how and why are there so many rich people

np

On 2/20/2022 at 2:32 PM, Topinambour said:

The second problem is that unlike a pen & paper campaign or a forum, the "gameplay" element is very much present. As much as we'd like to ignore it, it remains important. As a consequence, the sense of gameplay progression keeps a form of importance that we can't really ignore 😕 It's unimportant for some - like myself - but I can totally understand why it would feel important for others. 

Unfortunately, even if it worked fine for 99% (which is 100% impossible), even that tiny 1% of people role-playing extra rich and all would absolutely ruin it for everyone else. Imagine 99 people role-playing realistic characters and one wearing $1 million in clothes climbing out of their limo and into their helicopter parked on their extravagant nightclub to go over to their private yacht for a private EDM festival. Or maybe we have five people out of a hundred. And imagine that at peak hours, with 800 players on, and the entire Forbes 500 CCWing away in their mansions. You can't really ignore that.

As you said it, it might on a small server, or one where everyone is more or less friends and knows each other, but not here. And the biggest other factor is that it would completely take away the IC purpose of most characters - it'd be pointless to role-play struggling for money when you have unlimited cash in the bank.

On 2/20/2022 at 1:09 PM, Paenymion said:

I pondered something similar in the past: what would it be like with no scripted money?  But the problem is that we don't really have a unified view of what "heavy RP" is.  If everyone agreed that it is simply developing a character through interactions and story, then why do we even need scripted money?  If you want to tell a story of being a rich person: be a rich person.  If you want to tell a story of being a poor person: be a poor person.  Who cares right?  It would quickly weed out people who don't share the same view like "Oh noes, that sports car I spent 3 months grinding for, now EVERYONE can just have it free? wtf I'm leaving".  Meanwhile the person voluntarily roleplaying a homeless hobo wouldn't care less if a sports car is free or not.  We'd probably see a lot less paranoia about robberies/car thefts too.  Why vpark your car every single time if the only consequence of it being stolen is just an enrichment of your character's story?  The reliance on scripted money that needs OOC time to get just makes people too protective of things on an OOC level.  Same for guns, people wouldn't bother looting themselves stupidly or doing low quality robberies if they could be acquired purely through roleplay and didn't require scripted money.  But of course, such a huge change wouldn't happen, it's too much of a departure from the established LSRP formula.  It's something a completely new server would have to try, and see how it goes.

To address few points here, let me begin with a victim's point of view. As someone whos had their car stolen twice in a single night I can tell you, that no having your car stolen every other day is not really a story enrichment, it's annoying OOC chop list abuse that's what it is. Then people would still roleplay mugging and robbing others, simply because they feel limited with what they can do. But that's actually it, people think, that real life Bloods or Crips have countless sources of income? No, they don't. It's mostly drugs, breakins or guns. That's literally it. Robberies happen, because people rping criminals simply know, that there is a solid chance, that victim has a gun on them, because frankly, many do. Also one thing, gang members actually have to be productive, nobody wants a gangsta, that doesn't pull their weight. Membership in a gang is paid, literally.

So if you cannot sell your fill and you won't most likely cause not many buy drugs, you have to reach for shotcaller's money elsewhere. See? One detail to another, leads to increased crime waves, cause criminals of all kinds need money too. Which is why people vpark their cars and stay home. It took me a long while to come to terms with it. But this is the core of GTA roleplay. The crims, The LEOs and the prey. Rich characters tend to stand out of course, cause they have means to do so. But there is 1 millionaire per 5 criminal and 2 middle class roleplayers. Cca, numbers shift, as they always do.

And lastly, portrayal, some people are here to flash their fleet at others, some are here to genuinely roleplay being rich and some are somewhere between.

Edited by Engelbert
15 hours ago, Engelbert said:

To address few points here, let me begin with a victim's point of view. As someone whos had their car stolen twice in a single night I can tell you, that no having your car stolen every other day is not really a story enrichment, it's annoying OOC chop list abuse that's what it is. Then people would still roleplay mugging and robbing others, simply because they feel limited with what they can do. But that's actually it, people think, that real life Bloods or Crips have countless sources of income? No, they don't. It's mostly drugs, breakins or guns. That's literally it. Robberies happen, because people rping criminals simply know, that there is a solid chance, that victim has a gun on them, because frankly, many do. Also one thing, gang members actually have to be productive, nobody wants a gangsta, that doesn't pull their weight. Membership in a gang is paid, literally.

