how and why are there so many rich people

np

8 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

Neither of those two things is a problem.

• 20 hours a week, on average (3 hours per day) is a lot for lots of people. If the salary was given only for on-duty hours, people would have an incentive to not develop their characters out of work (unless they have 5-6 hours to role-play per day, which for most people in most cases is just unrealistic).
  • The $4,000/hour bonus is completely neccessary to incentivize role-play over grinding in most jobs. If your income depends on your sales, you'll look to rush as many as you can to get as much as you can. If it simply depends on role-playing, then you'll do that, even if you get one or twenty sales that hour. It's a way to make sure people can role-play while still getting script money to then use for more role-play. Besides, most businesses couldn't sustain themselves without it.

Hate to say this but from what I have heard from others, it is very hard to develop a character outside of LSSD or LSPD or most of the other government based jobs due to everything you do comes into question, including going to a bar. So I hate to say this, but getting paid a flat rate for just being online for 20 hours and you maybe do 2 hours on duty while other people spend 20 or more hours on duty, just doesn't seem right.

Personally if you join PHMC, LSSD, LSPD, Gov, or any of the others - then it should be your priority of RP and you should be on duty. Most cops IRL work long shifts and are burnt after their shifts so they don't go out or anything else. On days off they go do stuff. But using the excuse of 3 hours is a lot for people, most people I have met in LSPD are in LSPD as alts and are averaging around 50 hours a week on the server so I really don't see the argument here.

The discussions previously were about nerfing the starter paychecks, nerfing the hourly, and other stuff but from the perspective of someone who has done DJing, bartending, working in a liquor store to numerous other things. DJing on average paid around 15k-20k for two hours. Bartending 12k in wages plus tips and bonuses. However, liquor store or any of the other stores was 4k per hour and I had to /me every 5 minutes, then you get a portion of sales which 90% of the time it was nerfed so hard you made nothing from it. Not to mention mechanic stuff where they get owned by people who just bank the money and you can see the business sitting at over 500k yet you're getting MAYBE 10% of an order.

There needs to be regulations put in place and sadly this is an RP server. So looking from an IRL perspective everyone varies on when they can play or how long. But for people like me, I am 6 hours behind the server time. Some people are one when the server is sitting at 100 or less people. A lot of those people miss out on the more financially stable jobs due to the lack of RP available so the passive check being what it is, helps them keep up in a way.

Personally, they should implement a tax system. Where the script that gives you the check every hour checks your assets and you sit in a tax bracket which calculates how much you get every hour. Someone who has over 500k in assets maybe only gets $200 instead of the $800. We already have a similar script involved when it comes to hunting and fish, if you have too much in assets you get significantly less when turning stuff in which kind of sucks and makes no sense to me from a realistic standpoint but oh well.

The economy is the way it is and it works for the most part. As I have been told numerous times, if you see roleplay or portrayal you deem is unfit or doesn't make sense then RPQM the person. Let admins go through and fix the situation because I will openly admit there are a lot of people on here who write these elaborate backstories but then within a week end up owning Pariahs or Neons yet their backstory says they were broke, huh? Just RPQM it and let it be handled, learned it's best to just not ask questions anymore.

2 hours ago, Targuth said:

Hate to say this but from what I have heard from others, it is very hard to develop a character outside of LSSD or LSPD or most of the other government based jobs due to everything you do comes into question, including going to a bar. So I hate to say this, but getting paid a flat rate for just being online for 20 hours and you maybe do 2 hours on duty while other people spend 20 or more hours on duty, just doesn't seem right.

Personally if you join PHMC, LSSD, LSPD, Gov, or any of the others - then it should be your priority of RP and you should be on duty. Most cops IRL work long shifts and are burnt after their shifts so they don't go out or anything else. On days off they go do stuff. But using the excuse of 3 hours is a lot for people, most people I have met in LSPD are in LSPD as alts and are averaging around 50 hours a week on the server so I really don't see the argument here.

The discussions previously were about nerfing the starter paychecks, nerfing the hourly, and other stuff but from the perspective of someone who has done DJing, bartending, working in a liquor store to numerous other things. DJing on average paid around 15k-20k for two hours. Bartending 12k in wages plus tips and bonuses. However, liquor store or any of the other stores was 4k per hour and I had to /me every 5 minutes, then you get a portion of sales which 90% of the time it was nerfed so hard you made nothing from it. Not to mention mechanic stuff where they get owned by people who just bank the money and you can see the business sitting at over 500k yet you're getting MAYBE 10% of an order.

There needs to be regulations put in place and sadly this is an RP server. So looking from an IRL perspective everyone varies on when they can play or how long. But for people like me, I am 6 hours behind the server time. Some people are one when the server is sitting at 100 or less people. A lot of those people miss out on the more financially stable jobs due to the lack of RP available so the passive check being what it is, helps them keep up in a way.

Personally, they should implement a tax system. Where the script that gives you the check every hour checks your assets and you sit in a tax bracket which calculates how much you get every hour. Someone who has over 500k in assets maybe only gets $200 instead of the $800. We already have a similar script involved when it comes to hunting and fish, if you have too much in assets you get significantly less when turning stuff in which kind of sucks and makes no sense to me from a realistic standpoint but oh well.

The economy is the way it is and it works for the most part. As I have been told numerous times, if you see roleplay or portrayal you deem is unfit or doesn't make sense then RPQM the person. Let admins go through and fix the situation because I will openly admit there are a lot of people on here who write these elaborate backstories but then within a week end up owning Pariahs or Neons yet their backstory says they were broke, huh? Just RPQM it and let it be handled, learned it's best to just not ask questions anymore.

