how and why are there so many rich people

np

4 hours ago, Moonsong said:

Same goes for the majority 20 somethings in any working class job. They're not going to get the higher paying roles without experience

That's a great point and an even greater problem. It's a widespread thing and it should receive more attention from the RPQM team, honestly. It's tiring seeing how many 20-year-olds or so are not only rich or working good positions, but are actually managers and owners of various, sometimes multiple, businesses. It's extremely cringe and unrealistic. If you want to role-play a business manager or owner, have a realistic character with a realistic age. The amount of 20-year-old managers and business owners here is completely ridiculous.

10 hours ago, ChromaticDeath said:

I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or saying I were the one who was saying to tax people and such but I'm agreeing with you because we have the same take. If it's the latter probably re-read my post, not saying for anyone to need to grind anything out, but moreso, that things need to be roleplayed out. It's a hobby, sure, but it's still a roleplay server. We can't have instant gratification everywhere in all walks of it or you get people like those that are being talked about in this thread.

Fully agree, instant gratification is a problem, a major one.

4 hours ago, Mahitto said:

That's a great point and an even greater problem. It's a widespread thing and it should receive more attention from the RPQM team, honestly. It's tiring seeing how many 20-year-olds or so are not only rich or working good positions, but are actually managers and owners of various, sometimes multiple, businesses. It's extremely cringe and unrealistic. If you want to role-play a business manager or owner, have a realistic character with a realistic age. The amount of 20-year-old managers and business owners here is completely ridiculous.

Think the problem is people don't age up their characters often or at all. Personally I wouldn't mind aging up my main to something in their early thirties. However I am weary of aging the character into their 40s solely because no one else really does that and it would make them pretty disconnected from the vast majority of other characters. As someone who's character thrives on making connections to advance their wealth, it might impact me negatively in that area so I'm hesistant to age up too fast.

11 hours ago, Law said:

Stray characters that have no real day-to-day motive feel like player-controlled NPCs.

Don’t be lazy, research and set your character’s life in stone because some of you melons don’t even know your characters date of birth.

I agree up to the date of birth.  You should have an idea of one set in stone, but when any sort of administrators (Be it IFM or whatever) ask you to age up for specific reasons your date of birth's going to change with it since the year we're RPing in won't change.

8 hours ago, El Bandito said:

Think the problem is people don't age up their characters often or at all. Personally I wouldn't mind aging up my main to something in their early thirties. However I am weary of aging the character into their 40s solely because no one else really does that and it would make them pretty disconnected from the vast majority of other characters. As someone who's character thrives on making connections to advance their wealth, it might impact me negatively in that area so I'm hesistant to age up too fast.

Eh, I don't know about that. I've heard that argument and granted, it's somewhat valid, but I rarely saw people not interact with others due to their IC age. Regardless, should it become a trend for people to properly age-up, this issue would be automatically resolved but nonetheless, something should be done about it. 20-year-olds shouldn't own much - I'm sure none (or very few) of the people here, on GTA World, own a business empire, penthouses and sports cars on the side. It's just not possible. It should be enforced more widely.

Weirdly enough... I'd rather see people build large empires faster than IRL, than age faster than IRL, mostly for time-skip-weirdness reasons ^^'

In real life, building a large empire from zero to hero takes a long, long time.

Famous criminals often need 10+ years to get well-known. Al Capone started with small gangs 10 years before he became prohibition-rich. Vito Genovese got first arrested in 1916, but became big time 20 years later. Pablo Escobar developed his network since he was a teenager, it also took a LONG time.

And same on the legal side. We tend to forget it, but Microsoft was created in 1975, Amazon in 1994, etc. 

The problem is, it's not really reasonable to expect any player to RP continuously for TEN YEARS in order to reach positions like those 😛 Now granted it should take some time, but given the nature of an RP server, it's not very serious to require a realistic time frame between the moment a start-up/gang is founded, to the moment it rises to prominence. 

The two main solutions to that are: 

- We accept that some things in RP go faster than in real life. It's been a long-established practice, even in the 1980s in old-school tabletop RPGs. It creates very few issues, it only requires some suspension of disbelief. The result is: "Oh, this went fast. Ok then!".

- We age some characters faster than others. While it could be more realistic, it creates a plethora of issues: change of date of birth, weird consequences on everyone around who did not age (or aged faster/slower), ... the result is "Wait you're 40...? No you're not, we're the same age?? ... /b wait ok hold on how does that fucking work, it's been 2 months IRL and 2 months for my character??" or "Sorry mister, your PHMC file says you're born in 1991, not 1983. Please leave or I'm going to call the police", and more ^^' 

As anyone can guess I'm more a proponent of the first one 😛 It keeps the RP flow fluid overall, and it avoids time skips where RP is faked ("During those 10 years that never happened in-game, my character did a ton of stuff and nobody could oppose me"). ^^

Edited by Topinambour
Grammar
On 2/14/2022 at 3:44 AM, Topinambour said:

We age some characters faster than others. While it could be more realistic, it creates a plethora of issues: change of date of birth, weird consequences on everyone around who did not age (or aged faster/slower)

Yeah... This does get confusing. Like, my character right now has a friend who is in his 30s and is wealthy. But last year, when I first met him, he was in his 20s and didn't really had much money at all. He's RP'ing a rags to riches type character and he's actually doing it right. He properly aged up to his mid-30s to properly portray 5-8 years of hard work.

But... This kinda does mess up my RP a bit. Because for my character, I only met him last year. But for him... Our characters have known each other for many years and are long term friends. And now, there's like a good 10 year age gap between our characters when it was only like 3 years before. Granted, this doesn't really affect our RP that much, at least for now, we just kinda ignore it and we don't bring up that aspect in RP. But it is still weird to wrap my head around. Like imagine what'll happen if he continues to age up his character, what if one day he's RP'ing his character as an elderly retired wealthy man, but for my character, only 4 years passed? It'll get weird fast.

And this is why I don't really like it when people age up faster. Kinda breaks everyone's immersion. But I can see why people do it. Some people RP long term character progression and need to abruptly age up a few years for it to make sense. Meanwhile someone like me, I RP time as 1:1 with real life, at least with my current character. I only age up my character once a year on her birthday to keep things realistic.

• Wuhtah locked this topic