So if you cannot sell your fill and you won't most likely cause not many buy drugs, you have to reach for shotcaller's money elsewhere. See? One detail to another, leads to increased crime waves, cause criminals of all kinds need money too. Which is why people vpark their cars and stay home. It took me a long while to come to terms with it. But this is the core of GTA roleplay. The crims, The LEOs and the prey. Rich characters tend to stand out of course, cause they have means to do so. But there is 1 millionaire per 5 criminal and 2 middle class roleplayers. Cca, numbers shift, as they always do.

And lastly, portrayal, some people are here to flash their fleet at others, some are here to genuinely roleplay being rich and some are somewhere between.

"As someone whos had their car stolen twice in a single night I can tell you, that no having your car stolen every other day is not really a story enrichment, it's annoying OOC chop list abuse that's what it is"

Had my vehicle stolen, twice, in 2.5 years without /vparking any of my vehicles. Why are you having all of this bad luck with robberies and car thefts, man?

31 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Had my vehicle stolen, twice, in 2.5 years without /vparking any of my vehicles. Why are you having all of this bad luck with robberies and car thefts, man?

For the same reason someone can flip a coin 50 times and get heads 50 times, while others will have 25 heads and 25 tails, and everything in-between. Statistics don't mean everyone has the litteral same perfectly exact average experience. 

An average of 5 robberies per person per year can mean everyone gets robbed 5 times per year. Or it can mean one person gets robbed 50.000 times and everyone else zero. In a similar way, if Bill Gates enters a bar, everyone is a multi-millionaire on average. 

There's people who are lucky, others who ain't. I only got robbed ~once a month give or take. Someone I RP with got rob-kidnapped three times in a single week. It's not a perfectly even experience. You having your vehicle stolen only 2.5 times does not mean it's everyone's experience (and honestly it's amazing to think that your experience = everyone's experience :x ).

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Some cars never get stolen other than for joyriding if at all, some aren't even in the chop list. Some are incredibly sought-after through the chop list. Depending on where you RP and what factions are around you and what car specifically you own, you might just never get it stole. This was the case for my Alamo, which I parked out on the street in South Central constantly and I never had stolen because: a) it looked like an unmarked b) it wasn't in the chop list at the time.

3 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

For the same reason someone can flip a coin 50 times and get heads 50 times, while others will have 25 heads and 25 tails, and everything in-between. Statistics don't mean everyone has the litteral same perfectly exact average experience. 

An average of 5 robberies per person per year can mean everyone gets robbed 5 times per year. Or it can mean one person gets robbed 50.000 times and everyone else zero. In a similar way, if Bill Gates enters a bar, everyone is a multi-millionaire on average. 

There's people who are lucky, others who ain't. I only got robbed ~once a month give or take. Someone I RP with got rob-kidnapped three times in a single week. It's not a perfectly even experience. You having your vehicle stolen only 2.5 times does not mean it's everyone's experience (and honestly it's amazing to think that your experience = everyone's experience :x ).

Just seems to be the same three people making the same complaints, over and over. Yet, the majority posting, here, don't undergo these experiences. Never said "It only happens to me, so it never happens to others". It's just that some people really do over-exaggerate these claims. One person kept making these same complaints, yet also stated that they haven't been online in a year.

It just makes one side of the community (illegal) look bad.

• Applaud 1
24 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Just seems to be the same three people making the same complaints, over and over. Yet, the majority posting, here, don't undergo these experiences. Never said "It only happens to me, so it never happens to others". It's just that some people really do over-exaggerate these claims. One person kept making these same complaints, yet also stated that they haven't been online in a year.

Oh I get that dw, and it's VERY likely that some people are exaggerating 😛 

But I'm not kidding when I say I saw someone getting kidnapped three times in the span of seven days, or someone else ending in the middle of a shooting every evening for several days in a row (in spite of not going to any shitty area of town) ^^' Some people really see some wild shit lol, even though they did nothing special 

31 minutes ago, DLimit said:

While possible, it was revealed by the administration that prior to recent changes, the claims were very much true. The impact had even started to disrupt the overall wellbeing of the ingame economy, from which we're now still recovering. 

Things have calmed a lot since, though. A lot of the low quality roleplay has now been recognized and resolved.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic