Character Design & Hiding behind Offensive Roleplay Rules

SCANDALOUZ

1 minute ago, Engelbert said:

So? The same way it works irl. Or do you think a gangster is someone whos tough? Naaaah doesn't work that way. Everyone is tough when they overpower the rest, but as soon as they are on receiving end they piss their pants.

Yes? IRL you can't just nope out of consequences however. And you shouldn't here on a realism based role playing venue that allegedly upholds itself to a high standard.

1 minute ago, SCANDALOUZ said:

Yes? IRL you can't just nope out of consequences however. And you shouldn't here on a realism based role playing venue that allegedly upholds itself to a high standard.

Well that is on them then I guess. But the answer above counts here as well. When I was reading the OP I thought about the guy laughing and mocking others in CoD, after seeing himself on 1st place, but when new players join and are better...he doesn't like that. I think that's perfect picture of how it works in offensive roleplay. Except one difference. In our world rape is one of worst humiliations you could experience, so naturally no one is gonna consent to that.

7 minutes ago, SCANDALOUZ said:

Translation: "If this was a real roleplay server I'd be able to torture whoever I wanted!"

Nah, bro, rule 9 exists for a reason. In fact it literally says why it exists right there in the rules. Here's a link, why don't you go read them again and come back?

Maybe if you don't agree with the server's "standards" you can go find a venue that works for you. 

Edited by Fancy Toothpaste
4 minutes ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

Translation: "If this was a real roleplay server I'd be able to torture whoever I wanted!"

Nah, bro, rule 9 exists for a reason. In fact it literally says why it exists right there in the rules. Here's a link, why don't you go read them again and come back?

Maybe if you don't agree with the server's "standards" you can go find a venue that works for you. 

Your translation is bullshit, young fella.

"IN CONCLUSION AND IN MY OPINION -- THERE SHOULD AT THE VERY LEAST BE A LINE IN THE OFFENSIVE ROLEPLAY RULE THAT SPECIFICALLY EXEMPTS CERTAIN CHARACTERS FROM 'HIDING BEHIND THE RULE' (E.G. HARDCORE CRIMINALS). IF THEY ARE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THE EMOTING, THAT'S FINE, BUT AT THE VERY LEAST THEY SHOULD BE LEGALLY REQUIRED TO AGREE TO FTB AND TAKING THE CONSEQUENCE (E.G. MAIMED CHARACTER) FROM THERE ON AS OPPOSED TO JUST DODGING IT ENTIRELY. AGAIN, NOT ALL PEOPLE/CHARACTERS SHOULD BE FORCED TO ROLE PLAY MAIMED VICTIMS, BUT AT THE VERY LEAST THESE IN CIRCLES WHERE IT'S INCREDIBLY REALISTIC TO BECOME ONE (E.G. PROSTITUTE-RAPE ANALOGY)."

Literally in the OP. Please don't try to shove your bullshit narrative into my mouth.

And if you think that for example torturing someone and then refusing to be tortured a week later is fine, perhaps you should find a venue that works for you. I recommend one of these voicerp gems.

Edited by SCANDALOUZ
1 minute ago, SCANDALOUZ said:

Your translation is bullshit, young fella.

"IN CONCLUSION AND IN MY OPINION -- THERE SHOULD AT THE VERY LEAST BE A LINE IN THE OFFENSIVE ROLEPLAY RULE THAT SPECIFICALLY EXEMPTS CERTAIN CHARACTERS FROM 'HIDING BEHIND THE RULE' (E.G. HARDCORE CRIMINALS). IF THEY ARE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THE EMOTING, THAT'S FINE, BUT AT THE VERY LEAST THEY SHOULD BE LEGALLY REQUIRED TO AGREE TO FTB AND TAKING THE CONSEQUENCE (E.G. MAIMED CHARACTER) FROM THERE ON AS OPPOSED TO JUST DODGING IT ENTIRELY. AGAIN, NOT ALL PEOPLE/CHARACTERS SHOULD BE FORCED TO ROLE PLAY MAIMED VICTIMS, BUT AT THE VERY LEAST THESE IN CIRCLES WHERE IT'S INCREDIBLY REALISTIC TO BECOME ONE (E.G. PROSTITUTE-RAPE ANALOGY)."

Literally in the OP. Please don't try to shove your bullshit narrative into my mouth.

And if you think that for example torturing someone and then refusing to be tortured a week later is fine, perhaps you should find a venue that works for you. I recommend one of these voicerp gems.

Now that's a reply. You're really getting it now. Now go reply to my first comment.

I get your point but disagree strongly. Making a rule that forces people to engage in this sort of RP is not the needed solution because people should be able to still opt out regardless of what type of character they play.

Report individual cases of people you think are abusing the rules by engaging in hardcore violence IC while not allowing it to happen to them, that's it.

Altering rules in a way that could put people in a position in which they feel like they have to agree to certain kinds of potentially upsetting RP just because they RP a criminal isn't it.

46 minutes ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

TL:DR: People can dish it out but can't take it. What's new?

I understand the arguemnt - if someone wishes to torture others they ought to accept torture onto themselves. Anything less is hyprocracy - But at the same time I'll give you an absurd hypothetical: Let's say you ask your girlfriend for anal and she grabs a strap on. If you backed out, would that be hypocracy?

Funny thing about consent is everyone has different limits of what they can and can't take. It's not about winning, it's about being comfortable. The rules exist for a reason, and if people "hide behind them" that's their decision.

This.

I think I read the exact report he's definitely not talking about. I'll take a wild guess and say he's just here looking for OOC validation.

1) The girlfriend anal analogy is a good one, and you're right. But that analogy implies choice and electing for hypocrisy in-character. You don't get a choice on wether or not the mob cuts off your arm irl/ic, and you shouldn't ooc when it pertains to IC.

2) I literally have no idea what report you're talking about. Unlike half the server I don't stalk the report section. I have a silly active report on me for DM or whatever not real thing, and there's absolutely no torture or whatever involved.

3) I just saw this comment, musta lost it in the spam.

This thread definitely gonna be locked by tomorrow, guarantee you. No way this place is gonna remain civil for long. (especially with so many people misunderstanding the post)

I personally understand the argument you are making here. I feel like the solution to this would be to just have people Fade to Black. For example, if someone is about to get their fingers chopped off by an IC Mafia Faction... The guy can choose to FTB or "skip the roleplay". The RP scenario still happened. The guy still got his fingers chopped off IC'ly and he suffered the consequences. But since the RP is skipped, there was no real need to "consent" to it. Since there was no detailed RP that actually took place. 

Now yes, I understand. Your post is about people who do this type of offensive/erotic RP on others, but are allowed to reject consent when it happens to them. Is it weird that someone roleplaying as a prostitute 8 hours a day doesn't consent to ERP a week later when it's on them? Sure. But they still should have the option to reject it or skip the RP. Taking away people's ability to reject consent to this type of RP just because they "should be okay with it" is not a solution.

• Applaud 2