Character Design & Hiding behind Offensive Roleplay Rules

SCANDALOUZ

15 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

Players should be courteous to play with the mentality of:

'Don't do to another character what you are not willing to be the victim of (should the tables be turned).

Exactly this. If you roleplay a criminal, you should (ahead of time) be aware of the kind of activities that criminals do. That implies murder and physical abuse. If you roleplay a criminal, expect uncomfortable criminal things to happen.

And play-to-win stuff like this is a problem as well. People pull the 'uncomfortable' card when it suits them so they won't end up losing in a situation. I am entirely for people having a right to veto certain types of roleplay, but this is easily abused and should be adressed (especially if they do this same kind of RP to other people).

What? No. 

There are some double standards to these types of permissions and offensive roleplay scenes but being a victim of rape and being the offender are two different things, such as being the victim of torture and being the offender. People don't like feeling vulnerable and if they're not comfortable being tortured, but comfortable doing the torture, that's okay. It might seem "unfair" but it's better than forcing people through things they simply don't want to endure.

It's not about winning or losing, if you're in a position of power over somebody else and you're upset because you're not allowed to rape and torture them, that doesn't mean you don't have power of them, it doesn't mean you can't still beat them up and kill them, effectively ending the situation in your favor. 

There's probably a disproportionate amount of people on this server who would not consent to being a victim of offensive roleplay, and those who would consent to being a victim, and those who would be okay with this offensive roleplay as an offender. It's double standards. It's not perfect. But it's entirely acceptable and understandable.

Tldr: It's not about "Winning" or "Losing" its about the uncomfortable position of being the victim and being vulnerable and helpless that makes people not want to roleplay the offensive roleplay. You're not allowed to be upset because somebody refuses consent, that's the reason behind consent. 

1 minute ago, Beholder said:

What? No. 

There are some double standards to these types of permissions and offensive roleplay scenes but being a victim of rape and being the offender are two different things, such as being the victim of torture and being the offender. People don't like feeling vulnerable and if they're not comfortable being tortured, but comfortable doing the torture, that's okay. It might seem "unfair" but it's better than forcing people through things they simply don't want to endure.

It's not about winning or losing, if you're in a position of power over somebody else and you're upset because you're not allowed to rape and torture them, that doesn't mean you don't have power of them, it doesn't mean you can't still beat them up and kill them, effectively ending the situation in your favor. 

There's probably a disproportionate amount of people on this server who would not consent to being a victim of offensive roleplay, and those who would consent to being a victim, and those who would be okay with this offensive roleplay as an offender. It's double standards. It's not perfect. But it's entirely acceptable and understandable.

Tldr: It's not about "Winning" or "Losing" its about the uncomfortable position of being the victim and being vulnerable and helpless that makes people not want to roleplay the offensive roleplay. You're not allowed to be upset because somebody refuses consent, that's the reason behind consent. 

Nobody is asking for people to be obligated to sit thru hours of disgusting RP, but they shouldn't be able to void the event happening IC entirely. Like, FTB shouldn't be denied in cases.

6 minutes ago, SCANDALOUZ said:

Nobody is asking for people to be obligated to sit thru hours of disgusting RP, but they shouldn't be able to void the event happening IC entirely. Like, FTB shouldn't be denied in cases.

The trauma of dealing with victims guilt after a rape scene is exactly that, trauma and uncomfortable. It will create lots of uncomfortable aftermath roleplay for the victim beyond the initial event.

Unable to decline torture requests will lead to many more handicapped people. Fingers sure, but you're gonna have people that have their entire character development absolutely ruined by somebody who just wanted to chop off a limb "because I'm a monster/psycho/Illegal rper". No. Absolutely not.

Consent exists for a reason. Stop trying to remove consent. 

That being said, do you guys think that there should be an additional note in the offensive role playing rules that exempts certain characters from hiding behind it? E.g. you can't deny rape if you role play a crackhead prostitute(yes I know rape is illegal now, its an example, and I mean as a FTB happening, not having to sit thru a hour of such rp). You can't deny torture if you role play a mobbing sociopath that would be quick to do it to other people themselves and etc. Note these are just examples to get the point across, so when replying, please do not address the example directly, but rather the context it tries to present

I actually understood where you were coming from, until I saw this line and I stopped reading. Offensive roleplay rules must exist as a catch all to protect everyone and to discourage predatory behaviour. The minute you start adding exceptions it starts opening avenues that allow this kind of behaviour to flourish. Individual circumstances can change, perhaps they or family members were effected by something during that time. You just can't know, to presume that they're fine with it is just ignorant.

Having said that, I accept that there ARE people who hide behind OOC rules to avoid certain circumstances from transpiring. If you have sufficient proof of this and if it's a pattern of behaviour that repeats itself then you can make a forum, or RPQM report on said player. But exceptions to the offensive roleplay rule ARE NOT going to be made because it would set a very unhealthy precedent.

consent on these things and people rping2win are two diff things, aside from the few examples that you mentioned, make a guide or something if you want to deliver certain points on the rp2win mentality, but dont fuck w the other shit cause it exists for a reason

26 minutes ago, Moonsong said:

I actually understood where you were coming from, until I saw this line and I stopped reading. Offensive roleplay rules must exist as a catch all to protect everyone and to discourage predatory behaviour. The minute you start adding exceptions it starts opening avenues that allow this kind of behaviour to flourish. Individual circumstances can change, perhaps they or family members were effected by something during that time. You just can't know, to presume that they're fine with it is just ignorant.

Having said that, I accept that there ARE people who hide behind OOC rules to avoid certain circumstances from transpiring. If you have sufficient proof of this and if it's a pattern of behaviour that repeats itself then you can make a forum, or RPQM report on said player. But exceptions to the offensive roleplay rule ARE NOT going to be made because it would set a very unhealthy precedent.

While you are right, I disagree with the conclusion. Report? Quality report? Let's be realistic. Who will /punish/ anybody for said anybody refusing to be subjected to disgusting role play, or the very least the consequences of it?  Even if said person did it themselves two days ago for the sake of the argument. Our glorious community would torch a staff member for this. And most staff will likely want to play it safe and go by the book on this one. "Technically they have a right to refuse, even if I disagree."

Edited by SCANDALOUZ
1 hour ago, Beholder said:

What? No. 

What he meant actually is, if people are fine with say torturing or beating to death others, they shouldn't refuse to consent when same thing is gonna happen to them. That's precisely the point of this thread.

10 hours ago, Engelbert said:

And no disgusting roleplay never contributed to anything.

Contributes to having to live the effects of being raped. Don't lie to your self and claim that it doesn't. It's just a lack of creativity.