Not sure who you talked to but that's completely, utterly false. I can't speak for other factions, but for the SD it is completely false. Passive and off-duty role-play is highly, heavily encouraged. People are to develop their characters outside of their workplace, it's one of the most basic requirements when joining. No one's going to supervise what you do off-duty or where you go - either way, you should be mindful to keep it realistic, but no one's watching you big-brother style. There's plenty of off-duty role-play and development for everyone, both on their own and among each others. Both as a group and as smaller groups of people who work in similar units (SD's SEB, for example). Hell, there was even an LSSD MC at some point. So whoever told you that was a one-off for whatever reason. Being a robocop, spending all of your time on-duty, is actually rare and frowned upon.

Also - mo, your priority should not be to be on-duty, it should be to role-play a realistic character. A deputy sheriff works 8 hours like anyone else (exceptions aside), after which they have their own families, hobbies, and life. They don't work and then crash, over and over, until they die or retire. Also, not sure who these "majority" of people averaging 50 hours a week are. 50 hours a week is an ABAS of 7.14. I've checked the ABAS' of everyone in SD multiple times to see where I was standing with my 4 something and the vast, vast majority were at around 1-2. There are probably 10 people out of 180 or so who play for 4 hours a day, on average. 3 hours of on-duty time a day, every day, is a huge ask as it is. Making the paycheck only apply to that would mean 95% of people would either have to sacrifice their off-duty role-play, their real life, or their paychecks and mind you, your character would still earn that money as they're working and living even when you're not online.

A tax system is something I heavily support, really, but only if it's done as part of a major update, to make them realistic. Not just random taxes to take away your money which is ultimately used to empower role-play in one way or another. If you see someone portraying their characters poorly? File an RPQM report. I can guarantee you they'll get dealt with but usually? They give up on the server/character sooner than that report is handled, since those kinds of have-it-all characters are not fun. 

my group got lucky and snagged three trailers straight off the market due to either inactivity or bans way back in November n we could actually afford them. When mallrats aren't hoarding properties it's easy to be poor.

One thing I think is that mapping shouldn't cost money. That's right. Spawning furniture? Shouldn't cost anything. As someone well versed in mapping, I can safely say it's actually currently more expensive to make low income looking homes than high income. This only adds to issue of there being so many rich people. Want to be poor? Pay me $300000 for a small run down apartment and $120000 in furnishings plus whatever you need to pay the mapper. Remove furniture costs...

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, L I C E said:

Remove furniture costs...

Amen. Leads to nothing good. The aerial defense systems I found in LSNN's elevator speak for themselves, not to mention the floating watches above the ceiling. It gives the wrong incentive and indeed leads to the ironic situation that a giant hall full of marble is cheaper to build than a small room full of trash

• Applaud 1
12 hours ago, Corazon said:

also remove the fact that players can easily own 2 properties. You really need 2 properties? Pay taxes every hour or something so less people would be hoarding properties.

I don't think that's that problematic though? Doesn't really have anything to do with having so many rich people around.

52 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

I don't think that's that problematic though? Doesn't really have anything to do with having so many rich people around.

It's a popular urban myth in LS that low income housing is unavailable to upright poor character players because of millionaires keeping second places in the ghetto.

All the more ironic given pm/rpqm will jump if anyone playing a rich character as much as considers getting a country house for the weekend.

Not to speak of properties that actually do not fit a character.

• Upvote 1

I think all realism regarding the economy in GTA:W has gone out the window when the server portrays a mustang GT as a vehicle that costs 315k. 

Also for a server full of "heavy RPers" kinda shocks me that people are concerned with others in game assets. 

This is the culture the server has created itself. There is no /fix/

Leme ask you this. Lets say everyone logged in and the economy was reset, and everything was /cheaper/ (scaled down in price) Would you still be mad when people had money and cars? Probably....

Stay in your lane, let the admins do their jobs, and quit sideline dictating how people should roleplay. 

Edited by Devastante
  • Upvote 1

I always wondered, if people have time talking about stuff here 24/7, who is rping? Anyway the way I see it, if you earned your money through roleplay, it does not matter what amount of assets you are sitting on. They are yours. You did not break any rules, you roleplayed earning them, so what? Does your char has a family, they provide for? Do they save up for their retirement? If not, why not buy what you want, if you can buy it. It's a game where we wake up with a memory loss when we die. So nobody should be butthurt over neighbour's 3 cars and new plasma TV screen. Get your own.

Edited by Engelbert

It seems to be cheaper to uphold a middle or upper class lifestyle to be honest. I'm trying to portray lower class poverty along with all the passive struggles and complications, the problem I've come to understand is that you're going to have to be comfortable with sitting in a rental for a good month or two before an expensive ✌️ lower class ✌️ property comes up for sale. Gentrification is real in most if not all of the lower class residential neighborhoods, that will never change while hood roleplay happens to be one of if not the most popular creative directions in the server.

These areas aren't even the biggest either, so it doesn't sustain the current population of roleplayers as well as the intake of newcomers. What I would love to see more people respect while they're roleplaying in lower class environments is the ability to develop according to their wealth. If you've made your thick income over time through either legitimate or illegitimate means, there's no reason as to why you should be sticking around a lower class environment hoarding assets considering that most people stuck in a cycle of poverty only dream of getting out of that viscious cycle.

The inability to move on is usually down to poor development and bias, those who have not actively tried to rid of their accumulated wealth through creative and selfless means in order to maintain their social status and thus without realizing it are gentrifying the environment they roleplay in. Those who vicariously live through their characters and think that social status doesn't mean anything, it's just a barrier that limits their fun perspective of poverty and life in general.

Ultimately though there's a vast amount of opinions, takes and expectations here in this community so there's always going to be a good chunk of the playerbase who despise the idea of discussing wealth and how it should be correctly portrayed. The red tape argument all over again.

Edited by ScoobertDoobert
  • Wuhtah locked this topic