it, every player like that you report is doing the server a favor. They have no business playing on this server. Normally it would be Staff's duty to be proactive and deal with this shit as it happens but oh well, someone's gotta' pick up the slack and throw the garbage out.

And before you get your knickers in a knot and start crying 'boo hoo you're bigoted against criminal rpers' go look at the forum report section and you'll see that 90% of the people being punished are criminal RPers who broke a rule. Facts can't be biased.

> LEO factions are lesser numbered due to the fact that it’s a faction and not everyone wants to be a cop. 
> This means that a large percentage of the player base does not wish to be an LEO.

> Ergo believable that a large portion of the reports section would come from Non LEO rpers, ergo Criminal RP being the main common denominator.

do the quick maths 

The reason people report all the time here is the same reason they used to do it at the other place. Having something to gain from reporting + an admin culture that fundamentally supports reporting will always lead to an overabundance of reports, also often the delay in those reports being handled. 

21 minutes ago, Goonbag said:

I mean it makes sense though - illegal roleplayers are involved in more high tense scenarios with more room for human error. Of course someone who is in an active war with another faction is at a higher chance of having a report placed against them than someone who does nothing but attend coffee houses and hangout with their friends.

You need to remember that your job is to police San Andreas, not police the server. Someone roleplaying a criminal IC doesn’t make them a criminal OOC. If there were no criminals on the server, your job as an LEO would be pretty boring, right?

Nah, they'd just give parking tickets and do community policing. Cops are involved in high tense scenarios too and they get SUCCESSFULLY reported far less often. Simply because they aren't as play to win.

I assure you that cops would rather patrol and do passive RP than chase after a Powergamer. The latter isn't fun at all.

15 minutes ago, sk8 said:

> LEO factions are lesser numbered due to the fact that it’s a faction and not everyone wants to be a cop. 
> This means that a large percentage of the player base does not wish to be an LEO.

> Ergo believable that a large portion of the reports section would come from Non LEO rpers, ergo Criminal RP being the main common denominator.

LSPD alone has over 100 members on a server that sees 700 people on an average night. Population isn't an issue. Higher quality is enforced. If you don't RP crashes as a cop you get into trouble, whereas as a criminal you can get away with it or pulling a gun on 10 cops all the time.

There's no need to get salty, I'm just telling you what it's like.

4 hours ago, Goonbag said:

I will only report if the situation creates a significant loss for myself or my faction.

This is the case for most people, including myself. However, there are rules on the server and if you witness anyone breaking in the smallest way possible, you are fully entitled to and have every right to submit a report, it's not against the rules and if you feel affected or just simply feel like it was wrong, you can do it. It has happened at least once to everyone to be reported for like maybe failing to RP or just an accidental mistake, but the reporting party has a right to report you and we must be courteous and everything will be fine, anything can be resolved.   

7 minutes ago, matt said:

This is the case for most people, including myself. However, there are rules on the server and if you witness anyone breaking in the smallest way possible, you are fully entitled to and have every right to submit a report, it's not against the rules and if you feel affected or just simply feel like it was wrong, you can do it. It has happened at least once to everyone to be reported for like maybe failing to RP or just an accidental mistake, but the reporting party has a right to report you and we must be courteous and everything will be fine, anything can be resolved.   

But the resolution process can take weeks of back and forth of essays over something as innocuous as someone crashing into a wall on their way to their house so that they can log off. 

21 minutes ago, Goonbag said:

But the resolution process can take weeks of back and forth of essays over something as innocuous as someone crashing into a wall on their way to their house so that they can log off. 

It can be yes, I'll agree to that, however, as I said, it is their right to report and as much as you feel like it's stupid or minor or whatever the case, this is allowed and there for a reason, and there is nothing wrong with it as far as the community's regulations go. If we were to start censoring these applications out, the players that feel obligated to report these situations will be displeased and that will bring us into a whole other, unnecessary loop of uncertainties where we can just leave it and everyone can stay happy (unless you're the party that's being reported lol).

• Gore locked this topic