Character Design & Hiding behind Offensive Roleplay Rules

SCANDALOUZ

Just now, Callu said:

hey im new in the server so I dont know how things work over here. but cant the person on the receiving end say no to the roleplay but they would then develop their character as to had "experienced" it? 

for example if I'm on the receiving end of the roleplay of chopping of a finger, I said "hey can we skip this?" and then I'll just develop my char of having one less finger

Yeah that's basically what Fade to Black is. The RP scenario is skipped, but it still happened and so everyone roleplay as if it did happen. It's just that the RP had been skipped, Definitely something people can do. 

49 minutes ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

Do we have any examples of this happening?

Think it could be a good discussion if there is but if it's all hypotheticals it seems kinda pointless discussing something that doesn't happen anyway, can't personally say I've seen someone partaking in offensive RP but using the consent rule themselves to get out of situations. 

I don't have any specific example or particular evidence, so like I mentioned in the OP - take it with a grain of salt. I have personally seen it happen however, yes. Here and in other places, and I'm sure other people have as well.

10 minutes ago, Callu said:

hey im new in the server so I dont know how things work over here. but cant the person on the receiving end say no to the roleplay but they would then develop their character as to had "experienced" it? 

for example if I'm on the receiving end of the roleplay of chopping of a finger, I said "hey can we skip this?" and then I'll just develop my char of having one less finger

This is fine, but I was pointing to a different thing. E.g. someone torturing a willing party in detail, but then not consenting to be tortured a week later. Or flat out refusing to consent the rp/losing the finger in general. The rule can easily be 'abused' in a way for the victim to say that they are uncomfortable role playing a mained character since they find it disgusting/offensive role play. As presently written, you could get out even of said fade-to-black-but-it-happened. Fade to black being used implies parties agree to the outcome. And like I said, people can use said rules to NOT agree having to continue and role play a now maimed character.

This is a whole different debate, so I won't get much into it. I'll just say that, situationally, even disgusting role play (in detail) can contribute to the quality, depth and development of a particular storyline.

Edited by SCANDALOUZ
3 minutes ago, SCANDALOUZ said:

I don't have any specific example or particular evidence, so like I mentioned in the OP - take it with a grain of salt. I have personally seen it happen however, yes. Here and in other places, and I'm sure other people have as well.

Well I'm sure you have examples if you've personally seen it happen, if not it seems a little contradictory. Makes it much easier to discuss if we've got actual events that happened here to bounce off, sure you don't have to go in to details about who it was OOC if that's your concern. 

29 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

how does somebody not giving you permission to torture them display a play2win mindset? it's not like it stops you from roleplaying chopping off their fingers or something via a single-liner /me?

7 minutes ago, SCANDALOUZ said:

This is fine, but I was pointing to a different thing. E.g. someone torturing a willing party in detail, but then not consenting to be tortured a week later. Or flat out refusing to consent the rp/losing the finger in general. The rule can easily be 'abused' in a way for the victim to say that they are uncomfortable role playing a mained character since they find it disgusting/offensive role play. As presently written, you could get out even of said fade-to-black-but-it-happened. Fade to black being used implies parties agree to the outcome. And like I said, people can use said rules to NOT agree having to continue and role play a now maimed character. (Because disgusting) (repetition?)

5char

54 minutes ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

Well I'm sure you have examples if you've personally seen it happen, if not it seems a little contradictory. Makes it much easier to discuss if we've got actual events that happened here to bounce off, sure you don't have to go in to details about who it was OOC if that's your concern. 

Personally? Back when rape was still legal with consent. I know/have seen people role playing massive **ores doing all sorts of weirdo ERP worth 15K lines in the chatlog then refuse to consent as much as a FTB rape because they feel uncomfortable taking it IC. Screw realism and consequences I guess, as sociopathic as this may sound.

In other places, I've seen murderous characters try to appeal a CK because they found their character to have been killed in an offensive/disgusting fashion. E.g. beheaded.

I'm abstaining from in-depth personal examples, because I don't want Santanaa coming in here screaming "JUST REPORT"... The issue is in principle.

I have PERSONALLY done this in SAMP as a much younger person and less...er roleplayer.

51 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Well idk then still seems like a very minor issue like honestly how often do you torture people?

I haven't here. The issue is in principle, I believe I made that clear in the OP, given how this is a community that's allegedly big on role playing standards.

Edited by SCANDALOUZ

TL:DR: People can dish it out but can't take it. What's new?

I understand the arguemnt - if someone wishes to torture others they ought to accept torture onto themselves. Anything less is hyprocracy - But at the same time I'll give you an absurd hypothetical: Let's say you ask your girlfriend for anal and she grabs a strap on. If you backed out, would that be hypocracy?

Funny thing about consent is everyone has different limits of what they can and can't take. It's not about winning, it's about being comfortable. The rules exist for a reason, and if people "hide behind them" that's their decision.

34 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Well idk then still seems like a very minor issue like honestly how often do you torture people?

This.

39 minutes ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

I think I read the exact report he's definitely not talking about. I'll take a wild guess and say he's just here looking for OOC validation.

Honestly. Irl prostitutes, least those legal ones...never consent to do anything beyond standard procedures. Even a crackhead prostitute is damn aware if they are being raped and trust me on this, they hate it. Also if you don't understand what's the difference between fetish play and rape, than I am afraid I cannot help you. As for torture and rape itself. F2B or not, why would players even do that again? And no disgusting roleplay never contributed to anything.

Edited by Engelbert
5 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

Honestly. Irl prostitutes, least those legal ones...never consent to do anything beyond standard procedures. Also if you don't understand what's the difference between fetish play and rape, than I am afraid I cannot help you. As for torture and rape itself. F2B or not, why would players even do that again? And no disgusting roleplay never contributed to anything.

Ur, missing the point.

"My character killed a child, but I don't want to role play him losing an arm, nor him being armless, because that makes me uncomfortable."

And if you think that an actions-consequences dynamic doesn't contribute to anything, then I can't help you.

Edited by SCANDALOUZ
2 minutes ago, SCANDALOUZ said:

Ur, missing the point.

"My character killed a child, but I don't want to role play him losing an arm, nor him being armless, because that makes me uncomfortable."

So? The same way it works irl. Or do you think a gangster is someone whos tough? Naaaah doesn't work that way. Everyone is tough when they overpower the rest, but as soon as they are on receiving end they piss their pants.