The culture of reporting on this server

Goonbag

I personally have never reported anyone, despite having witnessed many counts of rulebreaking on the server. Closest thing to "reporting someone" would be me using /report, which the two times I did do that, admins were able to solve the issue with the opposing party without it escalating to a full on forum report. I'm just too lazy for all that forum report stuff. I'm not gonna spend an hour of my time to compile evidence, report someone, and wait 2 weeks for a conclusion that ends with a verbal warning, just because someone smashed into me at an intersection and didn't want to rp the accident.

The only instance in which I would result to reporting is if it were related to Doxing which might expose me to IRL repercussions. As this goes beyond the game, and even then, what's an admin going to do about that other than ban them, it wouldn't stop the issue outright. 

For the rest, is your life really that bad that you think that you have to go and be a karen about every technicality? In the end it is just a game. Let it slide and go on with doing what you love, playing the game. Sure there are rules, but who cares about an online persona, online currency or online assets? I'm sure you've worked hard to attain it, but isn't the fun in attaining it, rather than maintaining it? Let me reiterate. It is just a game. 

The internet is full of idiots and trolls, don't let them ruin your day. 

Edited by Jimenez
  • Upvote 1

First and foremost, we should be trying to resolve things between each other before getting admins involved. 

If we can’t do that, then get admins involved. 

I believe that admins should (if they don’t already) take whether or not players have tried to resolve things between themselves first into account when considering a report. 

This culture of “I want them punished!” is childish and reminiscent of a by-gone era in roleplay communities that was salty, toxic and non-conducive to good community relations and helping other players to learn and grow. 

People need to take a little personal responsibility and learn to let things go.

Provided something doesn’t cause you any sort of loss or catastrophic inconvenience then why waste everyone’s time with a report?

The game is marked as 18+ whether people accept that or not. If you’re not mature enough to realise that your personal relationships and reputation are going to get damaged because you’re the type of person that goes snitching to the admins and can’t solve your own problems, then perhaps you shouldn’t be playing here. 

I’m all for members of the community solving things between themselves first and then falling back on admins as the Jedi-like mediators/tie breakers, and then having punishment dished out as an absolute last resort to those who have a blatant disregard for the rules/community values or refuse to accept education over punishment. 

Do away with this punishment culture. It does nothing but build resentment among members of the community.

Edited by Joseph Tarano
  • Upvote 1
15 hours ago, Goonbag said:

For example, if someone assaults your character, and you DON’T lose anything, is it really necessary to report that player?

I'll try to lay out an 'opposing' view to the direction that this thread is trending towards. My view on this is that not reporting players who blatantly break the rules ultimately degrades the experience of everyone on the server.

Even if your character hasn't lost anything or wasn't particularly impacted in a negative way, there can still be a good reason for an administrator to look into the situation. The primary reason would be to allow the 'offending' player to correct their ways in the future. This benefits everyone. The player involved, who can perhaps be taught to adjust their ways before they amass a long server record. But also any other player that might otherwise be on the wrong end of the inevitable next infraction. You may not lose anything this time, but what about the other player next time? They don't deserve to be subjected to a rule breaker's activities, and is better for everyone that this is prevented.

Ideally, this would be done through /report, where an administrator can talk to the reported player directly. But often administrators are too busy, so it turns into a forum report. This is less ideal, because now both sides are subjected to public opinion. Players become defensive, and you will often find players who have clearly been rule breaking try to turn the situation around, and find anything they can get their hands on to punish the reporting party, or perhaps make them appear petty or of ill will. This behavior, I am sure people would agree, does not help to create a better experience for everyone. Sometimes, it is enough to have a player simply be talked to. Whilst it pains me to say this, because I find the report section highly entertaining, but turning reports private would probably be better overall. After all, the goal should be to achieve the best outcome for the server overall. 

This is what I think a lot of people who are replying here about petty reports, or replying about those damn LEO players who never get punished anyway, are really missing. I invite you to look beyond your own interests, your group of friends' interests, your faction's interests, and look at what the experience might be for a (new) player who tries to enjoy a heavy roleplay environment. Would they possibly be negatively affected by a breach of the rules, like the one you just came across? If they would be, then it might be time to file a report. In game, on the forums, through RPQM, or otherwise.

Finally, please consider the consequences in the longer term. One rule break isn't so bad, its impact is limited. But what if it turns into a consistent issue? Players who aren't reported for their intentional rule breaking are probably not going to change their behavior and correct their attitude by themselves. Over time, there's a risk that it becomes 'accepted' by the average player, even though administrators would still dish out punishments if its reported. This is when you are on the path of losing quality. That's a path we need to get off, not a path we should keep following.

Edited by mj2002
  • Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1

This is like asking whether you'd report someone to the cops if you saw them breaking the law. If I noticed someone trying to break into a car, I'd absolutely call the police. But if I saw a 16 year-old drinking alcohol? Meh, why bother. Ultimately, it all comes down to how severe a player's actions are.

A lot of people nowadays forum report everyone for anything and everything when it should only be done as a last resort. Learn to take a seat and talk things through with other players. If you truly love this game, it doesn't matter if you win or lose.

15 hours ago, Ukkometso said:

I absolutely dislike frequent typos and poor grammar. (If they're roleplaying someone who doesn't speak English they get a pass, so long as they're doing it properly) I would report every case of this, but the amount of time reports take is just not worth it.

Life of the party here

• Gore locked this topic