Character Design & Hiding behind Offensive Roleplay Rules

SCANDALOUZ

19 minutes ago, NickyW said:

> "character's viciously brutalized, broken down and tortured in graphic detail, something like that would fall under an AO rating and something you wouldn't see in base GTA 5"

Have you played GTA 5? There's a very graphic, detailed torture scene in the game. The game that's rated M...not AO.

Yes, it's a torture scene, but the context and overall presentation sets the scene and "level" of seriousness. EVERYTHING in GTAW is presented as 1:1 with reality, nothing is fantasy, while GTA5 is openly satire and the story obviously inspired by Hollywood cinema.

A comically Hollywood torture scene presented as dark-humor when you realize the character being tortured is innocent is no way comparable to visually documented IRL instances of people being pumped with drugs to keep them conscious as their eyes are ripped from their sockets, skin flayed from their entire body and their limbs removed as they scream in horror to send a message to their rivals. One's an exaggerated poke at the corrupt US government in the context of an over-the-top story involving ex-bank robbers, the other's real life.

1 hour ago, NickyW said:

> "if you have a problem with that you should consider where you're playing and what you willfully signed up for when creating an account, filling in an application and ultimately being accepted with the understanding you've read the rules and understood the environment you're playing in."

Uh. Yeah. Exactly. That's kind of my point? You're playing in a community based around a game where killing people is not only commonplace, but is a core gameplay mechanic. Thank you for beautifully illustrating my point. I thought you disagreed with me lol, but that sentence perfectly sums up my opinion, so thank you for writing it out for me.

You're being willfully ignorant and I'm sure you know that.

I'm not gonna sit here and try describe in detail why society is okay with murder in fictional media - blahblah John Wick blahblah - but we all know that shooting someone dead in anything fictional is far from controversial and considered the "floor" for graphic violence in media, it's just the way things have developed through our history and the society we live in.

Seems like your gripe is more with how the public reacts to sensitive media, not the GTAW community as a whole and hey? That's fine! More power to you! But I don't understand you being upset about players potentially not wanting to sit and read walls upon walls of text of their character/someone else's character being hacked to pieces in extensive detail.

• Upvote 1

Honestly this whole thread has turned into a highly disturbing argument, should just be locked imho as I don't see it accomplishing anything. Given the offensive rp rules are not going to change, they're there for more than one reason. Accept it and move on, I'm sure ya can all RP without being disgusting or offensive.

• Applaud 1
56 minutes ago, Moonsong said:

Honestly this whole thread has turned into a highly disturbing argument, should just be locked imho as I don't see it accomplishing anything. Given the offensive rp rules are not going to change, they're there for more than one reason. Accept it and move on, I'm sure ya can all RP without being disgusting or offensive.

I don't really know why it's even a discussion. People don't wanna see descriptive gore and horror, that's not what they signed up to get involved in, yet it's incredible this thread's been through 20 pages already.

On 7/11/2021 at 7:44 PM, BINGBONGGHOST said:

Seems like your gripe is more with how the public reacts to sensitive media, not the GTAW community as a whole and hey? That's fine! More power to you! But I don't understand you being upset about players potentially not wanting to sit and read walls upon walls of text of their character/someone else's character being hacked to pieces in extensive detail.

Since it has to be done in private anyway these players may as well do it with an imaginary person through /do. I know that's against the rules (PG I think) but it seems like a good way to satisfy everyone.

Unless they were the kind of player that needs to let others know how wacky and wild their character is and has to subject them to exactly what you described, which isn't just uncomfortable for some people but can also usually be extremely one sided and boring, there's not much that the victim can do and the instigator may as well be doing it with a /do person.

On 7/11/2021 at 7:36 PM, jcat said:

That's refreshing.  I wish I could fade to black during tough guy cop rp.  It's so boring it feels like innocent balls are being flayed.

Wouldn't be the worst thing. The police are a little better than they were in 2018 where they'd pull you over because, I assume, they wanted interaction, but even now it's still time consuming and very predictable. It doesn't really add anything to a story when you're being pulled over for not yielding, and being lectured for 20 minutes. I haven't actually been pulled over yet myself since coming back but I've watched others in that position and it looks like the IC version of staff telling someone off except it's part of RP and meant to be interesting.

Maybe it's some kind of tactic to encourage safer driving.

Edited by shaobadman

Locking. This thread has already gone out of hand. I appreciate you guys voicing your concerns and stating your opinions, but if you wish to do so, you need to do it in a manner where there is no arguing involved, just normal conversations.

• Thanks 1